DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is Showing Your FAA # Smart

Is it any more public than something like a license plate on your car? I can see that too, but what can I do with it?

If you look at most news shows, when they show a license plate they almost always blur it out.

Showing or placing your FAA numbers in site is no different than a license plate on a car, its there for a reason (to identify you). It is also a matter of public record in some cases. If your afraid of showing you numbers then you should not be flying. If someone used them for illegal purposes then I am sure you could clear it up as you would have a alibi as to protect you. I have my First name and phone number on mine, no sense in hiding if your doing the right thing, if your that paranoid then stay grounded.

Reactions: Znightflyer
The registration number is tied to the drone serial number, just as your auto tag is tied to your VIN number. A stolen number used to commit a crime won’t be a major issue for the owner to clear up. A stolen drone should be reported to the FAA asap, same as if your auto is stolen. Of course there are was to confirm you weren’t flying a captured the drone.

The registration number is tied to the drone serial number, just as your auto tag is tied to your VIN number. A stolen number used to commit a crime won’t be a major issue for the owner to clear up. A stolen drone should be reported to the FAA asap, same as if your auto is stolen. Of course there are was to confirm you weren’t flying a captured the drone.
Unfortunately, the currently in force law allows all a recreational users drones to use the same number and only one is required to be registered with the FAA.

The FAA recreational registration number isn't tied to any drone or drone serial number.
It's only tied to a user.

The FAA recreational registration number isn't tied to any drone or drone serial number.

Exactly... for recreational/hobbyist fliers.

I can't wait for the mandatory aeronautical knowledge testing (yes, for hobbyists) to be implemented. I hope it is a difficult test that requires study.

Mark

The point of license plates isn't to stop drivers from breaking traffic laws; they're to make it easier to identify them when they do.

The point of drone registration isn't to stop drone pilots from flying recklessly; they're to make it easier to identify them when they do.

Yes, there are laws already covering what we should and shouldn't do with our drones. Now there's a way to make it easier for police to find those who break the laws. See how that works?[/QUOTE

To reiterate the criminal doesn't have any regard for the law. That's why the drug war is still ongoing. ADT is a multibillion dollar company for the same reason. So tell me how that works again??

I hate the regulation, but fear if we don’t comply more onerous regs will follow. As an aside... governments have never been known for their efficiency of operation, especially the beaurocracies.

I agree. My numbers are on my MA already. In fact they take up the whole length of the quad. I am just tired of the tail wagging the dog and everyone else has to jump through hoops.

Reactions: Thomas B
Kites will be next I guess

If people start doing really stupid and dangerous things with kites then, yes, there will eventually be regulations for them too.

Read back through the history of this forum (and others). There are people that don't give a flying turd about following common sense rules. THOSE are the people that cause new rules and regulations to be enacted. Your ire should be with the people that think the rules don't apply to them.

Mark

I think I will post mine on every forum I can !

That way when some Drone Jihad happens and it has my number on the bird I can just indicate to the FAA or other authority that since I was required by law to place my FAA Registration number on the outside of my Mavic and I love taking pictures of it and posting them well it would be easy for some unscrupulous person to use my number. Thats MY alibi !

There are always 4 sides to a coin.

The side that ended up. The side that ended up down. The side that is perceived to have ended up. The side that is perceived to have ended down.

Theres always this one id!@+.

The law states (not living in the US atm so im not really familiar with it or i just dont give a rats ***) you should put you license number on the bird. It didnt say post pics of it everywhere. If thats your excuse and logic, wow, my 5 yr old nephew has more sense than you.

Anyways, im just glad Australia doesnt have too much laws (yet) when it comes to flying.

Last edited:
Theres always this one id!@+.

The law states (not living in the US atm so im not really familiar with it or i just dont give a rats ***) you should put you license number on the bird. It didnt say post pics of it everywhere. If thats your excuse and logic, wow, my 5 yr old nephew has more sense than you.

Well, I live in the US and I am familiar with current UAS law here. Putting the FAA registration number on your drone is NOT a "should". It is MANDATORY. It has been mandatory for some time now. What changed recently is that the FAA registration number must be VISIBLE on an exterior surface of the drone. You can't hide it in the battery compartment anymore.

Mandatory!

Mark

Reactions: Thomas B
Unfortunately, the currently in force law allows all a recreational users drones to use the same number and only one is required to be registered with the FAA.
Don’t see an issue.
Simplifies things, not typical of the FAA.
One assumes the owner/operator will be only operating one drone at a time.

Well I thought I had to record the serial number when I registered my drone. What are you saying that you can register a drone without a drone in possession?

Well, I live in the US and I am familiar with current UAS law here. Putting the FAA registration number on your drone is NOT a "should". It is MANDATORY. It has been mandatory for some time now. What changed recently is that the FAA registration number must be VISIBLE on an exterior surface of the drone. You can't hide it in the battery compartment anymore.

Mandatory!

Mark

Of course all of that isn’t the topic of this thread, which is whether photos of your registration number should be posted in public Internet forums, not merely displayed on your drone as required.

Well I thought I had to record the serial number when I registered my drone. What are you saying that you can register a drone without a drone in possession?
If you register for recreational flying, the FAA has no idea how many/what drones you have.
The drones aren't registered, you are.

I had to register the serial number of my drone, do you not have to do that also in the USA?
even if you put the same FAA number on different drones, did you not have to register each drone along with their serial number, whereas the serial number is linked back to you?
If you're flying as a hobbyist you do not register your serial number of the Drone. If you fly under part 107 you will have to register the crown with the serial number. That is here in the US.

Potentially you do under 366. Under 366 it’s the owner who is registered and the number applies to every drone they ever have under current law.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom