DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I was all ready to call the control tower, but they said don't bother...

Apocalypso

Reactions
So this was refreshing, since I was dreading the potential hassle of notifying the control tower I was just inside the 5 mile radius.

This is on Hilton Head Island and I thought to check their website first. Glad I did, check this out:

UAS operators must not contact Air Traffic Control facilities or Airport Administration for airspace authorizations. Please visit FAA website, www.faa.gov/uas, to review rules and guidelines on flying UAS strictly for fun. Click on FAA "Fly for Fun" for safety rules and guidelines that apply to recreational UAS operations.
Attention Drone Operators

So, ok, I'll just adhere to the Fly for Fun rules and be safe.... thank you very much!

Anyone see any holes in this?

Reactions: austindave
Local rule.

Looks like they were getting so many calls they decided to tell operators to *-*** .

So this was refreshing, since I was dreading the potential hassle of notifying the control tower I was just inside the 5 mile radius.

This is on Hilton Head Island and I thought to check their website first. Glad I did, check this out:

UAS operators must not contact Air Traffic Control facilities or Airport Administration for airspace authorizations. Please visit FAA website, www.faa.gov/uas, to review rules and guidelines on flying UAS strictly for fun. Click on FAA "Fly for Fun" for safety rules and guidelines that apply to recreational UAS operations.

So, ok, I'll just adhere to the Fly for Fun rules and be safe.... thank you very much!

Nope. Their prerogative. I just left a message on their contact form asking them to establish safe areas for drones up to 300'. As an example I gave from the Point to Bradley Street along the beach. Doubt it will stir them.

Reactions: Apocalypso
Only the holes in the airplane or helicopter should you hit one. Fly safe and responsible.

Only the holes in the airplane or helicopter should you hit one. Fly safe and responsible.

Of course! I've got a registered MP and am aware of all the FAA rules and guidelines for non-professional UAS pilots. Just found it interesting (and a bit refreshing) the airport (and one with a control tower) would say "don't call us", just follow the rules.

Indeed. Your first post exhibits responsible behavior. My response was more for others on here who may not take the necessary steps to fly responsibly with this new information. Cheers!

Reactions: grizzard
Local rule.

Looks like they were getting so many calls they decided to tell operators to *-*** .

Nope. Their prerogative. I just left a message on their contact form asking them to establish safe areas for drones up to 300'. As an example I gave from the Point to Bradley Street along the beach. Doubt it will stir them.

Cool. I'm debating a flight around the lighthouse.

Contrary to what some little pissant airport might post on their website
UAS operators must, MUST, contact Air Traffic Control facilities or Airport Administration.
From the website they reference, Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need permission from the FAA to fly a UAS for recreation or as a hobby?
There are two ways for recreational or hobby UAS fliers to operate in the National Airspace System in accordance with the law and/or FAA regulations. Each of the two options has specific requirements that the UAS operator must follow. The decision as to which option to follow is up to the individual operator.

Option #1. Fly in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Public Law 112-95 Section 336). Under this rule, operators must:

• Fly for hobby or recreational purposes only
  • Follow a community-based set of safety guidelines
  • Fly the UAS within visual line-of-sight
  • Give way to manned aircraft
  • Provide prior notification to the airport and air traffic control tower, if one is present, when flying within 5 miles of an airport

Contrary to what some little pissant airport might post on their website
UAS operators must, MUST, contact Air Traffic Control facilities or Airport Administration.
From the website they reference, Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need permission from the FAA to fly a UAS for recreation or as a hobby?
There are two ways for recreational or hobby UAS fliers to operate in the National Airspace System in accordance with the law and/or FAA regulations. Each of the two options has specific requirements that the UAS operator must follow. The decision as to which option to follow is up to the individual operator.

Option #1. Fly in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Public Law 112-95 Section 336). Under this rule, operators must:

• Fly for hobby or recreational purposes only
  • Follow a community-based set of safety guidelines
  • Fly the UAS within visual line-of-sight
  • Give way to manned aircraft
  • Provide prior notification to the airport and air traffic control tower, if one is present, when flying within 5 miles of an airport

Things change ... see my post of a minute ago. This is why HH don't want calls at present.

