DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad vs cell phone

Mavic Maniac

Reactions
I flew my Mavic with my iPad Air 2 yesterday for the first time. Wow, what a difference. It greatly enhanced my flying experience. I got photos and videos that I could not have done with a small (iPhone 6 Plus) cell phone. I've ordered a bracket to attach my iPad to my Mavic controller and it should be here tomorrow. Can't wait. If you haven't tried something larger than your cell phone, don't wait, it's well worth the effort.

Attachments

• Mavic with iPad.JPG
    Mavic with iPad.JPG
    603 KB · Views: 103
Reactions: MavicMo
I will use mine on a tripod (I have an iPad tripod mount) and it works great. Get a longer lightening cable and I recommend a tripod shelf (something to set the remote on when you walk away). What is nice is that if you are working with someone else, they can also see the images as well for framing purposes. As well as control the camera (to a limited extent) while you fly.

Also, grab a sun shade/hood as well.

I am trying to decide which iPad to buy for my Mavic Pro. My understanding was that the iPad air 2 would fit the standard brackets on the controller as long as you dont have the case installed. Also do I need the cellular feature on the iPad or just the Wi-Fi?

I am trying to decide which iPad to buy for my Mavic Pro. My understanding was that the iPad air 2 would fit the standard brackets on the controller as long as you dont have the case installed. Also do I need the cellular feature on the iPad or just the Wi-Fi?

Air 2 will not in landscape mode, and I dont use it in portrait mode - the iPhone 6S+ is better at that point. The iPad Mini will. I have the Air 2 Cellular. The only thing you lose with the wifi only is the ability to download the maps, unless you can tether to a phone or other device. I also do not like the look or the covering up of the RC with some of the iPad/Tablet mounts, so I dont use one. This is why I just use the tripod.

The other solution is to use Litchi on the phone, Litchi Vue on the iPad and stream between the two. That way, you dont encumber the RC and still get the larger screen.

I also tried the iPad mini. Mine did not fit. The screen isn't that much larger. I like the full size of the iPad Air 2 much better. I don't mind if part or all of the controller is covered up as all the data I need is on the screen of the iPad using the Go app.

I will use mine on a tripod (I have an iPad tripod mount) and it works great. Get a longer lightening cable and I recommend a tripod shelf (something to set the remote on when you walk away). What is nice is that if you are working with someone else, they can also see the images as well for framing purposes. As well as control the camera (to a limited extent) while you fly.

Also, grab a sun shade/hood as well.
I also have a iPad Air2 cellular with a tripod mount and a 10' lightning cable, I use them when flying at the AMA field or at the park. Going to try the MavMount for the Air2 as it looks good. I flew my P3 with the Air2 all the time and going back to the small phone screen sucked big time. Great when you are on the go and traveling light but other times I love the large screen of the Air.

+1

I've used my Iphone 6+, Ipad Mini Wifi, and an Ipad Air. There are things that I'd miss on the smaller screen that the Ipad Air allows me to see. Detail in the trees, woods, or stream that I'd have otherwise missed.

Problem with the Ipad Mini wifi is there are a few features that don't work like follow me. Now this was with my Phantom 4. I figured it'd be the same so I've not even tried with the Mavic. I've tried using my Iphone as a hot spot, but my older Ipad Mini couldn't process the data fast enough. I always had some noticeable video lag looking at the screen real-time. No issues on SD card.

I'm still waiting on the adapter so I an use my IPad Air (cellular) with my Mavic. In the meantime its my Iphone 6 Plus...

I flew my Mavic with my iPad Air 2 yesterday for the first time. Wow, what a difference. It greatly enhanced my flying experience. I got photos and videos that I could not have done with a small (iPhone 6 Plus) cell phone. I've ordered a bracket to attach my iPad to my Mavic controller and it should be here tomorrow. Can't wait. If you haven't tried something larger than your cell phone, don't wait, it's well worth the effort.

iPhone 6, 6+, 7 and iPad Air 2 have a built in barometer. If you plan to use Autopilot, then it can track altitude diff when flying, a great safety feature.

I just switched to a iPad mini 3. Mount should be here in a few days. I will never go back to using my phone.

Good call on the switch, iPad mini 3 fits in controller, open all the way groves made for corners of the mini. Nice big picture, feels good in hands and no extra mount needed. Only way I fly!IMG_1658.JPGIMG_1659.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
azod.nem