DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Indoor Crash Hover 1.2m

antvera

Reactions
Rookie pilot in a rush. After unboxing and charging I switched the drone, controller and IPhone on. It connected to the Drone and I could see the image from the cam on the phone. No real intention of flying it at that stage. Noticed the slide button on the phone screen that indicated it would let the Mavic hover at 1.2m. Saw some footage of a Mavic doing this indoors, so thought, that is what the Drone would do if I slid the slider. I slid the slider, drone started to rise past 1.2m and kept going until it hit the ceiling. It actually stayed there flying up for 8-9sec, until my groping on the controls made the motors stop and the Drone fell to the floor. Approx 2.2m. The camera stopped working and I could not calibrate the compass when I briefly tried outside. Did fly the Drone outside a few times and the flying seemed fine. Please try not to tell me how stupid this was.

What I am trying to find out is, if this was my mistake or was this a fault or bad design from DJI?

Unfortunately I do not have the log file as I have already taken the drone in for repairs. I have the file records from the phone if that helps.

It is just that it was clear there was no satellite signal, why would the option to hover at 1.2m come available if it was not able to do so safely? While flying outside, the 1.2m hover came up again, I activated it to test and again the drone kept climbing.

Any help/insight would be appreciated.

Did you tick the "precision" box in the Takeoff slider?

I think I did. [emoji853]

The drone will rise to up to take a picture of the landing spot. It says 20m but It only seems to be about 30 feet to me. Either way, it's doom inside anything but a warehouse.

In general, I find it much easier to just to do the CSC as in, both sticks down and in and then you can control it. I've used the take off slider twice out of maybe 80 flights just to see what it does.

Don't feel too bad man. Everybody who receives the mavic on a day where the weather doesn't permit flying outdoors tries it... with almost always bad results. The mavic is a little marvel and easy to fly, but it is a sophisticated system which may behave in unexpected ways sometimes.

Hopefully it wasn't damaged beyond repair and you'll be able to enjoy it for many flights to come.

In general, I find it much easier to just to do the CSC as in, both sticks down and in and then you can control it. I've used the take off slider twice out of maybe 80 flights just to see what it does.

So what do you think? Was it my fault?

So what do you think? Was it my fault?

If you used the precision landing checkbox, yes, it was your fault. That said, I know that in my version of the Go.4 app, it warns you it will rise up. Did yours present you with that warning?

They probably should prevent precision landing if you aren't in view of any sats, or at least pop up an additional warning box to prevent exactly this issue.

If you used the precision landing checkbox, yes, it was your fault. That said, I know that in my version of the Go.4 app, it warns you it will rise up. Did yours present you with that warning?

They probably should prevent precision landing if you aren't in view of any sats, or at least pop up an additional warning box to prevent exactly this issue.

Do you think something like this should be covered by the DJI warranty?

Do you think something like this should be covered by the DJI warranty?

No, it actually did what it was supposed to do, you just happened to have had a ceiling in the way.

Eventually even the cheapest drones will have collision avoidance in every direction but we're not there yet. An inspire 2 would have stopped but at 4 times the cost.

Thanks. Hopefully the repair isn't too expensive. Not holding my breath as I think the Gimbel connecting wire was broken.

Just to add to the conversation, I also ran my Mavic for the first time out of the box indoors in a small room using the launch to 1.2m feature. It launched fine with no issues. It was over floorboards. Out of curiosity, did you launch it over carpet?

Here's a good breakdown of the way Mavic handles its height and positioning:
Mavic Height over hill ground

And some possible scenarios where the Mavic might have trouble:

vps2-png.1834

If the sensors are not getting accurate readings, then in 'looking' for 1.2m it will keep going up trying to find it, which in your case could have been up through the roof somewhere. :( If your situation doesn't fit any of the scenarios then something may have been faulty out of the box.

Thanks. It was on black/grey carpet tiles in a well lit office. I suspected the carpet could be a possible cause. But I mean allowing the drone to continue up is non-sensical. Surely if it can't read the hight as a result of some interference/surface upon getting the instruction to hover at 1.2m then it should land as default or not be allowed to take off? [emoji53]

Another question, any reason why the down control did not work?

Last edited:
Yeah it was your fault. The closer you get to the ceiling the easier it rises up without input as the drone is trying to "suck" the limited volume of air above it. I'd keep the flying to outdoors unless you have a big space inside or a warehouse. I've also seen ppl fly inside with minimal sats locked then the mavic goes crazy as it experiences GPS drift inside =/

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne