DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help please and possible cause to catastrophic failure today!

And on this one looks like you flew over a house or something and the ultrasonic altimeter caught it ... then higher (baro) and out of range of the USA..
Quite normal.
DJIFlightRecord_2017-06-13_[12-54-40]
Again ... no data for the end of the flight. I wanted to see the USA all the way to the ground as this flight precedes the accident flight.

upload_2017-6-17_15-58-26.png

Sounds very much like the problem I had. After takeoff the Mavic would climb and climb. It would not respond to a command to descend unless I pushed the stick all the way down, which initiated a landing. There was absolutely nothing blocking the downward sensors.
On advice from fellow Mavic community members here, I exchanged mine for a new one. I have not had the chance to test this one yet,
Very scary and unnerving watching the Mavic fly up and away on its own, ignoring my commmamds.
Boy, I just can't wait for self-driving cars.

Sounds very much like the problem I had. After takeoff the Mavic would climb and climb. It would not respond to a command to descend unless I pushed the stick all the way down, which initiated a landing. There was absolutely nothing blocking the downward sensors.
On advice from fellow Mavic community members here, I exchanged mine for a new one. I have not had the chance to test this one yet,
Very scary and unnerving watching the Mavic fly up and away on its own, ignoring my commmamds.
Boy, I just can't wait for self-driving cars.

Agree totally, I gave stick commands to come back down and it just would not respond to them.
I'm very curious to see what DJI says and How much of a fight I will have regarding warranty and replacement with a new not refurb unit... Only a week old :(

Agree totally, I gave stick commands to come back down and it just would not respond to them.
I'm very curious to see what DJI says and How much of a fight I will have regarding warranty and replacement with a new not refurb unit... Only a week old :(

Where you bought it from will not do an exchange after only a week? They should.
DJI Support seems to be hit and miss...but mostly miss. However, there are people out there who did experience great customer service. I sincerely hope you are one of them!

I'd say your chances are even or better if you can convince them that the VPS failed and confused the drone.

PRESERVE THE DATA. It shows that the VPS altitude did not behave properly. If you have the data from previous flights I'd like to see that too.
i looked at his other flight data and the VPS altitude dis-engaged right at 40feet and remained at zero

i looked at his other flight data and the VPS altitude dis-engaged right at 40feet and remained at zero

Yep, graphs above. So something happened to that sensor between flight 2 and 3.

Still would like the complete data sets of flights 1 and 2. See if it ended with a proper USA altitude capture and landing near 0 m.'

Edit: minor correction

Last edited:
I tested the replacement from BestBuy. This new Mavic does not exhibit this behavior. It behaves as it should, ascending and descending.

I wanted to share what I I hoped would never happen, this company is a complete sham and is a disgrace. Here is the response I received, trying to blame some add on? The only thing on this unit was a filter for the camera. Time to contact the AG in my area and a friend who is an attorney. I will never do business with them again, and wait till they see my social media rant...

Dear Customer,

You repair service of Mavic Pro has been quoted by our repair team. Please refer to the invoice below and complete your payment via paypal.

Invoice

Customer:
Case No:
DJI Care Balance:
Quote Date: 06-22-17
Remarks: Non warranty per data analysis; FLY057 1. Unit was in P-GPS mode and was responsive to RC input; 2. Ultrasonic was not able to detect the height correctly throughout the flight, indicating VPS was blocked by add-ons to the craft. 3. At t=329.5s, user triggered RTH via app and at t=343.49s, unit entered auto landing. 4. Shortly after auto landing, unit entered force landing as unit could detect height via VPS properly 5. At t=364.1s, relative height=177.3m, motor was shut off as unit thought it had landed due to VPS obstruction Force impact date: June 16 2017 Conclusion: VPS obstruction caused motor shut off in air [Non warranty Repair]

Item Quantity Unit Price(USD) Total Price(USD)
Flight Controller ESC Board 1 59.00 59.00
Lower Shell 1 11.00 11.00
Mavic Intelligent Flight Battery (20) 1 89.00 89.00
Front Left Motor Arm 1 22.00 22.00
Upper Cover 1 1.00 1.00
Front Right Motor Arm 1 22.00 22.00
Mavic 8330 Quick-release Folding Propellers 2 9.00 18.00
Middle Frame Module 1 4.00 4.00
Gimbal Arm Module 1 59.00 59.00
Rear Left Motor Arm 1 19.00 19.00
Rear Right Motor Arm 1 19.00 19.00
Repair Service Fee 2 65.00/H 130.00
Freight: 0.00
Total Amount: 453.00
DJI Care deduction: 0.00
Total Payment: 453.00

Did you reply to them that you did not have an "add on"? Work them. Others have seen repair bills cut from $400-$500 to less than $100. In your case $0 is the objective.

But I still don't know why your other two data sets are truncated ... not showing the landing.

I love how the letter starts "Dear Customer." How blatantly impersonal, they have your name somewhere in the repair data.

Honestly, I feel like i'm talking to a Chimpanzee, I plead my case, I have had friends as well as you guys look at the flight data. Its clear that there is a defect with the Drone, there were no add on's to the drone. I don't have time or the energy to deal with someone I can't understand other than a few words or can't give me their address for my Attorney to contact them. I have contacted my Attorney General and they said they would be happy to step in, I have a personal friend that is a Attorney as well and will use him as needed. Its sad that we have to go through this for something so cut and dry. I wanted to believe they were a good company to deal with but that is clearly not the case. There is no negotiation in my eyes, 100 percent new drone delivered to my home period, end of story.

I appreciate everyone's help here, I'm grateful for the work you put in to determine the defect. I can and will exhaust every legal option I have just out of principal. I will keep everyone posted as I have appealed their decision. Either way, I will never buy a product from them again and will let every one I know about my bad experience. Social Media Is a wonderful thing in these situations...

Look at it this way.. I'm pretty sure that majority of the cases they see as "my drone went apeshit, send me a new one" are pilot errors looking for a free replacement because why wouldn't they. So it makes sense for them to simply reject all claims with just a little bit of investigation - those who know their case is BS will mostly likely drop it at that point, saving DJI a ton of money. And since you know your case is legit, don't take no for an answer and go back again. I know it's frustrating but unfortunately it's the norm.

Oh and unless you are Neistat I don't think your social media outreach will have any significant impact on DJI's $B of revenue.. so why not focus on the $1k that makes a difference to you rather than chasing questionable impact on DJI with no benefit to you?

Last edited:
Look at tit this way.. I'm pretty sure that majority of the cases they see as "my drone went apeshit, send me a new one" are pilot errors looking for a free replacement because why wouldn't they. So it makes sense for them to simply reject all claims with just a little bit of investigation - those who know their case is BS will mostly likely drop it at that point, saving DJI a ton of money. And since you know your case is legit, don't take no for an answer and go back again. I know it's frustrating but unfortunately it's the norm.

Oh and unless you are Neistat I don't think your social media outreach will have any significant impact on DJI's $B of revenue.. so why not focus rather on the $1k that makes a difference to you rather than chasing questionable impact on DJI with no benefit to you?

You are right, Will I make an impact Probably not, but it sure feels good venting :) I'm just very disappointed that I have to go to this level for something so obvious. Your points are 100 percent correct, people fly into a house or lake and blame the drone, we know that is simply not the case here.... Appreciate your very useful input.... Maybe I should try the Supervisor Chimpanzee and see where that gets me? LOL

Go get'em... Don't take no crap. Get on DJI forum and ask for DJI Mindy. She helped me out. I sent in for a user crash repair and they send it back without new blades. after talking to her, I received 3 new sets!
Mavic

Reactions: Gondeep11
Go get'em... Don't take no crap. Get on DJI forum and ask for DJI Mindy. She helped me out. I sent in for a user crash repair and they send it back without new blades. after talking to her, I received 3 new sets!
Mavic

The calls get worse and worse, I appealed my Invoice this afternoon with "Ryan" Yea right on the name but never the less, Now "Rose" States no appeal, I asked to speak to a stupidvisor and she quoted me back my invoice is not under warranty....! WTF I'm on hold for a supervisor now...

One hour and 10 min with CS and The Supervisor, It will take 5-7 days to have the drone re-evaluated and he kept saying I can't guarantee anything, once they look at it that's it...He looked at the flight log an kept asking me was there carpet, I said do you mean a Carport? No this launched from my driveway (No Carpet except in the house) and he asked what color was the ground.... I told him Cement like the sidewalk and he stated that could be an issue with the sensors? Are you serious right now? This is actually comical...

The calls get worse and worse, I appealed my Invoice this afternoon with "Ryan" Yea right on the name but never the less, Now "Rose" States no appeal, I asked to speak to a stupidvisor and she quoted me back my invoice is not under warranty....! WTF I'm on hold for a supervisor now...

Do it by e-mail. Works. And you have a "paper" trail to refer to.

I never called them, waste of time. I just got on the forum and gave them my case # and talk to administrators. Still took almost 5 weeks to get it back but I got my own bird back. I just tore off the camera with a tree. And it's been working fine. Oh, I'm 52, so I know how you feel with the customer service now days. People are about $ not customers or doing the right thing. I wish you luck on getting this settled in a timely matter. I almost went crazy with out my mavic for 5 weeks!

Reactions: Gondeep11
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos