DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How stupid is it to fly with out app?

Shortly after I got my Mavic, my phone would discharge very quickly while flying, so I tried flying without it, the Mavic was only able to go a short distance away While flying without the phone, so I felt pretty confident.
Anyone know what these limitations are? I've looked through the manual for them; Are they different than flying with the phone only?

Shortly after I got my Mavic, my phone would discharge very quickly while flying, so I tried flying without it, the Mavic was only able to go a short distance away While flying without the phone, so I felt pretty confident.
You were probably still in beginners mode, which limited your range. Once that is turned off, your distance is limited by the conditions and max range of the system. Having said that, without the camera display, map, and "radar" view you really need to keep it close. The Mavic is too easy to lose sight of once it goes very far.

One thing you should practice even with a device connected to the RC, is how to recognize the direction of flight by using the RC display and watching the Distance readout. The time may come when your app will crash or your display will die and you should feel confident that you can get it back without the app display.

EDIT Dec. 20: I just confirmed this tonight; if you start the Mavic and controller only you will be limited to 30m high and 50m distance.

Last edited:
Reactions: HiKen51 and rfc
Anyone know what these limitations are? I've looked through the manual for them; Are they different than flying with the phone only?
The flight range with or without the phone/tablet are the same. You just do not get all the special flight modes and camera display that the app gets you.

EDIT Dec. 20: I just confirmed this tonight; if you start the Mavic and controller only you will be limited to 30m high and 50m distance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Simmo
I actually used this (not by choice...I lost all video on the App). By carefully using left stick left/right, and right stick forward, watching for the telemetry to tell you when you are getting closer to home, you can get home safely. Not sure it's any better than just pressing RTH, of course, but I, for one, am going to practice it some more intentionally. I just dont trust the app much.

First off you do not need phone/tablet or any screen to fly Mavic. Mavic is dedicated to the RC and phone is just a display and secondary means of altering parameters.
All settings that you set in settings on the phone/tablet in the app are stored in the memory of the Mavic, NOT on the app so if using RC only all settings such as RTH height, RTH/land/hover on signal loss, low battery levels, VPS on or off are as they were when you set them last in the app and will stay that way untill you change then via an app (ie plug in any phone / tablet with GO4. So remember what your RTH was if just using RC, ie did you have it set for RTH or Hover or Land. What height did you have set for Mavic to rise and is it suitable for where you are to just use RC if RTH kicks in.
But always remember that on RC alone you can cancel RTH by pressing the RTH button once when RTH has been activated or just switch the sports mode switch into sports mode.
Learn to use the graphics on the RC screen to fly your Mavic and Never Never soley rely on your app.

Reactions: rfc
Yes, it's limited to 30m up/50m away when the app is not running.
You are absolutely correct. I just took mine outside, turned on Mavic and controller only, and it's range was limited to 30m high and 50m distance. I will have to test getting it downrange and unplugging my tablet when I have some daylight.

Last edited:
You are absolutely correct. I just took mine outside, turned on Mavic and controller only, and it's range was limited to 30m high and 50m distance. I will have to test getting it downrange and unplugging my tablet when I have some daylight.
Will you test what happens if you are beyond the limits (using the tablet), then unplugging? It won't just come back to get within the limits without warning, I hope.

Will you test what happens if you are beyond the limits (using the tablet), then unplugging? It won't just come back to get within the limits without warning, I hope.
I will get it higher and further out, unplug my tablet, and then watch it without giving inputs. Then I'll try flying around a bit.

I know I have had an app crash with it out a ways but just concentrated on getting it back.

I will get it higher and further out, unplug my tablet, and then watch it without giving inputs. Then I'll try flying around a bit...
OK, I ran the test. I started with the RC only and was limited in height and distance. I then started with the tablet running Go 4, flew it higher and further out, then unplugged the tablet. It hovered in place until I gave stick inputs. I was able to continue flying away and heigher with the RC only. It did stop rising when it hit the 400 ft set limit. It worked the same with both Go 4 and Litchi. The RTH button on the remote worked as it should.

What a great bit of information. Keep calm and keep flying, because if you lose the app you most definitely can fly with just the RC. I love this forum I keep learning more and more.

