DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I am going to build a flight tower

droneuser

Reactions
I think this spring I am going to build a 16 feet tall (maybe taller) fight tower that will have a 10 by 10 foot platform on it
smile.gif
this way I will be higher then most trees around me and better line of sight to see the mavic :)

I live on 1.7 acre's of land that is zoned GA ( general agriculture) I am not zoned residential :)

the plan is this :

I will be using used telephone poles with 4 feet deep in the ground

10 by 10 foot platform

Fabric roof ( to block sun but will not cause problems with the signals)

sides will be screen nylon ( so the bugs don't get to me..lol ) NOT metal screening!

internet access will be there via outside router

as for power I have a car jump pack ( for jump starting cars) that has usb and 12 volt plugs and an 120 inverter

may also have a small tv with hdmi, etc inputs with a plastic cover so I can cover it when not in use so it wont get wet

by using wood and fabric and no metal there shouldn't be any problems with signal and it will also help keep the cost down too!

so that's the plan this spring I cant now due to its cold and snow outside
sad.gif

any feed back or ideas please leave a comment :)

Thanks

Awesome idea! Where I live there is a fire tower. It’s on a big hill. A good 60 feet above the ground. You can see Boston on a good day. It’s a 40 min drive to Boston with no traffic. Anyways. My buddy used to work up at the tower spotting fires and calling them in. It’s pretty cool up there. When I bought my MP it was the first thing I thought of. I stood at on the ground and took off from there. It gave me a good extra 100 feet of legal altitude. And good signal for long distance. Hopefully someday I can convince the new guy working up there to let me come up and get some seriously good signal. Any time you have your RC above the trees you are going to have an enormous advantage.

Reactions: jerryflah
Thanks :) yes that is what I am hoping for better range. Any fabric sewing that I need done the wife can do :)

my outside router has 2.4 ghz and 5ghz for wifi :)

Reactions: HVYMTL
Thanks :) yes that is what I am hoping for better range. Any fabric sewing that I need done the wife can do :)

The higher the better. Also. If you plan on flying in multiple directions. You should get it in the middle of the most open area. If you are planning on just going in mostly one direction for the longest flight. Then putting it on one end and flying across the whole open area then out over the trees. This will give the signal a chance to get out. I’ve learned this by flying on a frozen lake. If I stand on one end and fly across the whole lake and then out over the trees I can get much more distance as the signal has a better chance of spreading out. If I stand in the middle of the lake I don’t get as far. But I get a better all around signal in all directions.

An interesting idea, but Murphy's Law suggests that you'll get bored with flying around your own property right about the time you finish building the platform. :D

Lol. True but it will be fun. I have a couple places where I fly more than anywhere. When I want to test out a new filter or test out anything new or just go have fun I go to the same place that I’ve always gone to. Where I get the best signal and range. I don’t go there to get the best pictures but I know it, and have complete confidence flying there with new stuff.

lol on the Murphy's Law but so true!!! and yes I haven't decide where it will go yet but I was thinking that too :)

Reactions: Huge Bama Fan
also my outside rounter has 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz wifi soo if the 2.4 cause problems I will turn that off and use the 5 ghz :)

Interested to see how it turns out, I've thought of doing the same thing on our hunting property!

it should work great! before I build it I will go to the place I am thinking of putting it and do some test fights to make sure no interfence, etc is in that area :)

as for used telephone poles I posted a want ad on craigslist and I guy called me so hopefully we will work out a deal :) ohh yes I will post pics when its done :)

Awesome idea! Where I live there is a fire tower. It’s on a big hill. A good 60 feet above the ground. You can see Boston on a good day. It’s a 40 min drive to Boston with no traffic. Anyways. My buddy used to work up at the tower spotting fires and calling them in. It’s pretty cool up there. When I bought my MP it was the first thing I thought of. I stood at on the ground and took off from there. It gave me a good extra 100 feet of legal altitude. And good signal for long distance. Hopefully someday I can convince the new guy working up there to let me come up and get some seriously good signal. Any time you have your RC above the trees you are going to have an enormous advantage.
North Attleboro WW 1 Memorial Park? Didn't know it was still an actively manned tower! It does have a great field of view, and it almost exactly 5 miles from Mansfield Municipal Airport 1B9.

Anywhere near Plymouth??

I know that there is a Fire Tower a town over. Thought of asking BUT chickened out. I'll wait till spring and venture out there and see what happens. Doesn't hurt to ask.

North Attleboro WW 1 Memorial Park? Didn't know it was still an actively manned tower! It does have a great field of view, and it almost exactly 5 miles from Mansfield Municipal Airport 1B9.

Nope. Robin hill fire tower in Chelmsford.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karchuandiong