DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to unregister a sold drone

If I were to sell my drone, how would I remove my personal info from the FAA registration affiliated with the serial number?
Did you register for recreational flying?
If so, your never even gave the FAA and details of your drone so there is no serial number associated with the FAA number.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Go to the registration site, log in, select Part 107 dashboard, choose "Manage sUAS Inventory" and then click on the action button for the aircraft in question and choose "Cancel". That will give you a form to fill out with reason for cancellation etc.

screenshot286.jpg

The FAA portion is the least of your worries. DJI keeps the email address on file when the drone was activated associated to that drone for LIFE. You will continue to receive and be the point of contact for everything associated with that drone even after you sell it.

Reactions: Cdcolt
The FAA portion is the least of your worries. DJI keeps the email address on file when the drone was activated associated to that drone for LIFE. You will continue to receive and be the point of contact for everything associated with that drone even after you sell it.

Do you get a lot of emails from DJI about your aircraft?

Do you get a lot of emails from DJI about your aircraft?

I purchased my MPP used and the original owner tried to change everything over to me. DJI will not (they say they cannot) change the original email used to activate it. We've gone back and forth with DJI and he continued to get all the emails. I was lucky and he was nice enough to keep in touch and forward the emails to me. Also, the DJI Go 4 app logs were visible to both of us, he can see mine and I can see his, it's weird and I don't understand why DJI would lock the email that way.

I purchased my MPP used and the original owner tried to change everything over to me. DJI will not (they say they cannot) change the original email used to activate it. We've gone back and forth with DJI and he continued to get all the emails. I was lucky and he was nice enough to keep in touch and forward the emails to me. Also, the DJI Go 4 app logs were visible to both of us, he can see mine and I can see his, it's weird and I don't understand why DJI would lock the email that way.

That doesn't make much sense. The app logs are sent from the app and associated with your DJI account. The aircraft doesn't talk to the servers at all. And what are the emails about? I've never received a single email from DJI regarding any of my aircraft.

Reactions: Kilrah
The DJI Go 4 App still had his login and even after I logged him out and added my new login if I hit the refresh (I think) it would download and merge his and mine. He was able to see mine and I his, I have no idea how or why. As far as the emails he had the refresh and was trying to get them to put it in my name but even after that when it was time to renew it, he got the email not me. DJI locks the email to the drone serial number and they say they cannot change it. The whole thing doesn't make sense to either of us either

The DJI Go 4 App still had his login and even after I logged him out and added my new login if I hit the refresh (I think) it would download and merge his and mine. He was able to see mine and I his, I have no idea how or why. As far as the emails he had the refresh and was trying to get them to put it in my name but even after that when it was time to renew it, he got the email not me. DJI locks the email to the drone serial number and they say they cannot change it. The whole thing doesn't make sense to either of us either

So you were using his mobile device?

DJI is so lame about stuff like that and you would think that a company as large as they are would be more interested in us as people. But money rules!

Reactions: tmiller
DJI is so lame about stuff like that and you would think that a company as large as they are would be more interested in us as people. But money rules!

Except that's not how it actually works in general, and I've no idea how these guys managed to get everything so tangled up.

So you were using his mobile device?
Yes, his phone came with the deal. But, even after I created my own DJI account it will allow us to see each others info. And, he gets any and all emails from DJI even after we attempted to change it to mine.

Except that's not how it actually works in general, and I've no idea how these guys managed to get everything so tangled up.
We didn't get anything tangled up. I purchased his equipment, contacted DJI to transfer all (MPP, refresh, etc.), to me and DJI told us they could not change the email from the one used to activate the drone originally. We even asked; ok what happens when you change internet service providers and your email address changes and DJI told us it cannot be changed, period. I don't understand why they operate like that but, that's been our experience.

As said there are no such mails that are aircraft related. He'll get newsletters but so will you as soon as you've made your own dji account.
The only thing he would get is refresh-related stuff if he bought it for that aircraft.

His flight logs showing is likely just that you didn't delete the app data folder so his stuff is still in there. There should definitely not be any syncing of new records between both. When you buy a used mobile device you should be doing a factory reset and set it up from scratch anyway.

Again the fact the mail can't be changed is annoying but kind of irrelevant since it has no detrimental effect (outside refresh, but it's kinda understandable since it's an insurance policy and that's basically never transferrable).

Last edited:
We didn't get anything tangled up. I purchased his equipment, contacted DJI to transfer all (MPP, refresh, etc.), to me and DJI told us they could not change the email from the one used to activate the drone originally. We even asked; ok what happens when you change internet service providers and your email address changes and DJI told us it cannot be changed, period. I don't understand why they operate like that but, that's been our experience.

Okay - that explains it. You should have deleted the GO 4 app from the device, which would have deleted all his data, and then reinstalled. Then create or log into your own account, and connect to the aircraft. There was no need to involve DJI at all.

Okay - that explains it. You should have deleted the GO 4 app from the device, which would have deleted all his data, and then reinstalled. Then create or log into your own account, and connect to the aircraft. There was no need to involve DJI at all.
If that were the case then how was he able to see my new account info?

As said there are no such mails that are aircraft related. He'll get newsletters but so will you as soon as you've made your own dji account.
The only thing he would get is refresh-related stuff if he bought it for that aircraft.

His flight logs showing is likely just that you didn't delete the app data folder so his stuff is still in there. There should definitely not be any syncing of new records between both. When you buy a used mobile device you should be doing a factory reset and set it up from scratch anyway.

Again the fact the mail can't be changed is annoying but kind of irrelevant since it has no detrimental effect (outside refresh, but it's kinda understandable since it's an insurance policy and that's basically never transferrable).
The emails were about the refresh as well as us seeing each other's accounts. Plus trying to get them to remove his email and add mine.

Reactions: Cdcolt
If that were the case then how was he able to see my new account info?

Good question, that probably requires a bit more information to answer.

To clarify - he had a drone, mobile device and DJI account that he logged into in the GO app, and to which he synced his flight data. You bought the entire system and used the same DJI GO app installation which included data for his previous flights. Presumably you logged him out of the GO app and logged into your own (different) DJI account. Or did you use the same DJI account - you mentioned something about DJI not changing it? And is he still using his old account with a different aircraft?

So the question is - which DJI account are you logging into now, and which DJI account is he logging into? If you ended up using the same account then of course you will both see all data. If you are using different accounts then there should be no way for flights to be syncing to both accounts - you can't be logged into two accounts at once.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pilot74sparki