DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is this guy for real ?

Desert-Flyer

Reactions
The things you find on Youtube. I watched this video of a guy who was asked by H.O.A. security to not fly his drone in a residential area. The guy just seems to think he can fly anywhere he wants.

Check it out and tell me what you think. Forgive me if this has been posted before. I did search but didnt find anything .

It's folks like this that ***** us all with such an attitude. He's wrong about so many facts...

Just because he lives there doesn't mean he can do as he pleases.
The guy gets a direct order from an officer not to do what he's doing and he insists on disobeying.
That's why sooner or later we will only could fly indoors.

Reactions: Mike_in_Letcombe
The things you find on Youtube. I watched this video of a guy who was asked by H.O.A. security to not fly his drone in a residential area. The guy just seems to think he can fly anywhere he wants.

Check it out and tell me what you think. Forgive me if this has been posted before. I did search but didnt find anything .

To bad it didn't fall in the drink!! No respect at all. It's a real shame some Droner's can act like that.

Reactions: Landmix
1. lake las vegas is over 16 miles away from McCarren, in the middle of NOWHERE.

2. the guy was not an officer but a security guard for the HOA.

3. Usually i agree with these guys ruining it for everyone, but im going to play devils advocate here. I live in an HOA and routinely fly in my community's large open space park. Hes doing nothing wrong, "it might fall out of the sky!" a 3k Inspire, does not "fall out of the sky." "uhhh..its a security risk", why because at 400 feet up its going to spy on someone? If there is a CCR that specifically says "no drones" fine, he should stop. If there is not, then there is absolutely zero reason he should stop simply because some rent a cop decided to come over and tell him to stop for no reason other than he felt like it. He is correct, if hes a licensed pilot, let the guy call the cop. as an HOA member, and dues paying, you have a right to use the shared property as you see fit as long as you abide by the CCR.

See where he lives, he's a rich punk, he'd just buy a new one.

apparently you dont know lake las vegas... LOL , it is the poster child of the economic and housing crash of Las Vegas.

1. lake las vegas is over 16 miles away from McCarren, in the middle of NOWHERE.

2. the guy was not an officer but a security guard for the HOA.

3. Usually i agree with these guys ruining it for everyone, but im going to play devils advocate here. I live in an HOA and routinely fly in my community's large open space park. Hes doing nothing wrong, "it might fall out of the sky!" a 3k Inspire, does not "fall out of the sky." "uhhh..its a security risk", why because at 400 feet up its going to spy on someone? If there is a CCR that specifically says "no drones" fine, he should stop. If there is not, then there is absolutely zero reason he should stop simply because some rent a cop decided to come over and tell him to stop for no reason other than he felt like it. He is correct, if hes a licensed pilot, let the guy call the cop. as an HOA member, and dues paying, you have a right to use the shared property as you see fit as long as you abide by the CCR.

Agree 100%!! We have kids driving quads and dirt bikes around our sub division (it is Oklahoma!). Can't believe the hissing matches that causes, but does not stop anyone from doing it, regardless of who asks or the obvious justification for not doing it. Flying a quad much less risk.

Reactions: Gary cato
500m up (he was shooting for a mile!) that and the fact he publicly pointed out Celine Dion's house....that to me is a privacy issue....

Reactions: Ebruce
500m up (he was shooting for a mile!) that and the fact he publicly pointed out Celine Dion's house....that to me is a privacy issue....

I live in So Cali, If i drove to LA and then to Taylor Swifts house and stood at her driveway, am i invading her privacy? What about if i was in a window seat landing into LAX and flew over hollywood on approach and took a picture of her house from the sky, am I then?

we dont know how high he really was. He could be exaggerating. Or he could be right, but an infraction of the height requirement (some pilots over on phantoms dont believe 400ft is an actual rule more a guideline (queue the pirate) to the hobby pilot). But regardless, thats not for the security guard to determine is correct or not, you can exceed the height anywhere.

I agree with the rest of your post... but he states that he's over a mile high... that's quite clearly an infraction.
Precisely - No danger there? Should beat this kid with a club before he brings down and airplane over the neighborhood.!

Precisely - No danger there? Should beat this kid with a club before he brings down and airplane over the neighborhood.!
I think it's fair to say just from the video he exceeds the flight Cap.

Reactions: jeffrey
I think it's fair to say just from the video he exceeds the flight Cap.
People are nuts to be posting stuff like this. If the FAA decides to start combing youtube and handing out fines, this would make it too easy. It would be like me posting a video of driving 120mph on a local highway.

Reactions: Ebruce
The controller mentions he is at maximum height (which is set at 500m)
Agreed, but still way and beyond flight cap.

New drone laws, regulations go into effect Thursday
By: Patrick Walker

LAS VEGAS - Nevada is becoming a hot bed for unmanned aerial vehicles, so state lawmakers are trying to get out in front of the regulation.

Earlier in 2015 Nevada Lawmakers passed dozens of new laws regulating commercial and recreational drones, and those laws will go into effect on Thursday.

"I thought the state law did very well, in working on the privacy issues, to make sure that individual privacy is maintained," said Ron Futrell, Avisight.

Assembly Bill 239 makes it a misdemeanor to fly less than 250 feet over a property and to do trick flying over people. Drones must also operate below 500 feet and within the operator's line of sight.

However, drones aren't allowed to operate within 500 feet of critical facilities, meaning government buildings or power plants or within five miles of an airport. The FAA was supposed to put new regulations in place on Oct. 1, but that deadline has been pushed back.

A former FAA executive who was in charge of drone regulations told 8 News Now those rules are still a work in progress.

"The FAA is really throwing resources at it because they get, that this is the new big thing," said Jim Williams, former FAA executive.

There's also a provision in the law that makes it illegal to operate a drone while under the influence. Violators can be charged with a gross misdemeanor.

The new drone rules come during a time when drone sales are expected to grow.

"They anticipate there could be a million drones sold in this country over the holiday season, and that's going to fill up the skies," Futrell said.

In a statement hobbyists in Las Vegas say they support the new law But believe many of its other provisions, including prohibitions on arming drones with firearms, aren't applicable to them. They say they hope to see regulations that allow areas specifically set aside for recreational flying.

the original OP post was about someone telling him to stop flying his drone for an arbitrary and unnecessary reason. Not about the height.

But since we have moved onto height, to those who dont know, go look up lake las vegas on google maps. Its about 10 miles from the city of las vegas, 16 miles from McCarren, and about 8 miles from Nellis, its not like its within the metro area, or even close. To be honest, its probably one of the safest places to fly at that altitude, since its essentially in the middle of the desert. Its not like he was flying it over the strip.

I call BS on his stated height, the controller states, maximum height reached, we dont know what he had it set to, maybe it was default, which i think is 90 or 150 or something meters. I am a commercial pilot, i know 1500 feet, and his view of the buildings is NOT of 1500 feet the buildings around lake las vegas are no taller than that that 4 or 5 story building at the middle bottom of the picture. look at this picture of downtown seattle from the space needle, and its only 500 ft tall.

IMG_0405-Space-Needle-View.jpg

llv.jpg

Ok, Let me clarify why I posted this video.

1. According to him he was over 1500 feet up. And he was going to take it up even farther.
400 feet is the max altitude listed in the FAA Guideline

2. No one owns the air.
Correct but it is governed by the FAA.

3. It should be right there in front of us.
Aircraft should always be within line of sight as per the agreement you made with FAA at the time of registration.

This is what made me post this video. Everyone is open to their opinions and I don't want to step on their toes.
But if this guy wants to go "Live" and start spouting off things to just make himself look cool, then I have an issue with that.

Sorry if anything I have written upsets anyone, that's not my intent. I just wanted to bring this sort of activity to peoples attention.

Reactions: frankiez and Ebruce
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78