DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I want to upgrade the standard SD card to 64 gigs

audioguy

Reactions
I looked at some recommendations on this forum on which new SD card to purchase, and based upon my "research", bought one from Amazon.

Note: I had not removed the existing card to look at it prior to ordering a new one. When the new card showed up, it was way too large (the kind that fits in my SLR) to fit in the Mavic.

So what is the correct nomenclature to use to get the right sized card.

Sandisk 64gb ultra hc 1 microsd works perfectly to record all video formats within the Mavic Pro.

I use a U3 128gb micro sd remember it needs to be for 4k footage so thats why i use U3

Get multiple 32gig or 16gig cards. Tape a few to your controller and leave a few in the bag.
Multiple 16 gig or 32 gig cards are dirt cheap compared to 1 x 128 gig card (overkill me thinks).
Reason i suggest this is that many people put all their eggs in 1 basket. Some are lazy and fill the card up before backing up to a PC. Then one day the mavic decides to not come home..
Another reason for multiple cards is so that if you accidentally leave you card at home, you will at least have a spare or 2.

If you see two cards with the same or similar prices, it wouldn't hurt to go with the one bearing the higher sequential write speed. if you do videos or lots of DNGs in quick succession. Theoretically, the Mavic can do up to 60MB/s if I understood what I read about it, but 30 or 40 MB/s is likely to be at least as fast as you'll ever need.

Most cards meet the U3, Class 10 speed- Class 10 means "can do at least 10MB/s." That's basically every card that doesn't use a pen and paper to write its data, nowadays. So I should think that as long as you don't just buy the cheapest possible card, you'll be more than happy. Cheap-o cards probably work too, but may be slower, and hey- you didn't cheap out on the drone, so what's $20-$30 for a high-end microSD, right?

64GB works quite well, and for my use (almost never shoot video, 1080p 30fps when I do, and up to 30 DNG pictures per flight) the 64GB is taking me over a month to fill up.

When I bought a new SD card, I ended up reading this to find what had speeds that were enough to never slow the Mavic down without buying something more expensive than I could use: Fastest MicroSD Card Speed Tests - 2017 | Have Camera Will Travel

Reactions: Bunny Too
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xyggi