DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do you catch your mavic pro?

Liamcupra

Reactions
Basically I want to fly from a tight spot and I want to catch my drone and also take off by hand, I’ve been told to turn the sensors off and pull down the thumb so the mavic struggles and turns off in your hand, anyone got a step by step guide on how to do it?

Doing it this way you do not turn off the sensors. I like it better than the hold your hand out and land routine because I am moving my hand at it when at hover instead of it dropping down to my hand. I feel I have more control over the situation. This video shows how to grasp the MP in front of the sensors so it does not fight the landing.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Don't fight with it after you grab it, just turn it on the side and motors stop right away !

Hey kids....don't try this at home; he is a DJI Professional !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Doug D
Don't fight with it after you grab it, just turn it on the side and motors stop right away !

So once I grab it I turn it on it’s side and the motors will stop automatically? What steps do you take?

Doing it this way you do not turn off the sensors. I like it better than the hold your hand out and land routine because I am moving my hand at it when at hover instead of it dropping down to my hand. I feel I have more control over the situation. This video shows how to grasp the MP in front of the sensors so it does not fight the landing.

What is the step by step guide to that, couldn’t really understand it haha

Grab it like on the video, don't do nothing with set up or anything but don't hesitate when you grab it so the sensor don't have time to react. After you grab it, let say it's at 12 o'clock, lower your arm to 3 o'clock or 9 if left hand LOL ....so the drone is 90 degree (side way) et voila !

I can make a video tomorrow if you like.... it very easy, actually easiest way !

Reactions: Liamcupra
Grab it like on the video, don't do nothing with set up or anything but don't hesitate when you grab it so the sensor don't have time to react. After you grab it, let say it's at 12 oclock, lower your arm to 9 o clock et voila !

I can make a video tomorrow if you like.... it very easy, actually easiest way !

I’ve be so greatly for that!

Grab it like on the video, don't do nothing with set up or anything but don't hesitate when you grab it so the sensor don't have time to react. After you grab it, let say it's at 12 oclock, lower your arm to 9 o clock et voila !

So once I grab it do I just press the thumb stick down for like 3-7 seconds

Can i ask you why you want to hand catch. just a question?

Oh, that was your OP.
Well its good to know how to do. Anyeone can do, But I wouldnt reccomend doing it
unless your practicising to get so good at it you can kill the motors and then catch it.

Thats how the Pros hand catch

Last edited:
So once I grab it do I just press the thumb stick down for like 3-7 seconds
No, motors shut by themselves.

The reason for hand catch is when the landing surface is not risk free. Like landing on a beach, tall grass, uneven surface, on a rocking boat.

Last edited:
No, motors shut by themselves.

The reason for hand catch is when the landing surface is not risk free. Like landing on a beach, tall grass, uneven surface, on a rocking boat.

Here is a video I found that show how quick it made. My technique is different as describe but the principle is the same.

I’m going to try that now and if I have lose a hand im putting a claim in [emoji23]

Can i ask you why you want to hand catch. just a question?

Oh, that was your OP.
Well its good to know how to do. Anyeone can do, But I wouldnt reccomend doing it
unless your practicising to get so good at it you can kill the motors and then catch it.

Thats how the Pros hand catch

Because I want to launch from like beaches and off rocks and sometimes it’s hard to land it due to uneven ground and long grass etc it’s really common and skilful to use the hand technique

@Liamcupra, watch the video in post #2 above. It will show you everything you need to know.

Yup!

This will add some strain to the gimbal as it tries to keep the camera steady. I don't know if it is enough to matter, just something to think about.

A
@Liamcupra, watch the video in post #2 above. It will show you everything you need to know.
Is there something wrong or more dangerous by stopping the motor by turning on the side ? I find it easier as anyway you are grabbing it with propellers spinning. My technique is different that the guy on the video (I just turn it on the side; smoothly ) ....for me, easier than having the drone in one hand and to shut the motor with the controller. At least, you have learned something new look like !

Last edited:
Reactions: mereflyer
However you hand launch/land, it is much easier to do if you have your RC supported with some kind of lanyard. Holding the RC and controlling the sticks (or swiping the screen) with one hand isn't easy.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
I found it easy by hovering the drone over my hand turning all sensors off, and then pressing the land feature & as it begins to lower I put the controller into my body and flicking the land button again as quick as possible, surprisingly easy you just have to take your time in each step

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM