DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad Mini 3 or 4?

No. The difference is that one has a cell card and the other does not.
The cell one also has a GPS chip, the WiFi does not.

The practical differences are 2 things :

You can't load maps unless you pre cache them, and you can't update your home point to follow the controller.

You can't load maps unless you pre cache them, and you can't update your home point to follow the controller.
Just to clarify -- maps can also be loaded in real-time by tethering to a mobile phone or an external GPS receiver. Resetting the home point is a manual process. In DJI GO, the home point will never auto reset to follow the remote controller as you move.

Reactions: Soundtekk
So it's not worth the extra money for the cell option . I thought the presence of the GPS option was a big benefit .

GPS is only a benefit on the mobile device if you want to use the Follow Me flight mode or be able to reset the home point to your current location after taking off.

iPad mini 4
4b3f0be9535b7f82d42171644ff2c4dc.jpg
2b60e14f2ca3604b3c7f3dd039bc8a08.jpg

There is a great video on YouTube on the iPad Mini 4 VS. the iPad Mini 2 & 3. It shows you that there are some SIGNIFICANT improvements in the iPad Mini 4 that make it worth the extra $80. Better screen, much faster processor, less glare, and others. I went with the 4 with no GPS and have had zero issues. (plus, your tablet won't be obsolete nearly as soon, they're coming out with a new iPad Mini soon, and that will make the iPad Mini 2 three generations old already.)

I used to use the S7 (with GPS), and was afraid I would miss the GPS capabilities on the Mini, but I do not.

Reactions: Soundtekk
I got the cell version just cause I wanted the gps. I just put the ipad in the provided mavic phone mount with no problems. I dont have any issues with sun glare, mainly because i have a hatch back car and the hatch acts as a giant sunshade.

I just ordered a mini 4 from Apple's refurbished site, no cellular, 16gb for $279 with full warranty. Not so bad comparing prices seen on Craig list lately for questionable used ones.

Gamestop has refurb models of the apple ipad 4 wifi only for $202 I just ordered one, i will let you know how it looks.

Reactions: SeaComms
Wow, some mis-information on this thread. The Ipad Mini 2 is NOT the same as the IPad Mini 4. Not even close. Go to the Apple site and check the specs. The Ipad Mini 3 as was noted above is a Ipad 2 with some very minor enhancements, nothing that would make it better for flying a drone.

I've used an Ipad Mini, Ipad Mini4, Ipad Air, Ipad Air 2, and Ipad Pro with my DJI drones (P3, P4, Inspire, and Mavic) and there are definite performance differences between the them.
My Ipad Air is the processing equivalent of the Ipad Mini 2. While it worked very well it did have some very minor issues. Still very useable but some things I noticed were; occasional partial screen refresh, partial green screen refresh, occasional momentary freeze, occasional lag. Nothing so bad it ever left me in a panic, just momentar. My Ipad Mini 4, Ipad Air2, and Ipad Pro run flawlessly. No issues what-so-ever. (GO app and firmware upgrade issues aside).

For me, when I buy/bought my DJI birds, I factored in the cost of a quality tablet whether it was Android based or an Apple product. It just so happens DJI products "seem" to work best with Apple products.

Reactions: k3vnnyork
I just ordered a mini 4 from Apple's refurbished site, no cellular, 16gb for $279 with full warranty. Not so bad comparing prices seen on Craig list lately for questionable used ones.

See if it's not too late to cancel your order and check gamestop online. I got a mini 4 refurb 32gb with cellular for the same price. Even if you don't care about the GPS it doubles your storage right off the bat and can increase your resale should you ever find the need.

Reactions: abptech
No, you do not need cellular service activated... You do not need cellular service to get GPS to work.

If I get an IPad mini 2/3, week I need cellular service for it to work with my mavic?

I love my iPad mini 2 64gb brand new off Groupon months and months ago for $349. I fly with the Mavic right now and have experienced zero issues as a previous poster stated some lag and refresh issues. Never had anything like that happen. DJI states their products work best with iOS. So not that they "seem" to work better with apple products, they do.

Also as already answered no cellular capability is required to fly with your iPad. I do not have cellular capability with my iPad mini 2. I use the "hotspot" feature and connect with my iPhone or use wifi if I want.

Just to clarify -- maps can also be loaded in real-time by tethering to a mobile phone or an external GPS receiver. Resetting the home point is a manual process. In DJI GO, the home point will never auto reset to follow the remote controller as you move.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even if it was possible to tether to an external GPS receiver (which at least with the iPad it's not as the lightning port has to be connected to the controller) there's no way to download maps with a GPS receiver. GPS receivers only receive lat/lon coordinates and time information to pinpoint your location and they don't download any other data such as maps.

See if it's not too late to cancel your order and check gamestop online. I got a mini 4 refurb 32gb with cellular for the same price. Even if you don't care about the GPS it doubles your storage right off the bat and can increase your resale should you ever find the need.

Too late but thanks. If I find I need GPS in it I'll check gamestop to see what they have, but I've a sneaky suspicion Apple may have a better mini up their sleeves this September as the Mini4 is 2 years old now... so I'll hold for this season.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even if it was possible to tether to an external GPS receiver (which at least with the iPad it's not as the lightning port has to be connected to the controller) there's no way to download maps with a GPS receiver. GPS receivers only receive lat/lon coordinates and time information to pinpoint your location and they don't download any other data such as maps.

BLUETOOTH.

Amazon.com: GlobalSat BT-821 Bluetooth GPS Receiver: Cell Phones & Accessories

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21