DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

If I Xmas shop now it costs me a chunk of warranty???

rangemaster728

Reactions
I have a Mavic Pro...and like it so much I want to buy one for my (30-year old) son as a Christmas gift.

Here's the problem - I can buy one now - BEFORE the Xmas shopping frenzy and have it on hand for Christmas morning, EXCEPT DJI Customer Service (via online chat) indicated the warranty starts when I RECEIVE IT, not when it is activated.

This is not satisfactory... it would be wrapped and awaiting Xmas morning, but according to Customer Service he’ll lose 6 weeks of warranty coverage???

I’m not one to stand in line a week before Christmas, fight the crowds (or find out they are sold out online) when I have my choice of DJI authorized distributors right now, today...with stock on the shelves.

Anyone else experience this...or does DJI even check to see when you bought your Mavic as long as it has not been previously activated?

Fly safe!

Last edited:
That's how warranties work. Date of being received by the consumer. Not date first used. I cannot think of any electronics that don't start warranty from the date of being received by the consumer.

There is a chance DJI won't ask for receipt and would instead go by date activated, but it's a risk you have to take.

I just dug out the (ok, electronic) paperwork for my Mavic...I activated it 3 weeks after it arrived, as I was away on business. I also bought Care Refresh when I activated it...and the clock started on the activation day for both the standard warranty and Refresh...besides, you can’t fire the motors up & fly it until it’s activated [emoji848] No different than being on a distributors’ shelf.

Likely OK to do my Xmas shopping now...

I don't know how long you've owned your Mavic but I'd bet you know it well and the quality it brings by now or you wouldn't be buying one for your son! 6 weeks is not a lot of time considering that if you do ever use the warranty, it will most likely be in the first 6 months. I would think all the kinks would be worked out by then and your son would have enough experience to at least know what he's doing. I bought a care refresh with mine and to tell you the truth it was a waste of money (though hind site is 20/20). Hope you solve the problem but it makes sense that it would be from the date of purchase.

6 weeks isn't a lot of time to lose, but if you're concerned just buy it later. You can buy one on Amazon a few days before Christmas and have it in time while still avoiding the crazy stores.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edgley