DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I was arrested for flying a drone *updated with video*

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you don't have an Apple Watch but have an iPhone, you can use Siri Shortcuts to set up a voice command to automatically record. The Siri shortcuts feature can even cause the phone's display to go completely dim so the person you are recording won't see anything happening on the phone. You can decide which voice command you would like to use.

See this article:

Siri Shortcut lets you secretly record interactions with police

Mark

Reactions: Lapeer20m
As an Australian this whole thread amazes me. Here we have only one police force, the state police, and they are certainly not in the business of policing and arresting people for infringing local council bylaws. Maybe a ranger could demand your details and you would get an infringement note in the mail, which you could choose to contest. Carry a weapon Arrest, handcuff lockup. No way.

Reactions: STUFF2C and Pietros
Kinda makes sense why the United States is in first place for incarceration rates in the world with 655 per 100,000 (2.1M in jail) - see row 213.
List of countries by incarceration rate - Wikipedia

Reminds me of what we were "trained" to say in the military when asked if discipline in punishment?

"Sir, No Sir! Discipline is the art of order and obedience resulting from training!"

So there you go, be clear - be VERY CLEAR what's going on when law enforcement are "training" civilians...

Reactions: Brojon
You were detained and cited... not arrested.

If being slapped in handcuffs and stuffed into the back of a patrol car is not the same as being arrested then I must have missed something bleedingly obvious. The humiliation felt by the O.P. would have been the same (or worse) as if he had been technically arrested - even Blind Freddy can see that.

Furthermore, all of the rubbish I have read on this thread about how the Bully cop may have had a hard day and should be excused for acting the way he did, or that the O.P. should have bent over backwards to be extra polite and subservient. Seriously ???? !!!!

If being slapped in handcuffs and stuffed into the back of a patrol car is not the same as being arrested then I must have missed something bleedingly obvious. The humiliation felt by the O.P. would have been the same (or worse) as if he had been technically arrested - even Blind Freddy can see that.

Furthermore, all of the rubbish I have read on this thread about how the Bully cop may have had a hard day and should be excused for acting the way he did, or that the O.P. should have bent over backwards to be extra polite and subservient. Seriously ???? !!!!

I agree with you that it is BS, however there is a pretty huge difference between being “detained” and being “arrested.”

This whole thing seems over the top.

David, so in America you can be detained without being arrested?.
I'm very surprised at this, I know little about the law but that strikes me as very Draconian.

I suppose if you think about it, Freedoms Granted by the State aren't really Freedoms anyway it's all a bit of an illusion.

I mainly take the wiseman route whilst encountering LEO & allow them to feel in complete control of the situation.

No need to escalate the situation. It’s only going to lead to someone being handcuffed/arrested.
I prefer to maintain control of those situation by mind far-king them ;)

Yes Sir, No Sir & I’m leaving right now!

Real life for some of you guys...
Think of the Po-leese as a moderator, you’re not allowed to talk back in public.
Handle the situation behind the scene in a calm mannerThumbswayup

OK, so when it doesn't go down that way, one (probably the best) course of action might be to do what needs to be done to punish the Bully cop by legally submitting whatever needs to be submitted to achieve same. If the most that can be achieved is that the Bully cop is sanctioned, with no other punishment, then so be it. I say that it would be totally worth it.

Of course, all of that can be handled behind the scenes in a calm manner after the fact regardless of whether or not the O.P. could be accused of being a smart arse which, in this instance, was clearly not the case. Listen to the recording!

And BTW, where did you get the thing about "you’re not allowed to talk back in public"? Russia, Communist China ??

Hey! I was a park ranger for Army Corps and the NPS and take offense to that! Those squirrels bite when kids feed them cheetos and they drop pine cones on people’s heads which can be quite dangerous, especially if its a coulter pine cone! Have you ever seen one of those? That guy was probably a mall cop once and now has a pound of badges and an ounce of brains. There’s no way I would have worked in the field with a guy like that. He had no idea how to handle a public contact/ enforcement situation and manage himself to keep a situation from escalating. Dangerous as all heck, and not worth dealing with at all.

Mind yøu, møøse bites can be pretty nasti...

OP, If I may ask, what app did you use on your Watch to record the audio?

It’s called “just press record”

You can turn it on from the home screen with a single press of a button. It runs in the background, and it stores data on the watch, on the phone, and automaticslsly syncs to the cloud.

"you’re not allowed to talk back in public"? Russia, Communist China ??
LEO agent gives an order for a citizen to comply it’s not up for debate no matter the origin.

@crystal-pete you definitely can’t run your mouth to police in Australia without being hemmed up shortly

I mainly take the wiseman route whilst encountering LEO & allow them to feel in complete control of the situation.

No need to escalate the situation. It’s only going to lead to someone being handcuffed/arrested.
I prefer to maintain control of those situation by mind far-king them ;)

Yes Sir, No Sir & I’m leaving right now!

I generally take the same approach as well and it has served me well. The difference is that generally if there is an interaction with police it is because I have broken some law, ie: speeding.

In this incident, the officer was violating the law as this local ordinance doesn’t apply to drones; and even if it did, he is prohibited (shall not) from enforcing any local drone ordinance.

It is absolutely appropriate to object when an officer is engaged in unlawful activity that negatively impacts you.

It’s one thing if an officer is confused or makes a brash decision without checking what the law actually says. It’s quite another when the officer knows what the law says and still chooses to act inappropriately.

Officers can not enforce laws that don’t exist. They especially cannot enforce their will on a subject when the state explicitly forbids them, in this case, from “...enforcing any rules regarding the possession or operation of unmanned aircraft. “

OK guys how much more of repeating this over and over are you going to do .
The horse is staggering
and it is about to fall down .

It’s one thing if an officer is confused or makes a brash decision without checking what the law actually says. It’s quite another when the officer knows what the law says and still chooses to act inappropriately.

Officers can not enforce laws that don’t exist. They especially cannot enforce their will on a subject when the state explicitly forbids them, in this case, from “...enforcing any rules regarding the possession or operation of unmanned aircraft. “
Use extreme caution when dealing with them during any encounters

It is absolutely appropriate to object when an officer is engaged in unlawful activity that negatively impacts you.
I respect your handle

I generally take the same approach as well and it has served me well. The difference is that generally if there is an interaction with police it is because I have broken some law, ie: speeding.
The law is what the officer says is the law.
I don’t agree but that’s how I deal with idiots in public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13