DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is this in the image REALLY a bird or does my cam have issues ?

crucx

Reactions
A very weird question. So i went outside and did the first fly ever with my mavic air and made a recording. Now i dragged the video on my pc and already on the first seconds i realized a black spot. I started replaying it from there again but this time i used a function called "frame by frame" in vlc player.

After i got the right frame, that black bar (at the top left in the picture) looks now more like a bird (i know this sounds so dumb but i am not really sure). When i saw it, i was rly sure that this was a bird then. So i started skipping another frame and there the "bird" was gone.
So if this was really a bird, how could it disappear in ONE frame ? the bird should be a a bit more to the right of the screen / video from the left in the next frame but there is nothing, and that is why i can't believe that this is a bird.

vlcsnap-2019-08-29-13h32m40s467.png

Ps. I realized that the movie (recorded in mp4. Is mp4 good for cinematic captures ?) is laggy on vlc player. Tried it on mpc-h and there it was absolutely fine. Can someone explain me why and also recommend me the best player that i can have for 4k movies / clips ? i have tried many 4k clips on vlc player and they all are super laggy. The videos freeze for 5 seconds and after 5 seconds i can watch the videos for maybe 1 second and then it freezes for another 5 seconds and so on.

But the clips captured with the mavic air, are still better. The screen doesn't freezes at all :). It is just a bit slow. Looks like 20 fps or even less in vlc player (yes i have captured in 4k 30fps btw) but on the mpc player its absolutely smooth. No issues.

My pc specs:
Win10 64bit
Gtx 980
I7 3770
16GB ram

Even on youtube 4K is hell laggy. But i know my pc is fine ! it must be the video player.

Last edited:
Well, them UFOs are known for being fast! Seriously, to me the coloring appears to be that of a bird while the shape, to me, kind of looks like an RC plane. Whatever it is the motion blur indicates it is moving fast. Depending of the shutter speed and frame rate on your camera it may be able to vanish in one frame.

Alright, i feel so dumb then. I was highly sure that if it should be a bird, that i should be able to see the bird still in the next frames till it moves out of the screen.

Funny actually. I captured a bird shot, nice achievment :D.
My last question is if MP4 is fine and also what to do about the laggs as i said above :). If anyone has tips for me, feel free.

Again, it depends on your camera's settings and how fast the bird was moving. Looks too solid to be just an aberration.

Are you trying to watch off of the SD card or is the file transferred to your PC? Everything is slow off an SD card. 4k files a big lumbering beasts. I build a PC specifically for editing 4k. Needs a powerful video card or two, lots of RAM, and a fast processor. Lots of drive space goes without mentioning.

Depending on your system there are some things you can do to tame the beast some. Both Black Magic's DiVinci Resolve and Premier Pro have features that will give lower resolution "copies" to use when editing that allow scrubbing through the video a lot easier. Any edits are applied to the original resolution.

As for the best file type to record in I am a little fuzzy on the differences other than compression of the file size. I tend to shoot in D-Log color space using MOV format. MP4 using more compression which is why it is suppose to play smoother video right out of the camera. It is kind of like the JPG vs RAW debate as to what to shoot in. I'm not a big fan of compression until I have everything sorted out and ready to export.

Hope this helps, at least a little.

After i got the right frame, that black bar (at the top left in the picture) looks now more like a bird (i know this sounds so dumb but i am not really sure). When i saw it, i was rly sure that this was a bird then. So i started skipping another frame and there the "bird" was gone.
So if this was really a bird, how could it disappear in ONE frame ? the bird should be a a bit more to the right of the screen / video from the left in the next frame but there is nothing, and that is why i can't believe that this is a bird.
Your description isn't clear about how long the object is visible for.
It would be good to post a link to the video.
A bird is not the only object it could be.
It might be something much smaller and closer to the lens, something like a wasp or moth?
Is the blur, motion blur or out of focus because it's close to the lens?

Even on youtube 4K is hell laggy. But i know my pc is fine ! it must be the video player.
It's almost always the computer.
VLC can handle 4K video easily .. if the computer is up to it.
Are you playing from the HD?
And MP4 or MOV makes no difference.

Sorry if i was unclear. I was just asking in general about the settings and the laggs. It had nothing to do to what i saw and the bird topic is done already since i know now its a bird :).

I was just asking in general what you guys use to play your 4K videos.
I have a mate who has a gtx 980 and 16gb ram like me, and he can smoothly play 4K on all video players. What is wrong with my pc ? i just build it this year, its still new. As i said, on mpc it's fine. Maybe i need to set up vlc ? never changed any settings on vlc honestly cuz i have no clue.

And yes, i always play my videos on my HDD (i have also a small SSD and can give it a try) and not from a SD card. I know how slow sd cards are. But my mate is watching 4K videos without problems and my i7 3770 CPU should be MORE than fine. I saw people with way more older GPUS and they can play 4k smooth.

I also searched a lot about this issue for months, and i saw a lot of topics where people had the same experience like me. My uncle has a GTX 1080 TI with I7 7700k if i remember right, and he cant play 4K YT videos as well. What is wrong ?
I dont care YT honestly. I think it is video player based as i read on many other topics now. MPC works perfect for example. On all 4K movies

We have both highspeed conection (100k) ^^. He cant even download and then watch 4k videos, i told him once to try it and then watch over VLC but same result. If i check in VLC player for dropped / lost frames, it shows 0 when there is a lot actually lost..
I also just realized that mpc isn't perfect. After a while you realize some laggs there too. Sometimes the video laggs straight within the first seconds, and when i replay, the laggs are gone from the first seconds but then there are laggs on some other times where i had no laggs before. Weird. So the laggs appear at random times during the videos.

Maybe it is because i have a 1080P 3D TV from samsung ? my uncle has also a Full HD TV like me.
Also i just downscaled the video to 1080P with Adobe after effects and now its 100% smooth on both, vlc and mpc player. I can keep replay the video. Its super smooth finally.

Either system or 4K isn't ready atm for computers as i read in other forums. Everyone has a different mind about it sadly :c

Looks like a bee or some other bug inside the focus. When the props start spinning or at touchdown lots of bugs vacate the area. This past summer we've had lots of rain followed by lots sunshine perfect for breeding lots of bugs. Caught the bee about 20 up feet taking off and the dragonfly at landing

Attachments

• dragonfly.jpg
    dragonfly.jpg
    705.4 KB · Views: 52
  • bee.jpg
    bee.jpg
    643.4 KB · Views: 52
Reactions: crucx
Definitely not a model airplane. No rudder visible. Could be an out of focus bug/bird. Look carefully at the next frame (again) and see if you can see any change in the background sky through the tree.

Regarding the jumpy video, have you tried to upload to a site like Vimeo? Maybe they can handle it better than your pc?

Looks like a long dark body and lighter coloured wings, I would guess it to be some sort of insect. Being smaller, so closer to the lens, that might explain the reason it was only in one frame. A bird would be further away to be that size but then slower to pass through the area exposed and might be in several frames. With lighter looking (thin) wings I would say this was an insect rather than a bird.

Reactions: InvisibleName
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM