DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do you guys deal with Children when flying?

Green a mint is an over the counter laxative yes... A laxative is a drug...in this day and time you were totally out of line...let the consequences fall were they fall
Or...
24321d1ff850ec0257f587ed9d43c5af.jpg

[QUOTE=" The rangers saw the kids running after the drones and eventually came over and told the parent he is responsible for the children and that I didn't want them over there for safety reasons...
So no one questions the fact that he was flying a drone in a park with rangers?[/QUOTE]
Why would anyone question this? There are parks in the United States that are legal to fly in. I also specifically said it is a designated rc Park but there are also parks in Arizona that aren't designated but you can fly in. I don't know why the heck the drone police here assume someone is always doing something illegal.

So no one questions the fact that he was flying a drone in a park with rangers?

I just did the same myself this last week. If you ask first, sometimes they are cool about letting people fly. I've been to a local historical park staffed by park rangers where they will let you fly most of the time. The only time they have said no was one time when there was a decent sized crowd, which I completely understood.[/QUOTE]
There are tons of parks here in AZ that are legal to fly in and there are also designated rc parks.

Speaking of children, my wife & I went to great efforts in child proofing our home,But, the little buggers still get in!!
R

Reactions: joejaxvic123
I usually fly from my own property. One day a neighbor's 8 year old came over all excited. He said he could fly a drone and wanted to fly my Phantom 4. I asked him to go get his drone and fly it here. He then said that his was in a tree! I asked him why would I let him fly mine if he crashed his in a tree!. He stood around a couple of minutes and left. Like was mentioned earlier in a post, if the kids find the drone flying to be boring, they lose interest and leave for something more exciting. Just fly it around in a large circle at about 300 feet and after one or two turns, they will be gone.

Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

Reactions: Classic flyer
Since when is it wrong to yell at unattended children? I would first advise them nicely, and if that didn't faze them, I would certainly fake a hostile persona. One thing is for sure: I would refuse to be intimidated by children who have not been taught basic respect or be bullied by their parents! What's wrong with people?

I fly all the time on the beaches in Mexico. There are not many droners so using one is often attention getting. For young children, with parental approval, I will answer their questions and if they are big enough (or with parent's help) will let them try my Goggles while I fly. I want parents and children to learn that drones can be cool, fun and safe. I show them a safe landing and let them look over my MP. With teenagers and adults, I will let them fly the drone--never over water--and only 20-30 meters away and 30 meters high and wear the Goggles while I fly. Most are too fearful of doing damage so they don't object when I say, "Too far" or "that's enough, now turn it around and bring it back." I think the best thing we can do is be good ambassadors for the drone community and show people how drones are fun, entertaining, educational, etc.

I am not usually a park flyer unless I am testing something out because they are close to home. Today I went to a local park. I setup and started to pilot my MP. There was a fixed wing guy there with his kids. He finished up and was just hanging out at his bench talking to a friend. His kids came and were asking tons of questions, usually this is not a big deal. Normally I will just bring the bird in and talk to them but these kids kept walking over my other equipment and they were running after my drones when I had them in the air. Pretty dangerous if she falls out of the sky not to mention every time I would take off and land they would run back and stand right next to my landing pad and I would have to land further out and make sure my son grabbed my MP...

I went over to the parent and told him that his children could get hurt. He told me this is a park and to deal with it. The rangers saw the kids running after the drones and eventually came over and told the parent he is responsible for the children and that I didn't want them over there for safety reasons...

I am just curious how you guys deal with this kind of thing.. The park is just an open field designated for RC's. I know that most reasonable parents would stop their children if I told them there was a safety concern.. These were young kids around 5 and 6.

Lol : I think you and me our the only ones that our a magnet for kids, dogs and strollers.

Sometimes these conditions force you to have to hand catch your drone , the problem with that is it can be risky
and once kids see you do it , they want to do it also, ugh.

You might consider the Lunar Landing Pad something I designed for taking more control of your drone in close quarter conditions, as well as bringing other benefits to the table.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your mavic in and out of the storm.

Really old thread !!
FWIW . . .

I know that most reasonable parents would stop their children

This in the original post about sums it up.
The bloke was just an idiot, and hopefully you haven't / won't find too many on your drone outings.

Are you allowed to own a taser where you live ?? Or pepper spray ?? ?
If not for the children, then the parent ??

Really old thread !!
FWIW . . .

This in the original post about sums it up.
The bloke was just an idiot, and hopefully you haven't / won't find too many on your drone outings.

Are you allowed to own a taser where you live ?? Or pepper spray ?? ?
If not for the children, then the parent ??
Why all the violence...just leave and come back another day or find some place else to fly that day...be smart fly safe and for crying out loud be CIVIL

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_