DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is anyone else doing this??

I'm so glad I rediscovered this song! I stole it today... (this is the song from the group shred video I posted above)

I'm so glad I rediscovered this song! I stole it today... (this is the song from the group shred video I posted above)
Interesting tune - to say the least :)... Is that you piloting that racer? Nice flying - looks like a blast.

Interesting tune - to say the least :)... Is that you piloting that racer? Nice flying - looks like a blast.

Yea, I've built a handful of acrobatic platforms. This is some older footage so it's a little shaky (and a little fast) but these FPV drones do have a huge potential . I'm building a platform right now that's smaller than a spark, but will carry a GoPro7, and fly upside down. It should look a lot like my profile pic actually. The other awesome part is I build them to survive a crash, and I can fix them in a few hours or less if I have the parts. Most of the time all I need to do is replace the props (<$1 each)

Just another quick, "THANKS" for all of the very kind comments! I really am glad that folks are enjoying this method of using waypoint missions.

Last edited:
I'm giving this thread a little *bump*, as I am still very interested in finding out if anyone else is doing this style of video. I need some new ideas for my next go at it!

Insert some B roll, preferably shot in macro, or something with a strong depth of field. You want to plant an object, or hang something in a tree, something that will be effected by the seasonal change. You can do a season lapse (from a tripod) on something like that add these establishing shots to give your work more texture. Also try find a large tree or another singular fixed object to concentrate on. The tower is too far away to achieve the same effect. Doing smaller missions, but getting more angles and then cutting between those angles could also help add some interest.

I think you can even afford to be looser on your time scales. For example, if you had one tree that was close by and you could shoot it more often, you'd be able to capture more subtle changes over time. You could even start with a quick time lapse shot that gives us the feeling of time moving quickly, and primes us for what's to come

My other suggestion is to try some shots that are really slow moving. Just raising up 10' and turning 15 degrees for example. The slower your movement, the more surreal the whole thing feels when the seasons change.

Just in case you haven't seen it, this is my favorite hyperlapse, just for inspiration :)
[EDIT] This is not my video, just a favorite of mine

Last edited:
I've spent some time this year flying multiple Litchi missions at two different locations, to create a single shot that changes with the seasons. I just finished editing this one today...

I completed this one earlier this year. This one really turned out nice - if I may say so myself :)

If anyone else is doing this, please post your work. I'd love to see it!

Fabulous, brilliant and well done. I love how you blend the two videos together to make a smooth transition between seasons, and the videos seem to be perfect repetitions of prior flights.

Reactions: Qoncussion
... and the videos seem to be perfect repetitions of prior flights.
Truth be told ~ getting the footage from multiple flights to line up after the fact requires quite a bit of time in editing. Even though the flight parameters are the same, each flight is always just a bit off from the others. Glad you like it!

I've spent some time this year flying multiple Litchi missions at two different locations, to create a single shot that changes with the seasons. I just finished editing this one today...

I completed this one earlier this year. This one really turned out nice - if I may say so myself :)

Very cool and very well done. Thanks for sharing.

@Qoncussion I keep thinking about this! I read a blog on how to make basic animated masks for transitions, I really liked it. Since you already have the project lined up, you can save a new copy and play with the transitions a little if you wanted to. What are you editing in?

Here's the article :
Power Up Your Graphics With Animated Masks in After Effects

@Qoncussion I keep thinking about this! I read a blog on how to make basic animated masks for transitions, I really liked it. Since you already have the project lined up, you can save a new copy and play with the transitions a little if you wanted to. What are you editing in?

Here's the article :
Power Up Your Graphics With Animated Masks in After Effects
Thanks... I'll give the article a read in the coming days. I'm editing in Vegas Pro 16. The effect I want is to morph between shots. I'll see if AE can do that.

Reactions: RTKD
@Qoncussion
Thanks for posting that. What I like about yours is that because of the shallow depth of field, it looks like a 3d model. It's a really nice effect.

Secondly, your post led to some fascinating and amazing videos. Thanks for posting and starting an inspiring thread. It augmented my morning tea perfectly.... :)

These are great, maybe one day I’ll be half as good

To date, you are the only other person I've seen try to morph videos like that. It's tough! I find that no 2 flights are exactly the same. To fix this, because I'm shooting in 4K, I can digitally zoom each track about 10%, which gives me some wiggle room in post to better align the not-perfectly-aligned videos. Even then, "perfect alignment" is the Holy Grail.

I've applied your same principles to this construction video:

I call this "test video" because I haven't color corrected or anything like that. This was done in Sony Vegas Pro 13, which I'm dissatisfied with. I now edit in Adobe Premiere Pro (which I'm still learning), and am going to revisit this project.

This construction project completed about 2 months ago, so I have roughly 8 more shoots to add to the final video.

Like you, I have also sped up the video (4x). Unlike you, I have been using Autopilot. I like Autopilot, but it DOES have its issues. For one, if I'm not careful, it will overheat my iPad Air Pro. If it's hotter than 80° outside, I have to keep the iPad in a cooler with some ice until it's ready to fly. And then I have to make sure the iPad stays in the shade. It can be maddening, but I kind of have it down to a science.

Good job on your videos.

D

Insert some B roll, preferably shot in macro, or something with a strong depth of field. You want to plant an object, or hang something in a tree, something that will be effected by the seasonal change. You can do a season lapse (from a tripod) on something like that add these establishing shots to give your work more texture. Also try find a large tree or another singular fixed object to concentrate on. The tower is too far away to achieve the same effect. Doing smaller missions, but getting more angles and then cutting between those angles could also help add some interest.

I think you can even afford to be looser on your time scales. For example, if you had one tree that was close by and you could shoot it more often, you'd be able to capture more subtle changes over time. You could even start with a quick time lapse shot that gives us the feeling of time moving quickly, and primes us for what's to come

My other suggestion is to try some shots that are really slow moving. Just raising up 10' and turning 15 degrees for example. The slower your movement, the more surreal the whole thing feels when the seasons change.

Just in case you haven't seen it, this is my favorite hyperlapse, just for inspiration :)

This gives me some great ideas for my construction videos. Your work is impeccable. And I do NOT say that lightly. Good job. I'm a fan.

D

Reactions: RTKD
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrock