DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

If you could pick . . . .

hibby

Reactions
Very recent new owner of my first UAV (Mavic Pro). I operate it with an iPhone 6 Plus. I'm very careful with my phone and having to use it in the RC requires me removing my Otterbox which I really dislike doing. So I am contemplating buying something used specifically for using on my remote control. I don't plan to use it as a cell phone but just for GPS and video. If you could pick what device to buy in this situation, what would it be? Everything I read seems to direct you away from android devices although supposedly the Google Nexus 7 tablet is supposed to be a good choice. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

As an Android fan and someone who dislikes Apple, I'd agree with the iPad Mini 4 recommendation as it seems a solid and reliable device to use with the Mavic. The Nvidia Shield K1 did appear to work well with the Mavic until the Android Nougat 7 update, if it's kept on Marshmallow it still seems to work ok.

I've had very inconsistent behaviour from my Android devices, my Galaxy Note 4 is on the supported list but frequently hard crashes when connected to the Mavic while my unsupported Sony Z Ultra is better I wouldn't be recommending an Android device.

Reactions: hibby
Love my 64gb iPad mini 2. Cheaper than the 4, powerful enough for all my needs. Whatever makes financial sense to you though is what should be your deciding factor. iPads in my opinion are bar none. Use a lightening cable and a tripod/stand. Check out Groupon but I wouldn't suggest anything refurbished.

Reactions: Soundtekk and hibby
Any iPad that also has "cellular" has a built in gps.... you don't have to activate the cellular plan to benefit the gps. But wifi only models do not have a built in gps.

After working for dji and doing some beta testing with firmware and app gave me the inside look at some stuff. Dji favors the ios format. And because of that, the mini 4 is the better option. This comes from a Hardcore android guy that currently flies his Mavic pro with a mini 2.

There is a current issue with 4.0.7 & 4.0.8 ios GO4 app when used with the 1.03.0600 firmware. The .0500 and .0550 firmware works about 90% with the mentioned app versions. The .0600 firmware is much worse then 90%.

GPS built in?

I'm not sure..I believe so. But could be wrong! I know that I purchased my iPad for business only (using it with my Mavic and soon to be Inspire 1 or Phantom4 Pro) no cell phone use capability. I use it with the "hotspot" feature from my iPhone with AT&T.

Reactions: Soundtekk
Not in the standard GPS sense. The Cellular versions gives you the GPS capability. The Cell service does not have to be activated...

I've use an Ipad Mini 4 with cellular or if I need a bigger screen, I use an IPad Air 2 with cellular. Never had a serious problem with any IPads I've used that DJI supports...

For me the price difference between an Android device that may or may not be supported and an Ipad is worth it as I don't want any hassles...

Do any of the ipads have gps built in?

I'm late to this thread.
Here is an Android fan speaking that getting rid of his S7 Edge was the best thing he could do and now uses an iPad mini 4 just for this purpose.
Flawless experience. I could not be more satisfied.

The caveat are the cached files you have no access until you get it pluged to that crappy iTunes.

I use an iPhone 6 Plus. The iPad Mini is great but it's just too bulky for me and therefore makes it harder to get a good grip on the sticks and buttons

Rob

At first i used my lg g3 then got a cellular ipad mini4 a few weeks ago, so awesome with a 8" screen, fits the rc like it was meant to be.

I use an iPhone 6 Plus. The iPad Mini is great but it's just too bulky for me and therefore makes it harder to get a good grip on the sticks and buttons

Rob

The iPad mini (2 or higher) will (in a cumbersome way) still fit directly in the controller. However, I've found that a MavMount works much better. I don't feel it's too cumbersome, in the mount above the controller and I can still easily see both screens.

Mavic iPad Tablet Adapter - MavMount

Reactions: Aerial West
The iPad mini (2 or higher) will (in a cumbersome way) still fit directly in the controller. However, I've found that a MavMount works much better. I don't feel it's too cumbersome, in the mount above the controller and I can still easily see both screens.

Mavic iPad Tablet Adapter - MavMount
agreed--Mav Mount is a great addition!

Very recent new owner of my first UAV (Mavic Pro). I operate it with an iPhone 6 Plus. I'm very careful with my phone and having to use it in the RC requires me removing my Otterbox which I really dislike doing.
Depending on which Otterbox case you own, you might be able to wedge it between the remote controller arms like this.

I'm one of the rare ones not to like the iPad mini, screen way too dim and washed out colors.

I use a Huawei Mate 8, bright 6" screen and no need for any mounting mods.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan