DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How many SD cards for a road trip?

M4RK

Reactions
Hoping to travel to NZ to do a 3 week road trip around the south island over Christmas this year and obviously taking my Mavic buddy along too!

Won't be able to take a laptop so probably going to have to rely on SD cards for keeping the raw videos taken.

How many do you think I might need?

Or is there another way to store the raw footage over there before I get home?

I have a Kingston wireless G2 that I can plug a pen drive or USB powered hard drive into as well as the SD card and offload each day.

This saved my footage in the USA when half way through my 3 week road trip my GoPro ended up at the bottom of the Colorado river!

I do highly advise that you find a way to transfer footage off the SD cards. If you do happen to lose your Mavic while away, you'll also lose all the footage on that card.

That aside:
If you're shooting in 4k you'll need ~450MB per minute of video footage.
If you're shooting in 2.7k you'll need ~350MB per minute of video footage.

I just came back from a 3 week trip around the South Island and took ~4,000 photos (including those taken on my DSLR). I'm not much of a video guy so only ended up with about 10 minutes of video footage for the whole trip.

You can download high res images to your phone in the app too.

I bought an OTG USB-Hub (Hama OTG USB 2.0 Hub für Smartphone/Tablet: Amazon.de: Computer & Zubehör) and attach an external harddrive and a Micro-SD USB-adapter to it.
So my smartphone can copy directly from one to the other.
Besides I can watch footage (or videos) on my phone.
If the hard drive does not have a battery, you can attach an battery-pack to the OTG hub and the HDD will work!
Works great for me!

Reactions: stratos
NZ is so beautiful that you will be filling you card at every flght better bring a hard drive abd download after each flight

I am currently travelling Malaysia and after that Indonesia. So far my backup solution works great.
I only have 2x 64gb sd cards. I backup my mavic footage and fujicam photos to my toshiba aerocast wifi harddrive. You dont need an interface for the backup. Just plug in the sd card and the drive starts automatically copying all new files. I love it.

Personally, I would use a different card for each day of the trip.

They are inexpensive and lightweight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krasto