DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

If you like pushing it to the limit and fly higher, faster and farther than the law permits, just because you can… think again

Not to mention, do any of YOU want to be among the hundreds killed when (it's gonna happen eventually) a UAV goes through the windscreen or gets sucked into an engine, the first time one shares the same airspace as an aircraft in flight? No, didn't think so... now carry on spouting irrelevant statistics about other things that cause fatalities.
At least the stats are REAL numbers with actual casualties. Where are the numbers to support your catastrophe by drones scenario? Planes crash almost every day it seems, for many reasons. So much so it hardly makes national news.
Risks need to be actual calculated risks before you should lobby to reduce them. SO FAR the number of drone casualties is ZERO. WORLDWIDE!

And no mass shootings whatsoever since Dunblane. In 1996.

And the vast majority of gun related deaths in the UK are gang related followed by armed response police (note most of our police are unarmed).

Deaths of ‘innocent’ people (for want of a better word) is practically zero.

Seems like well placed bombs and running crowds down with trucks and things have replaced the simple firearm in some countries. I guess they will find a way to kill, if they want to kill. Dont blame the tools for the crimes, blame the people.
I think if you take a look at the murders in the US lots of them are at the hands of people that we have released from jail. Maybe Europe and other countries keep better track of their known criminals? Freedoms can be good and bad. Your free Healthcare system seems crazy to some Americans. We dont need government approval for medical procedures here in the US. It is my understanding that is the case with some deemed "unnecessary" cases in a government controlled system?

why do drones have such a bad reputation?
the general public treat drones & there operators like evil deviates, who just want to spy on people, if that was the case it would be much cheaper getting a $50 pair of binoculars.
I just don't understand why the bad rep, here in Australia there hasn't been much bad publicity to justify the hatred towards drones.
I witnessed this 1st hand last week , flying my drone along the shore line { all legal } a group of teens thought it would be fun to through rocks at my drone. I was practicing flying close to the waves with my $150 bugs 5 drone, I still told the guys off, but if it was my mavic, I would of really freaked.
It just makes me feel like I am doing something wrong when using my drone.

That's just probably teens doing stupid teen things. It probably didn't matter specifically that it was a drone.

OK guys when your Political and Gun post start disappearing don't think nothing about it.
You know we do not discuss such here and it stops here .
Now if you want to continue to do so go ahead I will just shut this down .
All want the rules to be followed and I want all to follow our guidelines here .
Thank You.

thanks Dirkclod was beginning to think i was on the wrong forum

Reactions: dirkclod
Yes I have.. Not to live though... Explain the relevance of your question? Are you questioning laws and facts or just poking to poke?
Just curious as to the reason for your post that they don't have freedom.

OK guys when your Political and Gun post start disappearing don't think nothing about it.
You know we do not discuss such here and it stops here .
Now if you want to continue to do so go ahead I will just shut this down .
All want the rules to be followed and I want all to follow our guidelines here .
Thank You.

Fair :)

Reactions: dirkclod
i might be wrong but i think that the original post that started this thread off was about us as UAV flyers being responcible for our actions when we take to the air. my car will do well over the speed limit and if i am caught then i have to face the concerquences of my actions what ever we do in life has rules and regulations and as long as we are sensible and dont push the limits then all will be well whether we like the rules or not

Reactions: dannybgoode
That's what makes me the most frustrated... * the whole people doing stupid things and then others giving them praise and kudos for doing stupid things.* *As a private pilot,* I have GREAT respect for the rules that govern the national airspace. They are created for GOOD reason... flying an aircraft of any kind requires regulation. I've had enough issues to deal with in the sky including birds and other aircraft---I don't need some idiot trying to prove how much of an idiot they are by disregarding the rules. Yes, it's a big *** sky, but you need to respect the safety of everyone who uses it.

Point one, nobody gets to tell me what I can say, whom I can praise or what I find praiseworthy. Point two, this is EXACTLY what I was talking about on the other thread. This elitist, "as a part 107 pilot" or "as a private pilot" preface to your opinion somehow makes it more valid than anyone else's. Get over yourself. A toy drone coming into contact with a commercial airliner is a ridiculous concern. Exactly how long are jets flying under 1600 feet? (The max height of a Mavic or any DJI consumer drone) Is it beyond 5 miles? No? Problem solved. How high do light aircraft typically fly? 10,000 feet? Do they achieve this height within 5 miles of an airport? They do? Do they typically fly below 1600 feet? They don't? Then what is everyone so worried about? I understand there can be rare occasions when aircraft may be below those numbers but it's hardly the norm, is it? Stay above 2000 feet and I can all but guarantee your safety. In my opinion, it's the private pilots that need to stay out of our airspace from now on.

Last edited:
Point one, nobody gets to tell me what I can say, whom I can praise or what I find praiseworthy. Point two, this is EXACTLY what I was talking about on the other thread. This elitist, "as a part 107 pilot" or "as a private pilot" preface to your opinion somehow makes it more valid than anyone else's. Get over yourself. A toy drone coming into contact with a commercial airliner is a ridiculous concern. Exactly how long are jets flying under 1600 feet? (The max height of a Mavic or any DJI consumer drone) Is it beyond 5 miles? No? Problem solved. How high do light aircraft typically fly? 10,000 feet? Do they achieve this height within 5 miles of an airport? They do? Do they typically fly below 1600 feet? They don't? Then what is everyone so worried about? I understand there can be rare occasions when aircraft may be below those numbers but it's hardly the norm, is it? Stay above 2000 feet and I can all but guarantee your safety. In my opinion, it's the private pilots that need to stay out of our airspace from now on.
I wish I could double like a post.....

Reactions: Tesadorn

No point engaging in a battle of wits with unarmed persons. And, by the way, the max service ceiling of the Mavic 2 is 6,000 meters asl... that’s almost 20,000 ft.

Last edited:
Reactions: Classic flyer
The above is what scares me... I fear that the younger generation has lost sight of this...
To some extent, this day has already arrived. Toyota informed me recently of a new type of insurance they're going to offer that will adjust rates based on how you drive. I know one thing it mentioned was how fast you stop. I'm sure they will also look at how fast you drive, certainly how far you drive each year, how you accelerate, etc. I would not agree to that type of insurance, but you can rest assured that it is the way of the future. Many new cars are connected via cellular signals (as is mine). They are very well-suited to this kind of monitoring. While I can see the benefits of both systems, I prefer the current one in which they base rates largely on the results of your driving. I've been driving for over 30 years and have never had a ticket. The only wrecks I've been in were ones other people caused that I could not avoid. If I want to speed on an open road with little or no traffic, I want to be free to do that.

Ultimately, however, we are heading to the era of driverless vehicles. At first, they will share the road. Then, eventually, their use will be mandated and self-driven cars will be phased out. I think in 40 years (perhaps sooner) self-driven cars will be a thing of the past, either prohibited entirely or limited in use to certain areas.

As far as drones go, I'd be in favor of many measures that make them safer on the whole. I think requiring a parachute on them would be one good idea. There are too many imbeciles out there. You can say the same about people driving cars, but we have had over 100 years to get used to and adapt to the risks that cars pose.

Last edited:
Most light aircraft fly below 10,000 feet, many between 1500-2000 feet. Of those that do elect to fly above 10000, most do not repack 10k until far more than 5 miles after takeoff. Nearly all approaches, including large turbojet aircraft are FAR below 10k within 5 miles.

How about helicopters? They frequently fly relatively low. A tail rotor strike with a drone could cause serious damage, as could one through the windscreen.

The airspace below 2000 is not YOUR airspace, it is part of the National Airspace System and belongs to everyone. It’s imperative that all users follow the rules.

Although there have been no known crashes because of a drone incident, are you prepared to pay for the damage if your drone in ingested into an engine?

No point engaging in a battle of wits with unarmed persons. And, by the way, the max service ceiling of the Mavic 2 is 6,000 meters asl... that’s almost 20,000 ft.

Oh horse crap! 1600 agl is all you're gonna get without some serious mods. What, are we now concerned that someone is gonna take off from MT Everest and fly into a 747 over Chicago? Geez, this is such a two sided problem on this forum. On one side is all the guys crying over NFZs and on the other is guys claiming that DJI drones can take down an airliner! It's like you all are committed to being perpetually upset about nothing! Its a toy you can pick up at Best Buy for God's sake. You act as if you're concerned about contact with a Spark at 20,000 feet.

Like I said, stay above 2000 feet AGL and you'll be safe from all those deadly drones. Because REGARDLESS of the operational ceiling, the drone will only climb 1600 feet from the ground. Talk about being unarmed.

Last edited:
Most light aircraft fly below 10,000 feet, many between 1500-2000 feet. Of those that do elect to fly above 10000, most do not repack 10k until far more than 5 miles after takeoff. Nearly all approaches, including large turbojet aircraft are FAR below 10k within 5 miles.

How about helicopters? They frequently fly relatively low. A tail rotor strike with a drone could cause serious damage, as could one through the windscreen.

The airspace below 2000 is not YOUR airspace, it is part of the National Airspace System and belongs to everyone. It’s imperative that all users follow the rules.

Although there have been no known crashes because of a drone incident, are you prepared to pay for the damage if your drone in ingested into an engine?

Oh really? Because too many of you pilots act as if you own the airspace personally.

I get out of the way of any aircraft so that's not my point.

There's no known contact because it's next to impossible. Regardless of the exact numbers, you're not gonna convince me that airliners aren't over 1600 feet AGL within 5 miles of the airport. If you're gonna cite the extreme exceptions to try and prove your point. I guess there's nothing to discuss. I'm taking about the day to day situations most of us encounter flying our drones. I don't fly anywhere near airports anyway...

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure