DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do you log your Drone hours?

bfindlay

Reactions
Hi everyone,

Just curious as to how everyone logs their drone hours. Aside from the DJI app logging flight time, do you use an excel spreadsheet, paper sheet?

Next question would be do you log personal flight time as well as a separate logbook for flight time on drone?

This is required for any RPAS in Canada regardless of weight and can help when it comes to selling the drone if you ever decide to as there will be documentation for everything.

Last edited:
I erase my electronic flight logs often. Creating a spreadsheet and then taking the time to actually enter hours into it just seems.....more obsessive than I feel when it comes to flying this toy around.

Reactions: bfindlay
Thanks for the advice everyone. Just curious what others do. Not a bad idea because I’m sure some of us fly more than 1 drone so it’s good to apply the same methods to whatever drone you’re flying

I picked up 2 small notebooks for my RC aircraft.
I record location,rc aircraft,check for NOTAMS and weather,people I fly with,location,time of each flight and time of day in one notebook,and any repairs and/or maintenance in another. This takes about 10 minutes before I leave the flying location.
I tend to stay away from electronic versions, as I worry about data loss.

If you must...screen shot of the DJI log should do. super simple and you'll probably be able to document lots of evidence there that you might not have had line of sight along with other inadvertent rules violations....yikes!

OZ Log Book.JPG

This recommended logbook format can be downloaded from the OZ CASA website.
Although the spreadsheet idea would make it easier to tally training, work projects, and fun flying totals.

Yeah, not required for this toy tho :)
Good for you young man! Must be fun

Let's take it easy on the condescending attitude. We're better than this. If you don't log that's fine but if someone wants to (regardless of their reasoning) that's perfectly fine and actually suggested by many in the industry.

Some people log because they just want to have an idea of how much Ari Time. Some do because they need to for certain "requirements", and some do because they like #'s and want to track everything they do. Nothing wrong with that.

To the OP:
We log every flight utilizing AirData as suggested above by others. It is super easy, tracks different aircraft, different pilots and more.

Let's take it easy on the condescending attitude. We're better than this. If you don't log that's fine but if someone wants to (regardless of their reasoning) that's perfectly fine and actually suggested by many in the industry.

Some people log because they just want to have an idea of how much Ari Time. Some do because they need to for certain "requirements", and some do because they like #'s and want to track everything they do. Nothing wrong with that.

To the OP:
We log every flight utilizing AirData as suggested above by others. It is super easy, tracks different aircraft, different pilots and more.
WHAAAAAT?! Can't take a joke? ....just move on

• Angry
Reactions: BigAl07
Yeah, not required for this toy tho :)
Good for you young man! Must be fun
I do actually think you technically are required to keep a personal log regardless of whether its a toy. The 250 gram rule comes into play when you're discussing registering a drone and in order to operate a drone 250 grams or higher is when the certificate is required. The regs state that a log is required for any remotely piloted aircraft system (RPAS). Weight has nothing to do with the determination of an RPAS. Anything flown remotely is technically an RPAS.

• 901.48 (1) Every owner of a remotely piloted aircraft system shall keep the following records:
    • (a) a record containing the names of the pilots and other crew members who are involved in each flight and, in respect of the system, the time of each flight or series of flights; and
    • (b) a record containing the particulars of any mandatory action and any other maintenance action, modification or repair performed on the system, including
      • (i) the names of the persons who performed them,
      • (ii) the dates they were undertaken,
      • (iii) in the case of a modification, the manufacturer, model and a description of the part or equipment installed to modify the system, and
      • (iv) if applicable, any instructions provided to complete the work.

I do actually think you technically are required to keep a personal log regardless of whether its a toy. The 250 gram rule comes into play when you're discussing registering a drone and in order to operate a drone 250 grams or higher is when the certificate is required. The regs state that a log is required for any remotely piloted aircraft system (RPAS). Weight has nothing to do with the determination of an RPAS. Anything flown remotely is technically an RPAS.

• 901.48(1) Every owner of a remotely piloted aircraft system shall keep the following records:
    • (a) a record containing the names of the pilots and other crew members who are involved in each flight and, in respect of the system, the time of each flight or series of flights; and
    • (b) a record containing the particulars of any mandatory action and any other maintenance action, modification or repair performed on the system, including
      • (i) the names of the persons who performed them,
      • (ii) the dates they were undertaken,
      • (iii) in the case of a modification, the manufacturer, model and a description of the part or equipment installed to modify the system, and
      • (iv) if applicable, any instructions provided to complete the work.
Correct.Had the same conversation with a Transport Canada representative. The ONLY difference seems to be licensing and registration in Canada.All other RPAS regulations apply.

Correct.Had the same conversation with a Transport Canada representative. The ONLY difference seems to be licensing and registration in Canada.All other RPAS regulations apply.
Exactly. The only thing the 249 grams saves you from is simply doing the online test and registering the drone. Every single rule applies. I suppose some might argue the not registering part saves you the hassle of dealing with TC if you do something reckless and then lose the drone. There won't be any quick way to track you. Something I was looking into though which some might not think about is the second you fly your drone with the prop guards on, I believe it puts you over the 250 grams so technically you do need to have a certificate and a registration for the drone. Hard to say if TC would actually nail you on this technicality but odds are they will seeing as the risk drones pose to all other forms of aviation.

Reactions: Thanev
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saikiran Villa