DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is the Mavic 2 Pro inferior to the Mavic Pro in some respects? Same with the DJI RE Goggles over the regular ones?

Do you like your Mavic 2 over the Mavic?

• Yes, it's way better.

Votes: 29 69.0%
  • Yes, it's a little better.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Neutral.

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Kinda wish I would have just kept my old Mavic.

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters

Edslittleworld

Reactions
I've had a few flights with my new M2P after selling my old MP. Although the range, flight time and signal strength are somewhat better...that's about all I find better with the M2P. I hope I'm wrong or just getting used to it, but these are my gripes with the M2P:

1) Downloaded video not nearly as choppy on the MP. I'm used to shooting in SPORT mode while moving.
2) Hard to see battery lights in sunlight.
3) Cannot fly with the protective camera bubble.
4) Jerky flight controls with choppy HD live feed.
5) Camera defaults to forward mode on landing rather than allowing downward view for precise manual landing, although can be overridden.
6) Descent seems much slower in any mode.
7) Cannot momentarily override the RTH function once executed unless it's fully cancelled.
8) Bigger and heavier to carry.

Also, I upgrade from the basic DJI Goggles to the Racing Edition and I seen only drawbacks. They include:

1) Need for the external antenna.
2) Range with the supplied "pagoda" antenna less than the basic model without. Maybe, the cylinder one is better.
3) 50% more expensive to purchase.
4) Jerky video feed and head tracking.
5) Shorter battery life.

I have to admit that I'm a bit disappointed after being a long time MP flyer. Anyone else experience the same?

I bought the Mavic 2 Pro for the 1in sensor as the 1/2.3in sensor was the main downside to the original Mavic, I'm more a stills person and the small sensor meant there was really not much you could do to work with the photos. Although the 1in sensor in the Mavic 2 Pro isn't quite as good as I expected, it's still a massive improvement over the original and on its own worth the upgrade for me. The photo on the left is the straight out of camera shot, the one on the right is with the highlights and shadows recovered:

MP2_Compared-L.png

However I've been impressed with the many small upgrades on the Mavic 2, the longer runtime is definitely useful, I like having a switch to go into tripod, the one piece gimbal cover is a neater solution, it has better avoidance sensors (not tested yet though and not planning to but you never know), the landing light is very helpful at night and the 8GB onboard memory can be a lifesaver if you've left your memory card in your PC.

The major complaint that most people have about the Mavic 2 is that after they buy it, they have to figure out a way to explain the purchase to their wives.

On the plus side at least it looks the same as the original Mavic so if you hide the box they shouldn't ever know ;) I'm also grateful to camera manufacturers for making the DSLRs all look the same as well.

I haven’t upgraded...yet. I would like to. These are good points that I haven’t seen on YouTube. My main reason for an upgrade would be the camera. I like the avoidance tech of Mavic 2. I also like the new smart controller which I hear has different travel distance on the controls which allow for smoother operation.

Sound like the OP Is having buyer remorse.?

I'm Buying if your selling......cR
Do i need it ?.... No.!
Do i want it ? ....Yes.!
I have not upgraded as of yet and from what I've read the large sensor would give me More options...
Because I like to fly at Dusk when the Natrual light is low.
I take pictures.................... and Like what I have seen with the MP2

my MP1 most of the time I have to compasate for the washout picture quality
I can take better pictures with my 20mgp cell phone.!

My MP1 is getting long in the tooth Born date 02-17 ( with only 24hrs of flight time)
....... and feel im just one more forced Firmware Update away from owning a brick
(V01-04-0500)....
{no more downgrades im stuck} and the latest feel like takes alot more Power = shorter flight time

.............................. and when that happens...
I know a guy who can prolly Replace the Motherboard quick and cheep so I can keep it flying
....cR

After almost 2 months, almost 24 hours and 130 some odd flights, I can’t think of any product I ever bought that delivers like this and is as fun as my Mavic 2 Pro. Maybe my Specialized S-Works Tarmac, but that was way more expensive.

I bought the thing to take awesome fishing videos but I basically have a whole new hobby.

I’m in the same boat as the OP...except that I still have my MP.
Still trying to convince myself that it was worth the extra $$ before selling my MP and go through the whole process of buying extras like batteries, case, etc. It feels like I just collected all the accessories I need for my MP, now I have to start all over

I’m in the same boat as the OP...except that I still have my MP.
Still trying to convince myself that it was worth the extra $$ before selling my MP and go through the whole process of buying extras like batteries, case, etc. It feels like I just collected all the accessories I need for my MP, now I have to start all over

So true I read your post and understand what your saying
I will be keeping my MP1
When I upgrade it will be a back up scout in situations that might be iffy will rick the MP1 before I try it with the MP2
cR

After almost 2 months, almost 24 hours and 130 some odd flights, I can’t think of any product I ever bought that delivers like this and is as fun as my Mavic 2 Pro. Maybe my Specialized S-Works Tarmac, but that was way more expensive.

I bought the thing to take awesome fishing videos but I basically have a whole new hobby.

I hear you on the Tarmac. My BMW R1200GS, Canyon Endurace, Santa Cruz Blur(s) and new Jeep Wrangler are my benchmarks of "fun". :)

I've had a few flights with my new M2P after selling my old MP. Although the range, flight time and signal strength are somewhat better...that's about all I find better with the M2P. I hope I'm wrong or just getting used to it, but these are my gripes with the M2P:

1) Downloaded video not nearly as choppy on the MP. I'm used to shooting in SPORT mode while moving.
5) Camera defaults to forward mode on landing rather than allowing downward view for precise manual landing, although can be overridden.
7) Cannot momentarily override the RTH function once executed unless it's fully cancelled.

Also, I upgrade from the basic DJI Goggles to the Racing Edition and I seen only drawbacks. They include:

2) Range with the supplied "pagoda" antenna less than the basic model without. Maybe, the cylinder one is better.
5) Shorter battery life.

I have to admit that I'm a bit disappointed after being a long time MP flyer. Anyone else experience the same?
I was told by DJI that you do not need the Pagoda antenna if your not racing drones. I made the mistake and also bought the cylindrical antenna. It will not work on the RE goggles. Chuck.

Reactions: mereflyer and mnis
I was told by DJI that you do not need the Pagoda antenna if your not racing drones. I made the mistake and also bought the cylindrical antenna. It will not work on the RE goggles. Chuck.

REALLY?? I just ordered one...lol!

Reactions: WAXMAN
So true I read your post and understand what your saying
I will be keeping my MP1
When I upgrade it will be a back up scout in situations that might be iffy will rick the MP1 before I try it with the MP2
cR
That has been my logic with my DSLR’s. I hope I do t don’t let this drone hobby drain my pocketbook like ground photography has and still is.

I've been toying what to do with my original Mavic Pro as well, initially I was thinking I'd use it for slightly riskier flights such as tracking my mountain bike but then the Mavic 2 seems better suited to that with its all round sensors. I've been filming trains going across a scenic viaduct but it's so quick I can only take photos or videos so I'm planning on trying with both drones, flying one up and parking it to take a video then using the MP2 to take photos.

I'm also concerned that I could sell it, the buyer crash it and then blame me for supplying a faulty drone but I perhaps overthink these things.

I was also into DSLR (Canon AE1)
Back when film was the only option .....With the camera phone a rearly carry my camera
But on vacation
And like our drone hobbies we jump in because of the injoyment
Of trying to capture the magic

I think there a Photo quote that goes something like "you shoot a thousand picture a year only one or two are good picture then you taken two photos a year"
Last year on vacation I took over 1800 pictures(both camera/and phone) (4days) I maybe have 4 picture I view on a regular basis.
Never thought about post editing till I signed in here Mavicpilots
I still think my two year old Mavic has a couple of good shots in it.
I'm keeping it
But my chances of "capturing the magic" will increase when I upgrade
.....cR

I've also had my M1P for almost two years now :)

Not the filming and the photography were the reason of the purchase, but I wanted a reliable and easy-to-use hobby aircraft.

Has the M1P ever really disappointed me?

I want to say today: 100% NO!

Although I prefer the flight experience, I record every flight in Full HD with the on-board camera, and sometimes I use that footage to take a few single pictures for an old thermal photo printer, that's all.

Since I basically fly in fine weather, the smaller camera sensor does not bother me, much more I have problems with too much light and do not always know what filter to use.

The slightly longer flight time of the M2P would be only appealing to me, but hey, I'll take an extra battery and everything is fine for me so far.

I do not need the Sport mode, the extra obstacle sensors, the LED landing light and the higher total weight. In particular, I think the obstacle sensors and most advanced flight modes I've never needed.

So what could make me want to have the M2P?

5) Shorter battery life.

1. Never has been a problem for my Mavic 2 Pro
2. can't say I have noticed.
3. Should not really be doing that anyway, it is there to protect it while in transit, not during flight. You are not getting as good an image shooting through cheap molded plastic plus you are blocking air that goes through the vents inside that bubble. Bad habit to be doing.
4. I've not experienced that problem
8. What??? By a few grams and cm only, not like that is a huge deal really.

Last edited:
Since I basically fly in fine weather, the smaller camera sensor does not bother me, much more I have problems with too much light and do not always know what filter to use.

So what could make me want to have the M2P?

The larger 1in sensor isn't just better for low light, it also has much better dynamic range so it means you can recover a reasonable amount of detail in the highlights and shadows where you can't really recover any at all with the Mavic 1. It's the main reason I bought the Mavic 2 pro to upgrade from the Mavic 1 as it's quite normal when shooting during the day to have a sky too bright as you've mentioned and the ground too dark, the Mavic 2 Pro can deal with that much better.

I'm not saying you need to go out and buy one right now but at the same time saying it won't benefit your type of shots isn't correct either.

OK. Thanks for your responses. If I do return my M2P, it will be because of compatibility issues with the DJI RE Goggles. I'm having the same issues as others with range reduction and losing simple command functions.

Has anyone tried using DJI goggles with their new Mavic 2's?

Reactions: mereflyer and mnis
The larger 1in sensor isn't just better for low light, it also has much better dynamic range so it means you can recover a reasonable amount of detail in the highlights and shadows where you can't really recover any at all with the Mavic 1. It's the main reason I bought the Mavic 2 pro to upgrade from the Mavic 1 as it's quite normal when shooting during the day to have a sky too bright as you've mentioned and the ground too dark, the Mavic 2 Pro can deal with that much better.

I'm not saying you need to go out and buy one right now but at the same time saying it won't benefit your type of shots isn't correct either.
Oh, I understand and appreciate what you are trying to explain to me. I follow the development with great curiosity and interest. I keep thinking about when it's time to look for a new drone.

But ... As I already mentioned, my main concern is the experience of flying. The videos are in second place, so to speak, just to be able to store some material to remember past flights. I take very few photos while flying. Rather, I take some pictures on the ground to capture interesting locations.

If you love video or photography, or use it professionally, you will certainly appreciate the larger image sensor of the M2P.

For my lower purposes, the sensor of the M1P is apparently sufficient, and the sensor of the M2P something like: "shoot with a big cannon on little sparrows". This is an often used idiom here in Germany :)

In short:
At the moment I do not need more than the M1P. But if my Mavic finally says goodbye, does not work, then I would certainly like to take a Drone from DJI again...

Mavic 3 or 4 might be interesting :)

OK. Thanks for your responses. If I do return my M2P, it will be because of compatibility issues with the DJI RE Goggles. I'm having the same issues as others with range reduction and losing simple command functions.

Has anyone tried using DJI goggles with their new Mavic 2's?
I have neither the DJI Googles, nor the M2P. But I think the Googles use OccuSync1 for transmission, and the OccuSync of the M2P is not compatible with older versions of OccuSync. So it is synonymous with the SmartController of the M2P, it does not work with the M1P unfortunately ...

... or am I wrong?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sikiruikhun