DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is the Mavic 2 Pro inferior to the Mavic Pro in some respects? Same with the DJI RE Goggles over the regular ones?

Do you like your Mavic 2 over the Mavic?

• Yes, it's way better.

Votes: 29 69.0%
  • Yes, it's a little better.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Neutral.

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Kinda wish I would have just kept my old Mavic.

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
Hello fellow Mavic pilots...thanks for your time, patience and input!

I've finally decided the Mavic 2 Pro is NOT inferior to the Mavic Pro (Platinum). I took both out to this mountain valley and the wind was around 20 mph. The vid was rock stable with the M2P, but was very sketchy with the MP(P) even with the bubble installed...both running into a 20 mph headwind. Plus, the M2P made it past 16,000' into the headwind before it dropped to 60% battery life while the MP(P) only made it out to 11,000'.

I also evaluated both the DJI Goggles and DJI Goggles Race Edition. Both had the same range at first...getting sketch at around 12,000' out. However, but the R/E's add-on Pagoda antenna kicks the range up to past 16,000'. The only thing I dislike about the R/E Goggles is that it "hijacks" some of the drone controller features to mimic the right hand side swipe feature of the goggles. Grrr!

Otherwise, my conclusion is NO...the M2P is not inferior to the MP℗ and the R/E Goggles are not inferior to the regular Goggles. Are both worth the extra 50% premium? DEFINITELY! Thanks, all! :)

I just received my M2P but haven't had the chance to fly yet. From what I've been reading on the DJI forums is that it actually renders LESS resolution than the MP1. This is because to reduce heat, DJI choose to use every other line on the sensor. This effectively renders less resolution (less pixels) than the 1/2.3 sensor on the MP1.

There are also numerous complaints about soft corners and centers in photos. This is apparently caused by an error in the manufacturing process where the lens isn't properly centered. People have returned 3-4 aircraft before getting a 'good' one.

Lots of info about all this on the DJI forums.

From what I've been reading on the DJI forums is that it actually renders LESS resolution than the MP1.

TheRoach: I don't know what you've been reading but the statement above, in my opinion of course, couldn't be further from the truth. This topic has been beat to death in multiple, multiple threads and I will be more than a little surprised if you still believe this statement after gaining some experience with your M2P. IMHO (and that of many others,) the difference is night and day and there is no comparison in image quality. The M2P is head and shoulders above the M1.

I'm sticking with the MP1 for the foreseeable future.

While the 1" sensor is significantly larger than the 1/2.3, it's still a small sensor. To me, it's not worth the additional 1.5K

Also, the MP2 batteries cost more than 1.5 times that of the MP1 batteries, and while they may come down in price some, batteries are the gift that just keep giving... to DJI. I have no gripe with DJI, but $149; seriously?

The MP1 can be had for $500 now. So, I can relax and take more chances with maneuvers than I would if it cost $1K, or $1.5K to replace, and there are no more firmware upgrades...yeah!

I fly locally 95% of the time. We don't have spectacular scenery, nice, but not spectacular; certainly not the type of scenery that warrants an upgrade. I've seen many videos on this forum of locations that definitely justify the upgrade; possibly to even greater capability, but not this locality. It's cool, I like where I'm at.

Truth be told, after two years of flying a drone, I'm still learning the strengths and opportunities of this camera. Just yesterday I finally decided on the resolution, frame rate, white balance, and color profile that I'm sticking with, at least until Monday.

I won't upgrade until the MP2 can be purchased used for $750, and by then the MP3 will be available for $2K

TheRoach: I don't know what you've been reading but the statement above, in my opinion of course, couldn't be further from the truth. This topic has been beat to death in multiple, multiple threads and I will be more than a little surprised if you still believe this statement after gaining some experience with your M2P. IMHO (and that of many others,) the difference is night and day and there is no comparison in image quality. The M2P is head and shoulders above the M1.
I've read that while the bird contains a 1 inch sensor, it only uses every other line in order to control heat. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice. I plan to put the my P4, P4P+, MP and M2P in the air simultaneously while taking pics with the same subject/settings on each bird. I believe the M2P will produce better pics than the MP but I don't expect them to be on par with my P4P+ which is what I'm expecting out of a one inch sensor. I'll post the results for comparison.

Interesting discussion with great points made. After having to use DJICare following a leafless treee branch encounter where I backed in to it, hung and the fell 50’ to the ground I started looking. I just purchased an M2P with the Hasselbad camera when I found one in a new sealed box. I wanted the camera and the extra sensors primarily. However, I currently have no intention of selling either my MPP or Spark, as they have great capabilities, but I couldn’t pass up the deal on the NIB unactivated M2P. Regarding the Spark, I have a belt clip holster and it goes with me even when flight is not necessarily planned. Don’t know what the future holds... Time will tell, awaiting delivery.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whathesaid