Reactions: Seanjo
So I pick my kids up from school...I got here early today to get some fly time in around the soccer fields. Anyway, I realized I left the stupid phone I use to run the DJI app on,charging at home. It’s it a real bad idea to fly without it? I’m not looking to record anything obviously, just do some low altitude hot laps. I don’t have enough time to go home, get the phone and come back. Should I just stay grounded?

Last summer on a Kayak river trip on the Southfork of the Fortymile River in Interior Alaska where I live, first river trip of the season with my new Mavic Pro (I was driving the cataraft mothership) my wife decided to do me a favor by hanging my life vest on the seat of my raft, I had carefully laid my vest on the bank high and dry because my iPhone was in one of the pockets, when I was finally ready after setting up camp to fly my Mavic I saw my vest on the seat with the pocket my Iphone was in hanging down in the water. I was devastated but did fly it with just the controller, I wasn’t able to see what the camera was seeing and had to keep it close, but other that that, there wasn’t much difference. There is a RTH button on the controller if you need it.

Yes, it's limited to 30m up/50m away when the app is not running.
With Mavic firmware later than 01.03.0700 the phone must be connected and app running during take off to remove the 30m/50m restriction. The phone doesn't need to stay connected after takeoff. I fly without the phone a lot just for the joy of flying, so I've kept the Mavic at 01.03.0700 firmware just to avoid that restriction. This and the new pre takeoff tests are taking the fun out of flying. Might try Bebop for next drone.

Would RTH settings be the same as previous flight ?
Ie. If left at RTH default 30m, it will still apply this ?
Another point to consider, wireless signal loss . . . same thing, would it be default RTH 30m, or maybe last setting it was on (hover or land) ?

Your RTH settings are stored on board the drone in a second SD card located on the controller board. Those settings are set via the app interface but resident to the drone. You have full control of the drone (except for the video functions) with just the remote. Including the RTH function.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
So I pick my kids up from school...I got here early today to get some fly time in around the soccer fields. Anyway, I realized I left the stupid phone I use to run the DJI app on,charging at home. It’s it a real bad idea to fly without it? I’m not looking to record anything obviously, just do some low altitude hot laps. I don’t have enough time to go home, get the phone and come back. Should I just stay grounded?

Totally fly it! It’s no different than flying other drones with RCs. The Pause and RTH buttons work. Have fun!

Reactions: drakkor
My DJIGO4 app crashes a lot on my Galaxy S5 but I am still able to pilot the drone without the phone no problem when that happen. Also the other day I was flying with a friend who have a Mavic as well but had his iPhone out of battery and was just flying his drone with only the controller on 2 different batteries. All was fine, including drone recording RTH position and going back to it just using the controller :)

Of course in a perfect world I would still be worry just using the controller, and rather have the peace of mind of the app running as well. But in extreme cases where you have to fly and don't have too much choices, it's indeed possible to do so.

I'm running older version firmware but I did a test yesterday. Flew to 1,000 feet distance then to 400' height with just rc and apparently have no restriction.

... EDIT Dec. 20: I just confirmed this tonight; if you start the Mavic and controller only you will be limited to 30m high and 50m distance.
This limitation has to do with the Go4 app not logging into your account. Even when you have no wifi/data, the app internally recognizes your account and removes the limitations.
OK, I ran the test. I started with the RC only and was limited in height and distance. I then started with the tablet running Go 4, flew it higher and further out, then unplugged the tablet. It hovered in place until I gave stick inputs. I was able to continue flying away and heigher with the RC only. It did stop rising when it hit the 400 ft set limit. It worked the same with both Go 4 and Litchi. The RTH button on the remote worked as it should.
Once your account verification has been detected by the app, the flight limitations are lifted until the drone is powered down. So you would have full control if you start any flight with the app connected then disconnect your phone/tablet; similar to the app crashing mid-flight.

Last edited:
Fly it. Keep it in sight and have fun. RTH and cancel buttons will work and you have battery strength, speed, distance, and height readouts on the RC. Everyone should feel confident flying without a phone/tablet because if you have not had the app crash or device die, you will. Think of it as practice for when it happens.

"IF" you can handle the worst case, everything is a piece of cake. Military - Train, drill & practice

Reactions: rfc
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu