DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How much better is the MP2 vs MAir?

ChopSticks

Reactions
Now that the Mavic 2 pricing is available and it's official, is it twice as good as the Air? As a MP1 owner with a fudged up gimbal, was looking to getting the Air but wanted to wait for the 2 just in case. Mostly all my videos are taken abroad so compact-ability is weighted heavier as for priority. But since I've always traveled with the MP1 the MP2 won't make much of a difference if the features greatly out weigh the Air. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Im definitely gonna get one. Collision avoidance
On all sides. Better camera, more features. Its the same price as a p4p but the camera is slightly better and its in the small package that makes it a go anywhere drone. Price is steep so thats a negative and im gonna wait a while to make sure theres not any inherent problems but i think its gonna be way better than the mavic pro.

Yeah I guess what I was trying to calculate is how much better, for instance would only filmmakers tell the difference between the cameras? At what point does it not make a difference anymore

Retail price wouldn't be bad but if it included the fly more, but to include + filters it's going to be hitting the 2k mark and at that point not sure if it's worth it.

MA is pretty slow, has limited range/link reliability, narrow gimbal movement range...

Can't know whether that's important to you.

Thought the Air was 42mph? which is similar to MP1?

The lack of occusync def wasn't great, but considering these last few trips think the range is fine.

Any more info on the narrow gimbal movement range?

The lack of occusync def wasn't great, but considering these last few trips think the range is fine.

I've had my MA out over 2000' and over a river with no problems.
The only thing limiting range at this point is my sweaty hands! ;)

There is a setting to extend the gimbal's upward tilt if that's what is meant by limited movement.
It won't shoot straight up like an Anafi but it goes up pretty far.
You have to look in the Advanced Settings. Thumbswayup

Last edited:
Reactions: mad monkey
Collision avoidance
On all sides..
Have you seen the notice regarding collision detection while flying left and right ? The collision detection for left and right side is working only in a few modes, and the warranty won't cover and crash while flying left and right, even in those modes. I think those sensors are just simple proximity sensors, and not dual camera, like the ones in the front, back.

M
Yeah I guess what I was trying to calculate is how much better, for instance would only filmmakers tell the difference between the cameras? At what point does it not make a difference anymore

Retail price wouldn't be bad but if it included the fly more, but to include + filters it's going to be hitting the 2k mark and at that point not sure if it's worth it.

Only you can know if it is worth it. The Air's camera is generally considered slightly better than your Mavic Pro. Since you have one, if that was good for you, then you'll be good with the Air. If you wanted more from the camera, you may want to move up to one of the M2s.

I'm in love with the Air's size, but outside of that and price, seems like everything else should be better on the M2. I am not buying the M2 as of now, as I'm happy with the Air. If I didn't yet have the MA, I probably would end up with the M2, but to your point it is a big price jump and I would think long and hard about it....

Reactions: Underdog1964
Think there isn't any argument there, my question is, is it twice as better? or worth double the cost?
Of course there isn't any argument.

In technical terms, mavic2 is better than ma, in every aspect. It's completely another drone.

I don't know how we can measure this"twice as better" but the price, compared to phantoms, is fair.

Reactions: Underdog1964

Air is "as fast" on max speed specs but you have to be in sports mode, and it doesn't say that becasue of the narrow gimbal movement range when you actually go that fast you lose proper gimbal stabilization, can only look down, and the gimbal will get bumped when you do harsh movements.
In P mode where it makes sure you have proper gimbal range and no bumps aka what you need for an actual shoot it only goes 18mph.

Last edited:
Think there isn't any argument there, my question is, is it twice as better? or worth double the cost?

Depends what you want it for.

I bought the drone for photography. My existing MP (and the MA) camera is awful. Very basic, very low quality and extremely limiting. So for me the much improved MP2 camera was a fairly easy choice.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joel_du05