DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ice forming on a drone.

Welcome to the forum!

I would imagine the name of the game is survival of one’s drone. As a young kid who saw the aftermath of the Eastern Airlines airliner crash into the Potomac River, I know that ice is bad on wings. As an old guy flying my drone, icing can’t be good for all the money we toss at this hobby.

Mavics won’t fair well after an ethylene glycol de-icing shower. Land that plane, Maverick! :cool:
Yup ! ice can also block Pitot tubes (sensors) on the AF447 flight and sink it in the Atlantic within less than 5 minutes.

Prepping for my Basic. and stuck on this one question on my online course

What must an RPAS pilot do if they suspect that their aircraft has ice forming on it?

• The pilot may begin the flight as long as the frost has not adhered to any part of the propellor or engine itself.
  • The pilot must complete the mission as soon as they notice the ice formation on the aircraft.

thanks
Land immediately. Bad question answer.
TC Regulation
Icing

901.35 (1) No pilot shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft system when icing conditions are observed, are reported to exist or are likely to be encountered along the route of flight unless the aircraft is equipped with de-icing or anti-icing equipment and equipment designed to detect icing.
(2) No pilot shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft system with frost, ice or snow adhering to any part of the remotely piloted aircraft.
TC AIM
2.12.2 Aircraft Contamination on the Ground – Frost, Ice or Snow
(a) General Information: Where frost, ice or snow may reasonably be expected to adhere to the aircraft, the Canadian Aviation Regulations require that an inspection or inspections be made before takeoff or attempted takeoff. The type and minimum number of inspections is indicated by the regulations, and depends on whether or not the operator has an approved Operator’s Ground Icing Operations Program using the Ground Icing Operations Standard as specified in CAR 622.11 – Operating and Flight Rules Standards.

(Advanced search and all your documentation in one folder are your friends).

Last edited:
Reactions: Rich QR and Steel63

What must an RPAS pilot do if they suspect that their aircraft has ice forming on it?

• The pilot may begin the flight as long as the frost has not adhered to any part of the propellor or engine itself.
  • The pilot must complete the mission as soon as they notice the ice formation on the aircraft.

• the only one that makes sense is this one the pilot MAY begin...leaving it to the discretion to the pilot if ice is gone. However if its cold enough to form ice then aloft would be colder sooooo I would not fly unless I had de-icing boots... The pilot may begin the flight as long as the frost has not adhered to any part of the propeller or engine itself.

Reactions: Thomas B

thanks
Being a retired air traffic controller I know ice buildup on any aircraft can have disastrous results. It doesn't take much to change the aerodynamics of an airfoil. I've had an aircraft crash that I was controlling while on approach due to ice buildup. I would always err on the side of safety and land as soon as possible.

Reactions: anotherlab
Three things puzzle me about the "The pilot may............." 'option'
1) why does it refer to "frost" rather than "ice", when considering aircraft and flight do they differ?
2) why "adhered to", does it being stuck to the aircraft indicate something different than if the frost were 'loose'
3) why does it mention only the "propellor" and "engine" and not mention the drone body and or, if applicable, the wing/s?

Welcome to the forum from Chicago the Windy City.
I would say abort abort as well. Also check out the search function, type in ice on props, see what you get.

thanks

WELCOME TO THE FORUM - CHEERS FROM LANCASHIRE UK ! ?

My thoughts on your question -- I personally would spray WD-40 all over my drone and take my chances !! LOL
Seriously - any chance of ice = no flying today.

Reactions: Thomas B and slup
Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching
and stay safe.. Thumbswayup

My thoughts on your question -- I personally would spray WD-40 all over my drone and take my chances !! LOL
Not sure if that is a joke or serious but,if you are serious, I would be wary of that. Whilst I LOVE WD4O I would have some concerns about whether it could act as a dust trap, how it might react with some of the materials in the drone and it's effect on bearing lubricants.

Not sure if that is a joke or serious but,if you are serious, I would be wary of that. Whilst I LOVE WD4O I would have some concerns about whether it could act as a dust trap, how it might react with some of the materials in the drone and it's effect on bearing lubricants.
LOL - Of course its a joke --- My whole answer read as follows --

Hence the word "Seriously"

Seriously - any chance of ice = no flying today.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sikiruikhun