DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IMU Calibration

Ricochet

Reactions
I am thinking about buying a MP and was wondering how level a spot has to be to calibrate the IMU? I have installed a level app on my Ipad and checked all of my countertops in my house. The countertops all come up +/- .2 degrees on both the X and Y axis. Is that close enough? I have also thought of going to the hardware store and buying some leveling compound and setting up a small location for calibration (this is where the OCD comes in). Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

I did mine on my kitchen table that's on carpet, so I'm sure it's not dead level. Mavic flies great. Acc noise is at 0.01 on both units.

You'll get the best results if the surface is exactly level. I use a level like this one to check my surface:

Z3J_xyfo5oy.JPG

Um... if your tables are not level you can slip something under a leg to make them 100% level. You can also spend a lot of money to level the floor in the home but that is much more expensive and time consuming.

Reactions: Rbruz
You'll get the best results if the surface is exactly level. I use a level like this one to check my surface:

View attachment 9648

I haven't done an IMU calibration, and I just got my replaced Mavic back. I had the thing less days then I sent it out for a warranty repair. Do you do your IMU calibration at every fligh? I get mixed reviews when it should and shouldn't be done.

If I do an IMU calibration, could it be done at different flight places as doing the compass? Example, doing the IMU calibration at home, and then doing the compass calibration 20+miles distance at flight site.

Do you do your IMU calibration at every fligh?
No. Once you have a good calibration, you shouldn't have to do it again unless your Mavic is getting tossed around (e.g. in a shipping box).

If I do an IMU calibration, could it be done at different flight places as doing the compass?
Yes. It's important to only do the IMU calibration when your Mavic is cool and is sitting on a perfectly level surface. That's usually easiest when indoors.

So, I've had my Mavic just over two weeks and it had been behaving just fine. After the last firmware update (last week) it didn't seem as stable when hovering as it had prior to the update so I thought maybe an IMU calibration was in order. I see several videos on how to perform the calibration and all of them specify to "press the blue camera button" in the DJI go app - problem is, my DJI go 4 app on the iPhone 5S I'm using doesn't display a "blue camera button" --- I saw on this forum somewhere that others were having this same issue with iPads and the "solution was to backup the iPad to their iTunes on their computer then "restore" the iPad software from the backup on the computer. I've done this with my iPhone but still no blue camera button appears. Has anyone else experienced this issue and if so, is there another method to get the blue camera button to appear, or is there another method to get into the IMU calibration area of the app?

Um... if your tables are not level you can slip something under a leg to make them 100% level. You can also spend a lot of money to level the floor in the home but that is much more expensive and time consuming.
tcope
I am trying to calibrate the IMU & have it on a perfectly level desktop. Trouble is every time I place the Mavic onto its end, the gimbal/camera starts to vibrate. I understand the process should be carried out without any movement.
Any comments?

What part of TAS are you in?
I'm just east of Hobart...are you coming over to calibrate the IMU for me? LOL.
BTW I solved the vibration problem by placing a mouse pad under the Magic.
Are you in Tasmania too?

I'm just east of Hobart...are you coming over to calibrate the IMU for me? LOL.
BTW I solved the vibration problem by placing a mouse pad under the Magic.
Are you in Tasmania too?
Sorry Boss, just notice you live in Sorell. I'm on Carlton Beach. Come over and fly.

After installing the new firmware I tried the IMU calibration . After I pressed start the Mavic icon moved to a different position, I changed the mavic to line up with the illustration and it just sat there saying calibrating but goes no further than 2/5 in the right hand corner.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan