DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPhone Issue Help? Random Power Down

HelloNasty1

Reactions
My first flight (I'm a newb) about 385 up maybe 700 feet away and all going great. Heavy wind warning on controller. Then my phone 100% shuts down. I panic, but realize I will be okay. Bring Mavic closer and practice flying low in the field until battery wore down. Then power up iPhone 6S and showing 59% (started at 95%). Next flight on next Mavic battery again about 6-8 min into flight phone shuts off.
WTF. I know this is an iPhone issue as it has done this randomly before. But never back to back. Anyone else?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Yes.....although I don't have the Mavic yet...(I have one on order) this has happened several times to my iPhone 6 plus. This past Sunday I stopped by The Apple Store and they ran a diagnostic on my phone / battery. The tech said it was not the battery, but a software issue and I needed to reset the phone, after I saved everything to the iCloud. I haven't done that yet but plan to eventually. The tech was very informative about the procedure and guided me through the entire process.....although being 60 years old I'm still having trouble grasping the iCloud. It seemed like my phone went to zero once it got below 40%......and as you said, when I powered it back on it showed 38% but then died immediately until i gave it a full charge. My phone doesn't do this all the time, just once in a while.......although I would have to have it happen while flying!! I suggest taking it to The Apple Store.

Yeah. Just got off phone with Apple. Ran some test. Said go to store get a new one. I don't use iCloud, so always nerve racking on backing up device.

There is actually a recall on the iPhone 6s. Apple stays quiet about them though. If you poke around on the support site, you'll find it. Put in your serial number and it tells you if you are eligible. If so, go into any Apple store and they replace the battery free. You can send your phone in and have it done too, but who wants to be without their phone?

Yes.....although I don't have the Mavic yet...(I have one on order) this has happened several times to my iPhone 6 plus. This past Sunday I stopped by The Apple Store and they ran a diagnostic on my phone / battery. The tech said it was not the battery, but a software issue and I needed to reset the phone, after I saved everything to the iCloud. I haven't done that yet but plan to eventually. The tech was very informative about the procedure and guided me through the entire process.....although being 60 years old I'm still having trouble grasping the iCloud. It seemed like my phone went to zero once it got below 40%......and as you said, when I powered it back on it showed 38% but then died immediately until i gave it a full charge. My phone doesn't do this all the time, just once in a while.......although I would have to have it happen while flying!! I suggest taking it to The Apple Store.
This has happened to your 6+? or is it a 6S+?, my 6+ has never shut down unexpectedly, although I will say the Mavic sucks the battery down pretty fast, 20% per flight. Not sure if that is because the battery is over 2 years old or if there is a SW issue.

You guys try closing all apps before flying and turning off the video caching in the DJI go app? It stopped these symptoms for me..no more crashing and drastic battery drain.

Reactions: APEX^ZERO
Actually Apple has not been "quiet" about this.

You can go to this site and enter your serial number and see if your iPhone 6s is eligible for the program.
iPhone 6s Program for Unexpected Shutdown Issues - Apple Support

By "quiet" I mean that they didn't exactly notify all the 6s users now did they? Which, for crying out loud, the iPhone is a communication device which they could have EASILY sent a message to all 6s users and told them about it rather than making us suffer with the problem, wondering what's going on, finally getting frustrated enough to go do research and FIND that the program is available. They figure some will just buy their new iPhone 7. Others will just live with it. Either way, they get out of fixing a certain number of them.

So yes, they were "quiet" about it.

You guys try closing all apps before flying and turning off the video caching in the DJI go app? It stopped these symptoms for me..no more crashing and drastic battery drain.
How do you turn off the video caching?

The latest news is that Apple may have underestimated the issue and that it actually extends to the 6, 6Plus and 6sPlus as well, this is all over some of the tech sites. I guess with this it actually might not even be down to the battery as was first thought it might be a different issue with the phones.
I have a 6s which did this and did NOT fall in the serial number bracket. Whilst I was in the store there was a girl there with a 6Plus and it happened right in front of the technician as he was running diagnostics on it.

I had the same issue on my iPhone 6s, however mine shutdown a few times not related to litchi or flying and battery was sometimes draining ridiculously fast

Went into Apple Store and they replaced my phone (it was under 1 yr warranty still)even though it wasn't in the serial number range of "affected" devices. Haven't flown since though as the weather has dropped in temp.

Curious what's going on here because as noted I definitely experienced the issue more frequently/consistently with the litchi app running while flying.

I had the same issue on my iPhone 6s, however mine shutdown a few times not related to litchi or flying and battery was sometimes draining ridiculously fast

Went into Apple Store and they replaced my phone (it was under 1 yr warranty still)even though it wasn't in the serial number range of "affected" devices. Haven't flown since though as the weather has dropped in temp.

Curious what's going on here because as noted I definitely experienced the issue more frequently/consistently with the litchi app running while flying.

I was not using Litchi. Also, I agree with @chippie as my 6S does not fall into the supposed affected serial numbers. I think Apple has a larger problem than admitting.

My 6s is one that's affected and recognized by Apple.. has failed twice during flights and has scared the heck out of me! It will be going back to Apple in the morning

It wasn't just with DJI apps or flying but just randomly would shut off. Very annoying

My serial number did not make the list either.
I have a regular 6 and when it gets to 20% I have maybe 10 minutes of browsing left then black. This is without our fancy apps running.

So I agree, this goes farther than just the 6S or whatever.

Reactions: lifeismusic
My serial number did not make the list either.
I have a regular 6 and when it gets to 20% I have maybe 10 minutes of browsing left then black. This is without our fancy apps running.

So I agree, this goes farther than just the 6S or whatever.

If yours is the 6 then that is probably just normal battery ware.
However I still take it into a store and explain the issue, I am sure the memo will get round if not already. They have pretty much admitted the issue is not restricted to the 6s. Push to have the battery replaced. As it is a 6 it is probably not under warranty anymore but seeming as this may be a manufacturing issue they should still replace it.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan