DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hey, somebody go check out the new dude in the neighborhood...

WildcatDave

Reactions
Was just goofing around up on Mt. Lemmon (near Tucson, AZ) and this hawk gave my A2 a flyby. I was watching the footage and noticed he REALLY did check out the mechanical bird - look at that head turn. Glad I wasn't shooting a slower shutter. Made me laugh, too funny. Luckily he decided it wasn't lunch or enemy. I never realized that a drone would let me feel like I am flying, maybe I DO need a FPV model...
Hey there.jpg

Attachments

• Hey there.jpg
    Hey there.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 276
Was just goofing around up on Mt. Lemmon (near Tucson, AZ) and this hawk gave my A2 a flyby. I was watching the footage and noticed he REALLY did check out the mechanical bird - look at that head turn. Glad I wasn't shooting a slower shutter. Made me laugh, too funny. Luckily he decided it wasn't lunch or enemy. I never realized that a drone would let me feel like I am flying, maybe I DO need a FPV model...
View attachment 151568
I wish I could read his mind.
Actually it is a FAA Drone doing surveillance, checking registration placards. 😎
B-52D➰

Looks like he's got his wings and tail configured for slow flight, so he must have really been giving your drone a good look. Great photo. Good on you for being ready with the shutter button.

I had a mature Bald Eagle fly beneath the drone a few days ago. But I'd just set the camera to do a panorama and couldn't switch modes quickly enough to get a shot. And he wasn't as close as that hawk was.

Reactions: WildcatDave
I wish I could read his mind.
Actually it is a FAA Drone doing surveillance, checking registration placards. 😎
B-52D➰

I'm sure he was looking down his beak at the drone.

"Noisy punk. Every mouse in the county can hear him a mile away."

"And a coward, too. Afraid of heights. Climbs to 400' AGL and gets a sudden case of acrophobia every time."

"Can't maneuver with the big boys, but I will have to admit that he hovers well."

Looks like he's got his wings and tail configured for slow flight, so he must have really been giving your drone a good look. Great photo. Good on you for being ready with the shutter button.

I had a mature Bald Eagle fly beneath the drone a few days ago. But I'd just set the camera to do a panorama and couldn't switch modes quickly enough to get a shot. And he wasn't as close as that hawk was.
That's actually a frame grab from 4K video. When I get a moment I'll grab a few more snaps and put up the couple second clip of him flying by

View attachment 151568
Such a cool shot!

Here's the video snip when the Red Tail does their inspection dive...

And here is another screen grab of just how close it got...
View attachment 151660
Wow! Very nice. He was really curious. No sign of hostility or hunger, which is good.

I set the play speed down to 0.25 to get a better look. When you're editing again, how about adding a slow motion copy of the clip after the normal speed?

Wow! Very nice. He was really curious. No sign of hostility or hunger, which is good.

I set the play speed down to 0.25 to get a better look. When you're editing again, how about adding a slow motion copy of the clip after the normal speed?
Absolutely. I've just downloaded DaVinci Resolve today so I need all the practice I can get. I'll figure out how to do that in the next day or so. BTW the screen grabs and video clip are 100% stock out of "old" Air 2 using normal, 4K, 60fps, auto mode. It does a really good job even with that tiny sensor considering I was over 9,000 feet up on a bright sunny day. Very balanced dynamic range and decent detail everywhere. The buildings below the hawk are the Mt. Lemmon observatory.

EDIT: The top of the mountain was 9,000+ ft. The drone was only up ~300 ft. Hope that wasn't confusing...

Last edited:
Absolutely. I've just downloaded DaVinci Resolve today so I need all the practice I can get. I'll figure out how to do that in the next day or so. BTW the screen grabs and video clip are 100% stock out of "old" Air 2 using normal, 4K, 60fps, auto mode. It does a really good job even with that tiny sensor considering I was over 9,000 feet up on a bright sunny day. Very balanced dynamic range and decent detail everywhere. The buildings below the hawk are the Mt. Lemmon observatory.
Awesome!

View attachment 151568
lucky

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet