DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How does the FAA check the source?

The only time the FAA will come knocking is if someone is injured, or you buzz a one of the few towers that are testing the new drone detection system. There are just too many pilots and not enough FAA inspectors to keep it all under surveillance, today, tomorrow...not so sure.

I do know that DJI receives every bit of data that flows through the Go4 app. As a general aviation pilot, my biggest concern is meeting a meta-vac chopper, they don't have to follow the 1000 foot minimum. I actually met one in Houston Texas at my altitude, but far enough away it wasn't cause for alarm; I was at or below 400 AGL.

“Dedrone, for example, is building a solution which integrates data from our sensors, video cameras and radar technology. If it is determined that a drone is encroaching into the area this data can then be used to trigger a jammer. The jammer will interfere with the radio signals the drone uses to communicate with the pilot, causing it to land or in some cases fly back to where it took off.”

above work sited:

The only time the FAA will come knocking is if someone is injured, or you buzz a one of the few towers that are testing the new drone detection system. There are just too many pilots and not enough FAA inspectors to keep it all under surveillance, today, tomorrow...not so sure.

I do know that DJI receives every bit of data that flows through the Go4 app. As a general aviation pilot, my biggest concern is meeting a meta-vac chopper, they don't have to follow the 1000 foot minimum. I actually met one in Houston Texas at my altitude, but far enough away it wasn't cause for alarm; I was at or below 400 AGL.

“Dedrone, for example, is building a solution which integrates data from our sensors, video cameras and radar technology. If it is determined that a drone is encroaching into the area this data can then be used to trigger a jammer. The jammer will interfere with the radio signals the drone uses to communicate with the pilot, causing it to land or in some cases fly back to where it took off.”

above work sited:
BIG BROTHER IS ALWAYS WATCHING SO FLY SMART FLY SAFE

I do know that DJI receives every bit of data that flows through the Go4 app.
Really?
How would any of that data be transmitted to DJI?
How would DJI ever get to see anything unless you choose to share it with them?

BIG BROTHER IS ALWAYS WATCHING SO FLY SMART FLY SAFE
i won't argue with that for a second. they are collecting data for certain. They could always pick you at random.
Are you talking about the FAA?
This FAA?
The FAA Hasn't Been Enforcing Unlicensed Drone Piloting Penalties

Last edited:
I for one don’t like the fact hobbyist should be selling anything unless they pass Part 107. When you do, you undermine those of us who follow the rules for “commercial enterprises”. I see ads from people offering to take aerials for $50. I see samples of their photos flying over crowds as well as traffic. As a guy trying to make a living in the industry it pisses me off that this practice is rampant. Am I going to rat you out to the FAA...probably not. But I will call you out for being a douche bag. Want to sell your photos and videos, then get licensed, buy insurance, and make a commitment to stay current on training. Then you will perhaps understand why it’s not okay to sell $50 photos. Having a camera does not make someone a photographer nor does having a drone make someone a pilot.

Just my two cents

I for one don’t like the fact hobbyist should be selling anything unless they pass Part 107. When you do, you undermine those of us who follow the rules for “commercial enterprises”. I see ads from people offering to take aerials for $50. I see samples of their photos flying over crowds as well as traffic. As a guy trying to make a living in the industry it pisses me off that this practice is rampant. Am I going to rat you out to the FAA...probably not. But I will call you out for being a douche bag. Want to sell your photos and videos, then get licensed, buy insurance, and make a commitment to stay current on training. Then you will perhaps understand why it’s not okay to sell $50 photos. Having a camera does not make someone a photographer nor does having a drone make someone a pilot.

Just my two cents
I have never sold or shared a photo or video, and have no plans to. So dont think I am defending myself here.
BUT, to add to your thoughts, I might also add that having a 107 doesn't make you a better photographer, a better pilot, or a btter business person either. It just makes you an honest American.
It is too bad there are people that actually believe that spending a few dollars on a permit makes them BETTER at anything.
At $50 a pop, a few times a month it is not making a living its a HOBBY.
If you think a photo taken from a flying shoe is worth more than $50 you absolutely should have all the commercial credentials. 107, insurance, Federal Tax ID, State tax ID, dedicated phone and address, business cards, letterhead etc. But I think the days of making a living with a flying camera are coming to an end. If you have not built a solid client base by now.
Drones and HD cameras are so cheap and easy to come by, and easy to operate. People will just buy one and do it themselves.
Just my change for your 2 cents! :D

I have never sold or shared a photo or video, and have no plans to. So dont think I am defending myself here.
BUT, to add to your thoughts, I might also add that having a 107 doesn't make you a better photographer, a better pilot, or a btter business person either. It just makes you an honest American.
It is too bad there are people that actually believe that spending a few dollars on a permit makes them BETTER at anything.
If you think a photo taken from a flying shoe is worth more than $50 you absolutely should have all the commercial credentials. 107, insurance, Federal Tax ID, State tax ID, dedicated phone and address, business cards, letterhead etc. But I think the days of making a living with a flying camera are coming to an end. If you have not built a solid client base by now.
Drones and HD cameras are so cheap and easy to come by, and easy to operate. People will just buy one and do it themselves.
I agreed with you about it. If the 107 pilot has not been in the business for the last three to five years... Getting now a 107 is not going to make a living out it automatically. It's like when you get your diploma of graphic design.You get the diploma but where is your portfolio of previous work and your website? Not as easy as some people think it is.

Reactions: Classic flyer
It does seem that the days of shooting with a flying camera are short lived at least for people just getting started. I've built and continue to build a great client base that will supplement my income for a few more years. When you consider the drive time, preflight checklist, Tower notification of flight, and then the amount of time it takes to edit shots for color grading, clarity, etc I make about $1.02 an hour. I do it for the love of the "Hobby". I still do some Pro Bono work if I believe it will lead to future work. So far everytime it has done just that. After 40 years as a photographer and 3 as a pilot I feel better qualified to produce solid work. I've seen some really bad photos posted (NOT HERE) of crap that people are showing as examples of their work. I suppose $50 is a bargain when I look at it that way.

Reactions: ac0j
It does seem that the days of shooting with a flying camera are short lived at least for people just getting started. I've built and continue to build a great client base that will supplement my income for a few more years. When you consider the drive time, preflight checklist, Tower notification of flight, and then the amount of time it takes to edit shots for color grading, clarity, etc I make about $1.02 an hour. I do it for the love of the "Hobby". I still do some Pro Bono work if I believe it will lead to future work. So far everytime it has done just that. After 40 years as a photographer and 3 as a pilot I feel better qualified to produce solid work. I've seen some really bad photos posted (NOT HERE) of crap that people are showing as examples of their work. I suppose $50 is a bargain when I look at it that way.
Most consumers know when they want a professional photo, or just a picture. And they know there is a huge price difference. But, anyone with a capable flying camera can just take 20-30 photos at random settings and eventually get an decent usable picture.
Just like Quick books software has replaced many book keeping jobs in small business's, the consumer grade HD drones will cost "avererage " professional photographers jobs. Its just progress.

Purely an academic discussion: Let's say I do not have Part 107 and I donate my works to someone (doesn't matter who). At some point, that someone decides to use my donation for a profit. How can/does the FAA go about determining the source of the material? If the someone forgets the source, honest or not, how would/could the FAA proceed?

They are tracking your profile as we speak...

Why would he need a 107 to own property?

As I understand it, part 107 applies to virtually all flights other than hobby. A farm is a business. If using a drone for business ie: doing a flyover to check on crop growth, the faa would likely consider this a non-hobby flight this requiring a part 107 license.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kotszamana