DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to crash a Mavic Mini into the sea after a distance test. Stupid I know. Your input?

Wondering if switching to sport mode would have helped get her back once you started getting the high wind warning? (On your return trip). But I am also guessing that this would require more battery usage? So it would not have helped?

That was the most painful video to watch, end to END (pardon the pun) that I’ve ever seen on the forum. Thanks for being brave enough to share it though. How far were you hoping to get to? Norway ?. I would have “bailed out” at the first strong wind / return home manually warning. I couldn’t believe it when you got signal back after the first lengthy disconnect! Amazed how calm you kept. A lot of lessons for many of us I would think.

Last edited:
Very nice movie. I like the way you were multi-tasking and sharing it with us. Lessons learned. Thank you.

This could have been avoided if the followings were done :

1) check the latest weather report before flying. the drone was flying against the wind on it's way back. That's why in went into the water
2) check the wind direction at the spot by using the attitude indicator available on the latest fly app version 1.2.2
3) at least for the Mini, the radio signal is better when the tail of the drone is facing the controller. Flying the drone backward in the return flight until it is close to the home point can help to avoid disconnection.

Reactions: Emanáku
You are a very brave and calm man. Sorry for your loss. Like many, I have watched my baby hurtle into a tree or something, but never the sea. Painful to watch but reinforces my feeling of keeping distance checks within a recoverable environment.

Perhaps when doing a higher risk flight like this a sensible flight plan would help, detailing stuff like wind speed/direction, planned route, timings, point of no return, contingency options if it starts to go wrong, etc...

I was hoping to see a snippet of underwater footage ? - shame the video feed was lost prior to contact with the water... Maybe if you ever recover the drone it could be recovered from the SD card.

I had plenty of time to land on nearby islets. Planning is a and o. Wow, how stupid I was. Now the drone is at a depth of 30 feet. You get all this for free:

Yeah sorry about the loss. Going out with the wind that far and coming back against it, almost always a no no.

Thanks for having the courage to post that. I agree it was agonizing to watch. It was also helpful to me to see how quickly things can go wrong on flight--particularly things you might not anticipate.

No preaching from me - I think you know all to well what you should or should not have done. I do feel for you - and hope you will be back flying soon. It would be horrible to learn a hard lesson and not be able to use that knowledge in the future. Best of luck my friend, sorry for your loss.

Wind direction. Sometimes your friend and sometimes not.
Sorry it didn’t work out.

I had plenty of time to land on nearby islets. Planning is a and o. Wow, how stupid I was. Now the drone is at a depth of 30 feet. You get all this for free:

Sorry, you lost your drone, that was heartbreaking to watch. I do think your drone let you down a bit in that I was surprised that it lost signal where it did. Whenever I fly and get the wind warnings, I panic and get down promptly, sometimes I know the drone could have handled the wind. I was surprised that you did not rise up to a higher elevation when your signal was weak, though I guess it could have made things worse. Anyway I do hope you can get another drone. Good Luck.

To many course corrections ,should have used rth and fly a direct line

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rustjan