DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad4 Mini or iPhone? Who prefers the iPad?

I have a iPad Mini 4 as well as a iPhone 7+

The iPhone screen is MUCH easier to see in the sun as the maximum brightness is quite a bit higher, however, if it's not sunny then the larger image of the iPad Mini is definitely nice to have. I prefer the balance of the controller with the iPhone for what it's worth, and find myself using that more often, even with the screen being smaller

Trying to decide whether or not I should use the iPad 4 mini with my Mavic. Anyone had anything but GOOD experiences with the iPad? Any reason we shouldn't use one?

Personally I think bigger is better for two reasons first if you're gone to be doing photos or videos the larger screen gives you that much better view into the world around you. Second if you want the brightest screen the iPadPro 9.7 has the brights display in the entire line up at 500 nits.

As fast as use the Cadillac for holders is the MavMount and it's built light weight but like a tank bing made out of aluminum. Anyway here's a review I did a few weeks back.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: iSiteAerial
I have one of the BIG iPads, and bigger is better, when it comes to seeing the screen. Isn't it ideal to be able to put it in the controller, though?

Ideal in the sense that you don't have to buy an after market holder for the larger tablet.

I like the MavMount setup for a number of reasons few things I like are the balanced weight and the comfort of holding onto the RC holders vs the iPad its self not to mention that the MavMount add a little bling :).

Question was about Mini. Yours is an iPad.

Hmmm......let's see. The OP specifically asked:
"iPad4 Mini or iPhone? Who prefers the iPad?"
and then I posted a picture of my current gear which consists of an iPad4 Mini. You lost me their Tonto? I do have full size iPads but mine pictured is a mini.

Hmmm......let's see. The OP specifically asked:
"iPad4 Mini or iPhone? Who prefers the iPad?"
and then I posted a picture of my current gear which consists of an iPad4 Mini. You lost me their Tonto? I do have full size iPads but mine pictured is a mini.

Do you know what "Tonto" means? If you did you wouldn't be tossing that word around.

Do you know what "Tonto" means? If you did you wouldn't be tossing that word around.

Sure do Chief.
Tonto is a fictional character, the either Potawatomi or Comanche companion of the Lone Ranger, a popular American Western character created by George W. Trendle and Fran Striker. Tonto has appeared in radio and television series and other presentations of the characters' adventures righting wrongs in 19th century western America.

Not sure if you are alluding to the fact that "Tonto" may offend you, but I myself am not only 1/4 Native American (Iroquois)....but I was also a Chief in the US Navy Submarine Force. It wasn't meant as derogatory......even though it may have been sometime in your 72 years of life.

Back to our regularly scheduled program.....

So, just so the OP isn't confused by your incorrect statement about my earlier post you made Bluseptuagenarian....that is really my iPad4 mini pictured. So today I added an angled lightning connector to connect the iPad4 mini to the controller. I'm very happy with the setup and now I am looking for a glare shield that will work for me.

Last edited:
Sure do Chief. ;-)
And tonto is fool in spanish, chief.

If the name fits.....lol.
Also, that would be "Chief".
It's okay Bluseptuagenarian, I'll make sure we get off your lawn. But next time please make sure you know what you are talking about before attempting to correct somebody. It makes you look petty and ignorant. Apology accepted. Now go try and wage a keyboard battle of the wits with someone else......I'm far from unarmed gramps.

Has anyone figured out how to make an ipad mini work - first gen or is it an impossible dream. I already have one of these!
It does not -
I have the original Ipad Mini, the 2 and the 4 - It does not work on the original (I tried everything) the app doesn't even load - and not worth "hacking" it to make it work. I would just use what it supports. Ipad 2 mini or above (not worth the risk). I purchased for the mini, the red MAVMOUNT, and a short phone cord style (coiled) Ipad cable to connect it - looks amazing!

It does not -
I have the original Ipad Mini, the 2 and the 4 - It does not work on the original (I tried everything) the app doesn't even load - and not worth "hacking" it to make it work. I would just use what it supports. Ipad 2 mini or above (not worth the risk). I purchased for the mini, the red MAVMOUNT, and a short phone cord style (coiled) Ipad cable to connect it - looks amazing!

Link to the "coiled" connector? Thanks in advance.

Sure do Chief.

So, just so the OP isn't confused by your incorrect statement about my earlier post you made Bluseptuagenarian....that is really my iPad4 mini pictured. So today I added an angled lightning connector to connect the iPad4 mini to the controller. I'm very happy with the setup and now I am looking for a glare shield that will work for me.

upload_2017-2-18_23-54-57.png
What is that around the edge of your MAVMOUNT? I don't have that - did you add that yourself to your mount? I have the red one (received about 1 month ago) and it doesn't have that cushioned section around that area. (I highlighted w arrows)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's okay Bluseptuagenarian, I'll make sure we get off your lawn. But next time please make sure you know what you are talking about before attempting to correct somebody. It makes you look petty and ignorant. Apology accepted. Now go try and wage a keyboard battle of the wits with someone else......I'm far from unarmed gramps.

Blow it out your ***, chief.

Reactions: DoingOK
What is that around the edge of your MAVMOUNT? I don't have that - did you add that yourself to your mount? I have the red one (received about 1 month ago) and it doesn't have that cushioned section around that area. (I highlighted w arrows)

I added that "foam pad" myself along with adding a drop of loctite to the bottom allen screw. I just didn't want the two anodized parts scraping against each other. Just a little bit ocd ;-) Thanks for the link to the coiled lightning cable....didn't know they made that part.

Resorting to age discrimination seems pretty petty and ignorant also, don't you think?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I went to mavmount.com and found a great one that will hold my iPad pro 12.9"
The larger pro has gotten a lot more positive feedback than the Pro 9 inch. Since I already have the behemoth one, I might as well use it!
Saw a youtube vid on this mavmount and they are high quality aluminum, made in the USA, so it won't take eons to receive it!

Reactions: SkeeterHarris
Resorting to age discrimination seems pretty petty and ignorant also, don't you think?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots
Absolutely! Sometimes you have to lower your own expectations and standards to communicate effectively when people have trite comments.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom