DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help on getting started

I have the manual and the Quick Start guide and my controller says Ready To Go but nothing happens when I try to start it.

Maybe I need private lessons. I am technically challenged.
so u have the firmware done and the RC and phone connected together and the drone and RC and phone all on and DJI go app launched?

after that you can auto take off (always wait for GPS lock, do not fly without it).

or you can start the motors with the CSC stick command. this means pulling both the sticks down and inwards.

But Pls read the manual twice.

Thanks so much Gary. I have lift off. Now that I know everything is set up, I can go back to the manual. Without it lifting it all seemed so theoretical. I probably will still need lessons. Any idea how one goes about that?

You'll find loads of tutorial videos on youtube. Also reading the threads here on the forum will give you a lot of good pointers, specially on what not to do :)

Thanks so much Gary. I have lift off. Now that I know everything is set up, I can go back to the manual. Without it lifting it all seemed so theoretical. I probably will still need lessons. Any idea how one goes about that?
Local RC clubs and also seeing if any members on here live near you and would happily go out for a days flying with you.

I am no expert on flying by any means, Although lessons are a good idea for anyone new to drones etc. My thoughts are this. go out to a park and start in beginner mode. you are very restricted with this.

In thirty minutes you will also be bored stiff, so land her and take off beginner mode.

charge as many batteries as you can now you have the very basic idea of how the sticks move the Mavic.

Then become your own teacher and have a lot of fun doing it. i found being on here, watching you tube and the local park as much as i could soon had my confidence high.

two weeks later i did my first 1.5 mile flight or 3.4 mile total flight.

once i had built some confidence in the drone and what it can doi and what i can not do. i Then engaged some small night flights starting with just straight up and down movements and no distance flying.

This again just was confidence building that i could actually use the controls pretty much at night as in daylight.

At night the drone is easier to see but harder to get any perspective, Only flying over lit areas gives you any visual reference points.

before you get carried away i know you are truly excited as was I (my drone experience was pretty limited before the mavic).

You are your best teacher, take everything slowly and in one or two weeks you will be flying with good basic control and can up your game.

The following is a terribly edited video but was done on my phone while i was travelling but gives you some idea (at the end of the video of what you face at night) the night footage was not far from the buildings you see in the daytime footage yet you can barely see them, yes they all look pretty but the highest was 1200 feet high.

in the video they all look nice and pretty but give you no idea of heights (i googled the heights of all the buildings around me as well).

just take it stage by stage and you will not lose your mavic and will be flying better than many out there within two weeks.

big park, open field take the manual, a lot of batteries and fly the arse off it as much as you can.

dont piss anyone off and be discreet, dont fly over water buildings people etc until you have the basic controls pretty much mastered.

There is so much more to flying this and operating the camera than you can imagine. there is enough info on the RC to make a 777 pilot weep. he does not have to keep opening boxes and more boxes to find a setting. You do and while you are doing that you are trying to fly a drone and operate a camera/video.

Use your excitment to have a whole lot of fun in the wide open and then you will have a whole lot of fun slowly expanding where and how you fly.

never ever be scared to ask questions here no matter how stupid.

Reactions: Hexagon and YngveN
Gary, that is awesome. Where is that? While I was away form my laptop, I went to the park and flew around. It is amazing. I know nothing but now that I have some context, I can read the manual and watch the youtube videos to see what I should be doing. I don't even know the different operating modes or how to activate the video. All in good time. Thanks for all the advise on my first day.

Gary, that is awesome. Where is that? While I was away form my laptop, I went to the park and flew around. It is amazing. I know nothing but now that I have some context, I can read the manual and watch the youtube videos to see what I should be doing. I don't even know the different operating modes or how to activate the video. All in good time. Thanks for all the advise on my first day.
It was Bangkok, i live between London and Bangkok pretty much,

cool first flight over now u can start to have fun and learn. As i am sure i will be doing for a long time yet.

good luck

Glad you got it all working, enjoy and have fun.
Regards,
-d.

You can try the simulator via the app. You can do this by following these instructions

read the manual and enjoy your flying, build the whole experience up slowly

Reactions: Gary cato
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kotszamana