DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IMHO this is the number one problem with the Mavic!

The problem you run into is that every software update makes some part of the manual obsolete.

But, I agree that DJI should put a little more effort into it.

Then again, any question I have I hit google or Youtube and get a much more in depth answer then I could in the manual that is probably out of date...

Thanks for the feedback guys. Keep it coming, hopefully DJI might start doing something about it.

Look at this Video:
The manual explains this but it's interpretation has been changed throughout numerous YouTube videos. It reached the point were I am pretty certain most people assumed it worked the way many YouTubers have explained.

Up until this point I have not seen anybody test it. Luckily Dragon7 demonstrated it properly and I fully understand how the manuals vague description is implemented.

Rob

I think the #1 problem is that once you buy the mavic, you are tempted to purchase so many other accessories it is adding up the cost of another mavic! I can't stop buying **** for it!
I haven't even gotten MP yet BUT have a "drawer" full of recommended stuff

Reactions: adamflath
I do not like this low battery thing. Why say your going to get 27 min out of a battery when the thing starts beeping at 18 min of use (low battery) and then tries to auto land after another 7 min. when you still have 15% battery. Thats not enjoyable last few minutes of use at all.

I do not like this low battery thing. Why say your going to get 27 min out of a battery when the thing starts beeping at 18 min of use (low battery) and then tries to auto land after another 7 min. when you still have 15% battery. Thats not enjoyable last few minutes of use at all.

The "low battery" and " critical battery (15 % in your case) " percentages can be adjusted in DJI GO 4

DJI documentation is beyond horrible for all products. I have literally had to Google every Go app feature, warning, button, etc. to figure out how to use this thing and how it actually works. It's ridiculous. I still don't understand why my camera settings wheel controls different camera settings depending on its mood and why the same wheel on my P4P does nothing at all.

Reactions: Robbyg
The "low battery" and " critical battery (15 % in your case) " percentages can be adjusted in DJI GO 4

I know but its a tricky chose to lower them cause yuou never knw what situation you can get into . I wish there wsa a snooze option for these alert whre you can silence them for a few more minutes if you know you are in safe control. I see if I'm far over water then early notices are good but if I'm in my back yard I should be able to fly last few minutes in piece and quiet without all the crazy beeping or it disabling crash detection and dropping my bird to auto land on a tree in front of me. lol.

I think the #1 problem is that once you buy the mavic, you are tempted to purchase so many other accessories it is adding up the cost of another mavic! I can't stop buying **** for it!
Economics 101.

Did any one else pick up on the fact that in the video it demonstrates that 10% critical battery is the point were the Mavic is going to be touching the ground no matter what. I wonder does that apply to all situations.

I know. Hard case, gps tag, strobe light, hoodman!!

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I've owned several Phantoms, starting with the Vision Plus (crappy-*** camera) and also own the Inspire1 and just bought the Mavic. DJI puts out a great turn-key systems, but their documentation/training has been deplorable. This is really serious stuff, and I always have been amazed how a billion dollar company can't keep up with better documentation and instructional videos that are more than some male model on camera. All we can do is communicate on forums like this, asking our questions...and spend a heck of a lot of time watching YOU TUBE videos. This has always been very frustrating to me.

The biggest problem and maybe the only problem with the Mavic Pro is the complete lack of detailed documentation. The manual for the Mavic is about 20% complete. It tells you whats in the menu and sometimes explains what the option does but it rarely gives you any context of how different setting interact and scenarios were you want to use one setting versus another. It also lacks any detailed flight info or emergency procedures or best practices etc. As for the DJI Go software, I cannot find a manual for it, just the 4 pages that scrape over the basics at the end of the Mavic manual.
DJI come on guys you have 1 page in the Manual dedicated to RTH. Really!
And the camera has just about no info, my Sons kiddy camera has more online documentation than the Mavic's Camera. Lastly they don't even include a Mavic pre-flight checklist that is written by the DJI engineers and pilots? The community has to write their own!

I have watched at least 100+ YouTube videos and I got to give these guys credit, they are filling in many of the blanks in the manual but at the end of the day there is a lot of conflicting information on YouTube. This Forum is probably the best source for accurate info but it's a growing knowledge base and it does not direct you step by step.

IMHO most crashes seem to occur because people do not understand how some of the critical features work. Maybe the did not watch enough videos or read enough articles. If they just go by the manual they are going to get a lot of surprises. I know almost everyone will crash at some point, but a lot of the crashes could be avoided if people were better educated on flying the Mavic and yes it's obvious that some people are just impatient and reckless.

The first person to write a complete book AKA the Bible on how to use the DJI Mavic Pro is going to make some serious money. It may take time but if you can get a proper book written that covers hardware and software and get it up on Amazon in eReader format it will sell thousands of copies. I would gladly put out $20 right now for a properly done 400+ page user guide and I would go as high as $40 for a physical book.

Rob
FWIW, I believe most crashes are due to those people getting the drone, taking it out of the box and flying it without any understand of registration, B4UFLY and features. Those people thing their drone is a toy.

An example on lack of information in the manual is how to get Mavic into "Spotlight mode". I spent more than an hour finding out how.

Instead of a thick manual I miss a Demo mode, where you can fly a virtual Mavic, and learn from your mistakes.

Have any of you tried to leave the mavic on its own when it says unsafe to land?
Mine did this to me on a RTH a few feet from where i took off about 2ft off the ground. I just left it and the battery went all the way down to 0 and basically just dropped. I was a little disturbed that it would not even attempt to make a landing before cutting out.

The manual has a lot of information. I've read it three times and highlighted parts all over. Yet when I expect one thing, I get another. Okay, that might be experience (lack of) - but Robbyg is right: the doc is light, incomplete in places and ambiguous in others.

It also prints out poorly (I DL'd the pdf and printed on a laser printer - the tiny illustrations are in a light grey that does not render well at all).

The biggest problem and maybe the only problem with the Mavic Pro is the complete lack of detailed documentation. The manual for the Mavic is about 20% complete. It tells you whats in the menu and sometimes explains what the option does but it rarely gives you any context of how different setting interact and scenarios were you want to use one setting versus another. It also lacks any detailed flight info or emergency procedures or best practices etc. As for the DJI Go software, I cannot find a manual for it, just the 4 pages that scrape over the basics at the end of the Mavic manual.
DJI come on guys you have 1 page in the Manual dedicated to RTH. Really!
And the camera has just about no info, my Sons kiddy camera has more online documentation than the Mavic's Camera. Lastly they don't even include a Mavic pre-flight checklist that is written by the DJI engineers and pilots? The community has to write their own!

I have watched at least 100+ YouTube videos and I got to give these guys credit, they are filling in many of the blanks in the manual but at the end of the day there is a lot of conflicting information on YouTube. This Forum is probably the best source for accurate info but it's a growing knowledge base and it does not direct you step by step.

IMHO most crashes seem to occur because people do not understand how some of the critical features work. Maybe the did not watch enough videos or read enough articles. If they just go by the manual they are going to get a lot of surprises. I know almost everyone will crash at some point, but a lot of the crashes could be avoided if people were better educated on flying the Mavic and yes it's obvious that some people are just impatient and reckless.

The first person to write a complete book AKA the Bible on how to use the DJI Mavic Pro is going to make some serious money. It may take time but if you can get a proper book written that covers hardware and software and get it up on Amazon in eReader format it will sell thousands of copies. I would gladly put out $20 right now for a properly done 400+ page user guide and I would go as high as $40 for a physical book.

Rob

Well I would agree but then that suggests an opportunity does it not? Someone could end up publishing a definitive manual on the Mavic Pro!

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Hi people, I have the same problems you have. I´m new to the Mavic and have several questions that can´t be solved with the manual. I had some bigger drones before, including the inspire1 and not a single one had decent description.
I´m a photographer and filmmaker. I´m not sure if I´d find the time, but I might think about creating a youtube videoguide, if some of the members in this forum would be willing to help. I´m currently creating a photo course, and it could look similar to that.
However, with the amount of time it takes to create such things, I´d have to monetize the videos on youtube, using adds.
What I´d need help with would be the chapters, and with the content since I only own the mavic for a little over two weeks.
As I said, I can´t yet tell for sure if I find the time, but it would definitely be fun.

Ha Ha, fully agree, since receiving my Mavic hardly a day goes by without a delivery.

Reactions: Norval
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure