DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

If price wasn't the issue- MA2 or M2Z or M2P?

If today you were granted a gift certificate for a drone and you could choose between the Mavic Air 2, the Mavice 2 Zoom or Mavic 2 Pro, which would you choose... but more importantly, why? [please be as specific as possible]

Why the question posed this way? Having gotten my feet wet with the Mavic Mini, I anticipate that in the next 12 months I would be wanting to move up to the next level (or two) of drone. I love my Mini, but because of it's light weight due to wind conditions I find myself not flying on days that any of the above drones would have no issues in. Or, on days when I can fly when I get up to or just over 150 feet I get strong wind warnings that limit what I can do. Obviously having 4k resolution wouldn't hurt things one bit.

I suspect that in the next few months DJI will come out with the Mavic 3 and there might be some discounting of the Mavic 2's. I dunno, just speculating. Some folks say that the image from the Mavic Air 2 is as good or better than the M2's without a lot of post production work. I have no idea. Perhaps someone here can provide some insight. TIA
I own the M2p and the ma2 - Both have their merits and I can and do use both - If I was you I would consider the Mavic Air 2 - As this is a victim of the times (Covid 19) hence the low price relative to what you get and it is certainly good enough to do Pro work too And 1/2 the price of the Mavic 2 pro - The Mavic 2 pro is great but the Mavic air 2 is better value for me

forgot to mention I did buy the US version (Ma2) with Airsense

good luck if you intend to invest in a new Drone

its not only price, its what you want out of a particular drone ,
there is no point paying for loads of features that you dont intend on using
if you strip of all the avoidance sensors and simplify the camera controls
then all the DJI drones basically fly using the same method and control systems
then the next things to consider are the camera ,how much control can be made to fine tune the finished picture how good is the image etc
then finally how much automated flight control do you require and need
Old Man, Why is our Platinum not in this arena? Is it too old or just not a lot of folks bought one like you and I did? I like the zoom capability it has over the Air2 among other things.

Reactions: old man mavic
Go for the M2P (I have the M2Z). This is a rock solid machine and the best that DJI has to offer at the moment.

Reactions: Jet skier
but as a professional photographer was intrigued by the photographic/video aspect of it.
I am delighted with the MA2 but if I was a pro photographer I would go for M2P or wait for M3P.
I think a pro would want all of the control they would offer and wouldn't be happy with working with a fixed aperture.

Old Man, Why is our Platinum not in this arena? Is it too old or just not a lot of folks bought one like you and I did? I like the zoom capability it has over the Air2 among other things.
well for me the MPP is, and always will be for me, the best drone in the mavic family,and i know that there will be many, many ,out there that will disagree
the M2P family was an attempt to try and improve on the original mavic 1and MPP but i think that the extra weight that it has to carry ,for all the extra features meant that it needed a 4 cell battery to give it enough power and flight time ,which has resulted in all the issues of battery swelling, and batteries ejecting from the drone that have plagued the M2P and zoom
i agree that the camera of the M2P may have better specs ,for the professional very discerning photographer ,but for the average consumer like me,then the difference is not really an issue
also unless you need all the enhanced flight modes on offer ,then the MPP has plenty to amuse those who like to use them,if just manually flying your drone is what floats your boat then go for the MPP ,if you prefer the photography side of things and the auto flight modes go for the M2P

All nice drones I'm sure but would you buy at this time to finish up with a legacy drone and its restricted operating when the new rues come out?

If today you were granted a gift certificate for a drone and you could choose between the Mavic Air 2, the Mavice 2 Zoom or Mavic 2 Pro, which would you choose... but more importantly, why? [please be as specific as possible]

Why the question posed this way? Having gotten my feet wet with the Mavic Mini, I anticipate that in the next 12 months I would be wanting to move up to the next level (or two) of drone. I love my Mini, but because of it's light weight due to wind conditions I find myself not flying on days that any of the above drones would have no issues in. Or, on days when I can fly when I get up to or just over 150 feet I get strong wind warnings that limit what I can do. Obviously having 4k resolution wouldn't hurt things one bit.

I suspect that in the next few months DJI will come out with the Mavic 3 and there might be some discounting of the Mavic 2's. I dunno, just speculating. Some folks say that the image from the Mavic Air 2 is as good or better than the M2's without a lot of post production work. I have no idea. Perhaps someone here can provide some insight. TIA
I fly the Mavic Air and have had a great experience with it. I am looking at the Mavic 2 Pro but wondering which is the "quietest" of all?
Photos are great and so are video's, but right from the camera has served my purpose. My air is noisy and it is a problem for me when flying
in the neighborhood or around wildlife.

The MP2 was and still would be my choice. If you never use all the bells and whistles that come with the MP2 that's fine and dandy but on the off chance that you have a situation where you would need that feature you have it to fall back on. If you do not have those features available in your drone well then......

I have the M2P and Air 2, and I do a bit of Real Estate work part time. The M2P is my go to copter for commercial work. It's images, if saved in RAW and with proper camera settings, are far superior to the Air 2. But don't get me wrong. The Air 2 is very capable of taking some excellent shots, but the lighting has to be just right, like right at the beginning of Golden Hour. It does not do well in low light. The M2P is just a much more refined system, and if you do professional work, it's the only way to go.

Good to know about low light. I tend to shoot at golden hour anyway. But I'm far too new at this to know how this will develop. Right now in the hobby stage until I get my Part 107 and then who knows? It's been my history to let destiny take me for a ride without a lot of long term planning, but just following the path.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought recently the zoom with the smart controller after having the mini for a short time.
My reasons are the following and hope this helps into taking your decision as I too am just starting to get into drones a bit more.

- bigger than mini and ma2 which makes it even more stable.
- full avoidance sensors. (want piece of mind just because)
-prefer the zoom function as I don't need to get that much closer if I need something to capture specifically.
- Biggest reason: Smart controller. Hated having to attach my phone all the time. Too much time wasted.

And for the camera thing, it does more than I am capable of ever doing with it at least for now and the foreseeable future. By the time I learn all the tricks of editing, mavic 4 series will be out.

Forgive my ignorance, but what does the smart controller do that the standard controller doesn't?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well for me the MPP is, and always will be for me, the best drone in the mavic family,and i know that there will be many, many ,out there that will disagree
the M2P family was an attempt to try and improve on the original mavic 1and MPP but i think that the extra weight that it has to carry ,for all the extra features meant that it needed a 4 cell battery to give it enough power and flight time ,which has resulted in all the issues of battery swelling, and batteries ejecting from the drone that have plagued the M2P and zoom
i agree that the camera of the M2P may have better specs ,for the professional very discerning photographer ,but for the average consumer like me,then the difference is not really an issue
also unless you need all the enhanced flight modes on offer ,then the MPP has plenty to amuse those who like to use them,if just manually flying your drone is what floats your boat then go for the MPP ,if you prefer the photography side of things and the auto flight modes go for the M2P

I really have to look into this model. I've passed it over as it doesn't get much play in the forum and may be the way to go for now, at $1500 for the fly more kit.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But wait the whole premise of this thread is that price is not an issue. Apparently it is an issue.
Although the MP two is a better drone you should get the MA2.
The mp2 is actually overpriced Especially for your needs. You will never notice the difference in the camera.

What I'm looking for is to flush out value, as well as determine by the experience of others which features they feel make one selection possibly better than another, not necessarily reliant price. I'm trying to flush out the value of "paying up" and of course evaluating current technology from "legacy" technology. The MA2 is obviously newer technology, but sold for less than the M2's it is important to find out what makes buying cheaper or paying up the way to go. Timing has an impact too, with the M2's almost legacy drones with the M3's expected later this year.

Mavic seems to be a master at marketing, placing features at varying price points where they can really jack price and margin for little additional production costs. The one redeeming aspect of DJI drones is that the reliability, handling and serviceability seems far ahead of its competitors.

Mavic two because of the camera capabilities and also the redundant Imu , compass and other internal safety features And also the app is better in my opinion

i have the Mavic air 2 and very happy with it.
go from there.
i have also had the phantom 4 pro
phantom 4
phanton 3 pro
phantom 3
the Mavic air 2 gave me the best vidio on my i pad mini 4 no lag.

Got the Zoom and love it. The variable focal length makes it so much easier to get the shots you want. Only wish it could zoom in even closer than the 24 - 48mm. I don't consider 48mm a zoom. 200mm is a Zoom. Basically goes from a wide angle to a normal view. Wanted a shot of some eagles sitting in a tree, and even at full zoom, I would have had to fly closer than I'm comfortable doing to get close enough to fill the frame. For landscapes and structures, can't beat it.

If I were given a free pass. It would be the mavic pro 2. Why??? For the camera. And you can’t even compare the air 2 with the mavic pro 2. Not a fair fight.

For those saying most people won't be able to tell the difference with the M2P camera, this is an example from a while back with a couple of stops pulled back in the shadows which you can't get near on a small sensor:

i-rMRgN74-X2.png

If you don't process raw files and shoot jpeg only you won't see this advantage but for those that do, there's a very noticeable advantage from the 1in sensor.

For those saying most people won't be able to tell the difference with the M2P camera, this is an example from a while back with a couple of stops pulled back in the shadows which you can't get near on a small sensor:

i-rMRgN74-X2.png

If you don't process raw files and shoot jpeg only you won't see this advantage but for those that do, there's a very noticeable advantage from the 1in sensor.

I always shoot in RAW and own a Mavic Air 1. I would hands down buy M2P, if these 3 were the only options and money was not a problem.

I have been waiting for almost 6 months now to buy a Mavic 3 :(
I hope they release it by Sept/Oct this year

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661