DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I Don't want to be "that guy" or a "Kevin" but......

Mr. Noob

Reactions
While researching "places to Fly" around the area I live in (Phoenix AZ) I discovered a couple things.
1) most of the REALLY AWESOME places to fly and get video are, of course, "NO FLY" zones. It really sucks! I'm sure most everyone here experiences the same thing so.....

2) there is a Droneie that has posted NUMEROUS videos from these areas, and it's really obvious that he goes WAY out of VLOS, has video of flying over the interstate, altitude looks suspicious in quite a few as well, and due to his Day Job and having 20K plus followers there are ads in some of his drone videos.

I have no contact info for him, have never had "Eyes on" while he's flying, but there are inappropriate flights being made and it's obvious. Should I be the "Good Will" guy and give him some heads up on his page? or do I just "Sick the Dogs on him" since I have no way to discretely contact him? I don't want the rest of us in AZ (or around the Country as a whole) to suffer with more regulations due to his flagrant violations....

• Sad
Reactions: cacuaca
While researching "places to Fly" around the area I live in (Phoenix AZ) I discovered a couple things.
1) most of the REALLY AWESOME places to fly and get video are, of course, "NO FLY" zones. It really sucks! I'm sure most everyone here experiences the same thing so.....

2) there is a Droneie that has posted NUMEROUS videos from these areas, and it's really obvious that he goes WAY out of VLOS, has video of flying over the interstate, altitude looks suspicious in quite a few as well, and due to his Day Job and having 20K plus followers there are ads in some of his drone videos.

I have no contact info for him, have never had "Eyes on" while he's flying, but there are inappropriate flights being made and it's obvious. Should I be the "Good Will" guy and give him some heads up on his page? or do I just "Sick the Dogs on him" since I have no way to discretely contact him? I don't want the rest of us in AZ (or around the Country as a whole) to suffer with more regulations due to his flagrant violations....

Some people get permission to fly in those areas and receive clearance.

Yeah we do have the discussions about it but it is a waste of time telling anyone what and why.

They are going to do it anyway and then cry when they get caught.

My motto is.... If it requires effort then I'm not going to do it.

Stand back and watch the show.

I have seen a few videos pulled by their owners when it was pointed out to the owner that they were posting videos of flights that were 'inadvisable', I guess those people were either unaware of the regulations and or that they were presenting evidence against themselves.
Other posters responded with....well you can guess.
I would be inclined to mention it, it could be that they are unaware.
Then again maybe they wish to be the next $182,000 fineee, which might be a point worth mentioning.

I was always told nobody likes a tattle tale... Mention it to him but don't "sic the dogs on him"
Well, it's all relative. There are times when I would like a tattle tale. For instance:
* child sexual abuse
* toxic chemicals being dumped in a waterway
* a drone being flown in a way that is dangerous to manned aircraft.
The point is, I think, that we have a duty to "tattle" when its really serious. Sounds like this guy may be edging into that category.
It's also possible that he/she just doesn't know the rules and/or hasn't stopped to consider the consequences of breaking them. If friendly advice would work, that's better all around. If not, there's always the dogs...

Before you guys string up this cat I would like to see the channel.
We have lots of members from that area .
@Mr. Noob please post the channel you are making these claims
on so we can see just what he is doing.

I think I'd approach it as you really are interested in how many people/spotters they used and inquire into how difficult was it to get permission to make the stunning videos. This gives them the chance to "show" while also showing you are aware of regulations.
You can have as many VO's as you want. You STILL cannot fly BVLOS of the PIC. Simple. So all those "look how far my drone can go" videos are 100% violating FAA regulations. Do they care? The FAA will if it falls out of the sky and hits someone 3 miles from you. LOL.

Before you guys string up this cat I would like to see the channel.
We have lots of members from that area .
@Mr. Noob please post the channel you are making these claims
on so we can see just what he is doing.
Yes..that and info on where he's flying that you said is no-fly.

I was always told nobody likes a tattle tale... Mention it to him but don't "sic the dogs on him"
We are supposed to be good citizens first, and that, to me, means that we follow the rules that were collectively drafted for the good of all. It is best if we confront people that violate those rules, but sometimes you run into violence that way. If the pilot has permission to fly in this way then bringing the incidents to the attention of the FAA will have no ill effect on them. I see this kind of flying all the time, and I can assure you that the pilots don’t care about the rules or about the rest of us.

We are supposed to be good citizens first, and that, to me, means that we follow the rules that were collectively drafted for the good of all. It is best if we confront people that violate those rules, but sometimes you run into violence that way. If the pilot has permission to fly in this way then bringing the incidents to the attention of the FAA will have no ill effect on them. I see this kind of flying all the time, and I can assure you that the pilots don’t care about the rules or about the rest of us.
So then do you go tattle on them?

• Haha
Reactions: Aloha-Dave
Drone Vlogger fined $182,000 by FAA

Well if you can tolerate eccentric "Mikey" of Philly Drone Life, (he's a good guy really if you take the time to listen to his life story and how Drones possibly saved his life, he has an interesting tale to tell about FAA rules and Fines. It's believed the FAA was tipped off to his videos that show some non-FAA regulation flights..... and no, I was not the "informant" ?. But this should be a good reminder to some sUAS pilots that like to bend the rules a bit.