So many belligerent straw man arguments tossed out on this forum, like little bombs. Yeah, I'm not biting, just calling it out.

Only an idiot would think I was generalizing that no one had to call any airport. Just sharing my situation right now. Back to meaningful dialog.....

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
So many belligerent straw man arguments tossed out on this forum, like little bombs. Yeah, I'm not biting, just calling it out.

Only an idiot would think I was generalizing that no one had to call any airport. Just sharing my situation right now. Back to meaningful dialog.....

Ad hominem to you too.

I got a reply from Hilton Head - it's because of this: FAA Will Release Maps to Speed up Drone Authorization Applications

That refers to Part 107, which is covered under Option #2 at Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions. This still leaves Option # 1.

Things may be clarified in this changing landscape.

As a side note one of these is more accurate than the other:
UAS Operators must not contact Air Traffic Control.
It is unnecessary for UAS Operators to contact Air Traffic Control at Hilton Head Airport.

That refers to Part 107, which is covered under Option #2 at Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions. This still leaves Option # 1.

Things may be clarified in this changing landscape.

Exactly how I read the two separate web pages from the HHH airport. The page I originally cited really seems to apply to non-Part 107, "Fly for Fun" UAS pilots. Option 1 applies.

The "FAA Will Release Maps..." seems to relate to Part 107 operators. Either they're being cautious to not overstep their authority to deny or they're being a bit careless in their clarity. Surely a sign we're all figuring this out to a degree. It is a changing landscape.

It's generally believed the government has vast, if not infinite resources, but that's not always the case. A tower that size would have a staff of about 7 controllers and a manager. There may be a temporary shortage due to any number of reasons, and lower priority tasks are being sidelined to complete the core mission. This is not something that would be revealed to a UAS caller, and frankly there's no reason to bunch panties over it; just wait until Apr 27. Hey, that's tomorrow!

Reactions: Apocalypso
What I sent (green) and her reply (blue)

Subject: RE: New Comment or Question
Date: 2017-04-26 at 09:23:04 GMT-4
To: AlanTheBeast

FAA issued a new policy, please visit FAA website: www.faa.gov/uas

Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 9:00 AM
To: Ford, Renee <[email protected]>
Subject: New Comment or Question
name: Alan
email:AlanTheBeast
phone:
question: Drone ops. If you're not allowing UAV operators to phone to get inside the zone clearances, you could at least publish a map of the zone and areas within the zone where UAV ops would be approved to a minimum height w/o contacting the tower. For example, along the beach from "The Point" to "Bradley Beach Road" to an altitude of 300' would be reasonable for both drone operators, aircraft operators and the tower personnel and not put anyone in danger. Most class D/C airspace in the US are very cooperative with attentive, serious and safe drone operators. Regards, Alan

I got a reply from Hilton Head - it's because of this: FAA Will Release Maps to Speed up Drone Authorization Applications

Well, the "maps" are released. Looks like they mapped out *some* small and medium sized airports. They say they'll continue to update, but ironically HHH airport is not mapped out yet.

Do note this does not substitute for Part 107 requests, it's just a tool that will indicate the altitude guidelines the airport might normally use in their response to you.

ArcGIS Web Application

Well, the "maps" are released. Looks like they mapped out *some* small and medium sized airports. They say they'll continue to update, but ironically HHH airport is not mapped out yet.

Do note this does not substitute for Part 107 requests, it's just a tool that will indicate the altitude guidelines the airport might normally use in their response to you.

ArcGIS Web Application

I suggest, that given that, that you go ahead and phone the tower. Be ready to explain the above... make sure your area is well off their approach.

Reactions: avanti1963

Anyone see any holes in this?[/QUOTEi would like to know does this apply just to your area in Hilton head

Sorry doing this reply sitting in my car on the phone , does this apply just to Hilton head or everywhere??

Any time you want to operate in a CZ you need permission from the tower. This recent FAA process has muddied the water with HH not wanting to do it at all (they say) but they are not included in the new process that I can tell.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31