DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to focus to infinity at night?

kona

Reactions
Autofocus naturally does not work, but manually focusing also doesn't since the infinity focus point is not where ti says it is. Anybody knows how to focus at night?

After take off find a light source about 60ft away and auto focus on that.

Rob

After take off find a light source about 60ft away and auto focus on that.
and it will never get right focus!
Focusing at night is a huge problem for mavic tiny camera focusing system, in a manual focusing scale - infinity is not even close to real infinity and focusing in AF on a distant light source never gives right focus! For me it is a huge problem, and only trials and errors can give a good result! All my night videos are still unfocused :(

You can press the focus on the app.

Then you see scale, infinity to closeup, just slide the scale to infinity.
Think you had to be in manual focus for this to appear.

Reactions: Thomas B
and it will never get right focus!
Focusing at night is a huge problem for mavic tiny camera focusing system, in a manual focusing scale - infinity is not even close to real infinity and focusing in AF on a distant light source never gives right focus! For me it is a huge problem, and only trials and errors can give a good result! All my night videos are still unfocused :(

Try going straight up to 150 feet or so and point the camera down at something that is well lit. Not at a light. Focus on that (AF) and then switch to MF.

If I recall correctly from a photography class I took many years ago, when a camera has less light it's forced to use a higher aperture (f-stop) to allow in more light. The larger the aperture , the more that will be out of focus. Thinking of this in reverse, I recall it's very difficult to shoot a picture in bright light if you want only the subject to be in focus which I suspect is why everything is in focus for daytime flying, especially on a sunny day. So I guess we're so blessed to have such clear images during the day, that it leads to disappointment when they're not as clear at night.

For my night shots I use Litchi. Other than with the DJI app, Litchis manual focus when set to infinity gives me great results.

The smaller the aperture, the more it's like a pinhole camera. A pinhole camera has no focus as everything is in focus regardless of distance. The depth of field is infinite.
As you open the aperture, the more the focus is dependent on the lenses. Depth of field narrows.

If you want a narrow depth of field in bright light, you need an ND filter.

The smaller the aperture, the more it's like a pinhole camera. A pinhole camera has no focus as everything is in focus regardless of distance. The depth of field is infinite.
As you open the aperture, the more the focus is dependent on the lenses. Depth of field narrows.

If you want a narrow depth of field in bright light, you need an ND filter.
Don’t need ND filter at night.

Obviously not, but just pointing out one of the functions of aperture which is more apparent in bright light.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78