Philly Drone Life explanation

Or this from Pilot Institute

Or this Podcast by Originaldobo and Billy Kyle

Reactions: Aloha-Dave
Personally, I would give them a 'thumbs down' and point out his/her infractions in a post or comment. I am certain he/she knows what they are doing is wrong, but perhaps some of their followers do not. If more of us point it out, give them thumbs down, then they may get the message. As a minimum it could reduce the number of infractions drone hobbyists do, and in the long term, reduce the number of rules that get created that ultimately limit our ability to enjoy the hobby.

Well, it's all relative. There are times when I would like a tattle tale. For instance:
* child sexual abuse
* toxic chemicals being dumped in a waterway
* a drone being flown in a way that is dangerous to manned aircraft.
The point is, I think, that we have a duty to "tattle" when its really serious. Sounds like this guy may be edging into that category.
It's also possible that he/she just doesn't know the rules and/or hasn't stopped to consider the consequences of breaking them. If friendly advice would work, that's better all around. If not, there's always the dogs...

I love your Reply, and yano I agree! Except the tattle tale part, lmao. For some reason it doesn't set well in any form or manner, when that happens, lol my opinion.

I would call it, making a note, after you had mentioned it to him and if he continues, & doesn't wake up with your FREE warning, lol or your message to Fly with in the RULES OF FAA doesn't help? If you must? Well I leave that up to you, but remember this.

Your embedding yourself / Meaning any work you post up will be looked at, & if not following RULES too, kind of becomes an easy target for the FAA. It discourages you from even flying on after and makes you feel you should sell your Drone. lol

FAA, they are very fair and will always give a stern warning 1st, especially with those who have actually gotten the warning heads-up ;) already lol if that individual gets caught again, they get another warning but instead of a call they will reach out in person (awkward knock on door) lol and then the 3rd time, they go in for an arrest :( depends on Flight too.

for example: TFR's isn't NO JOKE! I use this because TFR's are basically WARNINGS RED FLAG are issued and should always be checked upon before flight.
Federal Aviation Administration - Graphic TFR's (faa.gov)

Check this out, after an initial (WEEK) warning, before the Super bowl, Recreational or pt.107 Commercial License. doesn't matter. if a TFR warning has been issued: STAY AWAY FROM THAT SPICIFIC TFR, Well take a read. If you haven't seen by now. He should have known better. The Pilot I say.

Hope this helps, Aloha to all.....

I totally understand on and I "quote" "
* child sexual abuse
* toxic chemicals being dumped in a waterway"
But that's as far as I will take it. Thanks for sharing my Forum/friend :)

Fly Safe!
tattletale.JPG

Always use:
B4UFLY Mobile App (faa.gov)
LAANC | Kittyhawk
FAADroneZone

( Mod Removed Comment )

1. If you weren't "there" and familiar with the conditions a flight took place under, then in most situations it's unlikely you have the information necessary to really understand if the flying was violating any regulations or not. People get exemptions, people get permits, people might be flying much more safely than you can tell from the drone footage. Yes, there are some circumstances where it's probably pretty obvious that things are not right, especially if people are flying in an area where you are familiar with the local laws and regulations. If you see Joe Blow's Mavic Mini footage of the Whitehouse, you don't have to wonder whether that was legal or not. But in most circumstances, you just aren't going to know from the YouTube video.

2. Policing and inquiring about Youtube videos is something that is handled by the FAA. They don't need your help. Really. This kind of thing is so annoying to most fliers that they don't want to join communities online and share their flights because even when you follow the rules someone will try to ruin your day. If you enjoy this hobby and want to keep doing it, don't make it your goal to find people you think are naughty and "throw the book at them" (as if you were the judge in control of the book, lol). Most of the drone communities I take part in will straight up ban you for attempting to police fellow drone fliers. This community is not like that and that is fine, but please understand that a great number of people will not find your attempts to police fellow drone fliers as a noble act of good citizenry, but rather a churlish and piffling meddling into the lives of other people for no particular reason. Don't get me wrong, this is not something unique to the drone community -- any community of enthusiasts has stuff like this happen. It's just that in particular hobby, any kind of tattling report, even a dumb and groundless one, ends up with someone having to interact with federal law enforcement, and also for someone from a federal agency to have to waste his or her time chasing down something stupid.

Again, this is not to say that if you see something truly incredibly blatantly dangerous and illegal you should turn a blind eye. But trying to figure out if someone really has VLOS or complaining that they flew over an interstate (which is legal, BTW, if you don't fly over it when cars are driving under you), and contemplating trying to get federal law enforcement to come after the person.... it doesn't sit well with me, personally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Drone Vlogger fined $182,000 by FAA

Well if you can tolerate eccentric "Mikey" of Philly Drone Life, (he's a good guy really if you take the time to listen to his life story and how Drones possibly saved his life, he has an interesting tale to tell about FAA rules and Fines. It's believed the FAA was tipped off to his videos that show some non-FAA regulation flights..... and no, I was not the "informant" ?. But this should be a good reminder to some sUAS pilots that like to bend the rules a bit.

Philly Drone Life explanation

Or this from Pilot Institute

Or this Podcast by Originaldobo and Billy Kyle
Thanks for Sharing the video's, Aloha

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos