DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Illegal????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed H

Reactions
Is it Illegal to fly near an ex-president?? It might not be smart but if the air space is good ?? I know someone who was flying over
a golf course and the secret service told them they can not fly here. So he did stop. So would have I. I was just curious if it legal or not.

I would have thought the powers that be would make a temporary "no go" area over such a person. May be wrong but then I'm in the UK.

Reactions: LeeHene
I looked it up you should be able to fly there. But should you when they asked you not to?? Like I said I wouldn't

Check TFR.FAA.gov.

If it's clear, fly. Not all ex-Presidents have TFRs. They do have SS though. Maybe expect a visit if you get too close.

Check TFR.FAA.gov.

If it's clear, fly. Not all ex-Presidents have TFRs. They do have SS though. Maybe expect a visit if you get too close.
Why no all ex presidet’s 🤷‍♂️ Thought they all had it. Just curious which ones the chose.

Reactions: Cameronkeel
It is an interesting research project. (Which president? And where?) I have been super close to presidents and vice presidents. Candidates, etc. There are security clearances, but to what avail. I'll contact the FAA to find out... But we have a member of the forum that is already on the official boards... I'll still inquire.(I haven't been here long enough to remember)

Reactions: nevadariver
TFRs for "VIPs" are routine. Doesn't need to be an ex-president, it can be anyone they deem "important." They don't publish the criteria for who's "important" enough to qualify. Security policy is intentionally designed to not be too predictable. If you ask who qualifies, they won't give you a specific answer, other than "whoever we think should." The secret service does not respond well to pressure, and lack a sense of humor.

Reactions: jaswalt and BigAl07
I assume that even an ex-president could decline a TFR if they crave attention badly enough.
TFRs for "VIPs" are routine. Doesn't need to be an ex-president, it can be anyone they deem "important." They don't publish the criteria for who's "important" enough to qualify. Security policy is intentionally designed to not be too predictable. If you ask who qualifies, they won't give you a specific answer, other than "whoever we think should." The secret service does not respond well to pressure, and lack a sense of humor.
My experience is quite different. I have been a member of several protection details with the SS during my LE career. I don’t mean on the parade route either. Many remain close friends well into our retirement years.

They do not take themselves too seriously at all - they take their jobs very seriously though and that’s the difference.

Is it Illegal to fly near an ex-president?? It might not be smart but if the air space is good ?? I know someone who was flying over
a golf course and the secret service told them they can not fly here. So he did stop. So would have I. I was just curious if it legal or not.
If it is not, it should be. Anyone watching the use of drones in the Russia-Ukraine war should have a very clear understanding of the risk of consumer drones armed with small munitions.

If it is not, it should be. Anyone watching the use of drones in the Russia-Ukraine war should have a very clear understanding of the risk of consumer drones armed with small munitions.
Where are you seeing reports of consumer drones with munitions in Ukraine? From what I've read, they've been used almost exclusively for reconnaissance.

Where are you seeing reports of consumer drones with munitions in Ukraine? From what I've read, they've been used almost exclusively for reconnaissance.
They have used several drones for munitions and I read of the Matrice being used for heavy munitions and I know the Air 2S for recon. I'm sure they have used consumer drones as well for some smaller weapons. In any case I would refrain from flying around an ex-president out of pure respect to prevent any anxiety on both the Ex and the SS. Just plain courtesy. IMHO

Reactions: Beet
They have used several drones for munitions and I read of the Matrice being used for heavy munitions and I know the Air 2S for recon. I'm sure they have used consumer drones as well for some smaller weapons. In any case I would refrain from flying around an ex-president out of pure respect to prevent any anxiety on both the Ex and the SS. Just plain courtesy. IMHO
1657570087310.png

Reactions: Beet
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom