DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPhone disconnects - never had in this location before!

TroutboyNZ

Reactions
I ditched android (S7) and went to an iPhone 7, soley for the purposes of flying the Mavic as Android had a few disconnects for me, so yesterday, first flight of the day along the coast with the iPhone 7, I got around 6 disconnects in an area where I have NEVER had any before, phone was in airplane mode using the standard left-side lightning port. When I got home and reviewed the 2.7k flight, I did see a RC plance hooning below the Mavic, could this have caused the disconnects?

I presume looking at the notifications and what the screen said, they were video downlink disconnects, not RC disconnects, the screen went gray then black and said something like "disconnected - initiate RTH Yes / No"? On the first disconnect, I just pushed the RTH button on the controller and it did a perfect RTH, suggesting I still had an RC link? I could also get the app up again just by clicking the iPhone home button and then the Go4 app again - connection would pop right back up.

Here is the notification list of the "downlink data loss" I guess I need to find out if this is video only or total connection loss to the RC?

Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

So I then came in and swapped a battery and flew the same route again, with NO disconnects at all, nothing changed? There is not many houses in the area, I did see on the footage, the RC plane again about 20m below me, but no disconnects this time. I had clear air, hills to the left approx 100m in height but not in line of flight. It was windy, approx 20-22kmh winds at 75m. Here is that 2nd trouble free flight:

Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

I don't think the Mavic initiated any RTH on it's own once, again, suggesting they were video downlink issue, not RC issue? As then the Mavic would have initiated it's own RTH on total disconnect? I', running all the latest firmware and app. I tried a Apple standard lightning cable on the 3rd flight connected to the bottom USB and all fine again, like the 2nd flight.

Any insight appreciated as to the first flight issues, looking at the signal map tab, they were pretty major and sudden signal errors out of the blue? Andrew

Last edited:
I'm having the same issue. Constantly disconnecting for no reason. Sometimes I cannot get the connection back. This happened again today, and I flew it back manually.

Same here... random disconnects even in the same location... iPhone 7+ latest firmware And iOS.

Will try tmrw the flight mode as suggested in other threads.

First thing to suspect is the cable, especially if still using the one that came with the Mavic.

It is thin and fragile and very easy to damage when folding and unfolding the arms.

Try a new cable connected to the USB port at the base of the controller, but you must disconnect the side cable from the controller completely or it will not work.

Reactions: TroutboyNZ
Interesting, do you guys check the atmospheric weather, like Kp Index and the like? I've had situation where a very common place I fly I suddenly had issues where I didn't before. A friend flew at that same location a little later in the day and also had issues. He did he smart thing and checked the Kp Index and it was high. A few days later I went back, checked the Kp Index which was low and flew without any further issues...

Just saying it could be environmental factors out of your control...

Reactions: Michael Ainsworth
First thing I'd ask is what cable are you using. I've had a ton of trouble with cheap (by cheap I mean quality, not price!!) Amazon cables on both iOS and Android.

I've finally got cables that are fine and threw away all the ones that would disconnect randomly.

I don't think this has anything to do with flight mode.

It is possible there was interference. Would do some range testing next time I was at that location

But honestly it sounds like a cable issue, or that you need to test with a fresh dedicated device regardless of OS (if you aren't using one already)

Had the same issues but switching phone to airplane mode solved my issues. Seemed that bg processes pushing notifications were interrupting the app connection. OP was the phone definitely in airplane mode and did you kill all the running bg apps? Telltale sign for this being an app issue not interference is when it happens all my telemetry is down also despite the controller registering the info fine with full signal.

I started to have this issue with the stock cable. Since using the USB underneath I’ve had ZERO issues, all latest firmware.

Yes, on the first two flights was using the stock cable supplied via the left hand micro USB port, the second flight, same cable was fine and I then tried the stock Apple lightning cable I carry as a spare for the third flight, and again fine.

It does indicate a cable issue or interference. I guess what confuses me also is what sort of disconnect was it, as I was under the understanding if the phone disconnects from the controller, this will not give a RTH option, only if the controller disconnects from the drone? Can anyone confirm, I guess in the panic, you forget to look at things like this. Is "downlink data loss" loss of video transmission or loss of RC signal?

I had airplane mode off for the first few disconnects, but then also got a couple of disconnects not long after I enabled it, so not sure that was the issue. One thing I do notice after using the S7 vs the iPhone 7 is the complete buttery live feed, no lag what-so-ever compared to the S7, which I never really noticed, but was terrible in hindsight!

Didn't check the KP index, but I not issues with any of the flights in regards to GPS signal, you can see in the sensor info, the GPS count was fine at 15-18 throughout all flights. Cheers

Last edited:
After thinking about it, I see NO GOOD reason to have ANY phone radios on, so now I fly in Airplane Mode.

In addition, when mine crapped out both times I immediately hit the RTH on the controller and it started coming back.

Once I replugged the phone in and the app reconnected I manually flew and landed it back.

It has been mentioned a bunch from what I have read on here and I agree.

Everyone for safety and loss prevention should IMO set/test and be intimately familiar with RTH. It’s your last failsafe.

What is this KP index ? Can someone explains easily ? Not with a mathematic formula !! Thks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13