DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

**** it!!

Scorpion99

Reactions
Well, I have only about 10 hours on my was still pristine Mavic Pro until today. I was playing around with the new fixed wing mode. I got some awesome shots behind my parents property. There is a beaver **** and some big ponds to fly over.

I used one battery up, replaced it with a second and wanted to get some closer to the water shots. I got really close a few times but realized I was not recording. For some reason I thought I'll back it up to where I stated, put it in sport, full throttle backwards...right into a tree on the edge of the water and watched it tumble into the pond below.

It was still on when I pulled it out of the water, LEDs were on, I panicked and just pulled the battery out as quickly as possible.

I left it in the sun for a couple of hours and now it sits in a bag of rice.

I read on the phantom forum people disassembling their phantoms. Anyone think I should try that or what should I do now.

FYI, the battery that was in it seems okay. I haven't charged it or anything but it still showing 4 LEDs. It must be okay?

Just sigh!

Reactions: pugsley633
Get it dried and your should be good to go. I assume the water was fresh. If so, you were lucky. I disassembled my Mavic and the vital boards seem to have some kind of seal coating on them. It's not waterproof, but it seems to offer some protection to the water.

Reactions: Drone Man Dan
I dunked a Phantom in a lake about a year ago. 2 days in a tub of rice, flew like new!

I hope you lucked out on that one too!

I do not have any insurance on it. I hope it'll be okay. It broke three of it props too. How could I be so...stupid!

I watched a video of a guy that crashed his Mavic into a river. It was submerged for about half an hour before he found it. He put it in a trash bag and covered it with rice and let it sit for three days. After that it ran like a champ. Hopefully you're back up and running again soon.

Rice trick seems to work for fresh water, or like i used to do to my waterproof watch..... hook it to a small vacuum line and suck the water out of it.

If you have the skills I would highly recommend pulling it totally apart and drying everything out properly, especially the connectors. If you have never done something like this then don't even attempt it,

Rob

Update!

It's okay, the Mavic survived the dunk in the pond. The battery that was in didn't seem to make it though. It's LEDs light up, but it doesn't seem to power up the aircraft for some reason.

Update!

It's okay, the Mavic survived the dunk in the pond. The battery that was in didn't seem to make it though. It's LEDs light up, but it doesn't seem to power up the aircraft for some reason.
You sure you're turning it on correctly by double tapping and holding? Check the leads. A battery that lights up, is a battery that can power the Mavic.

You probably shorted out the battery, and I wouldnt put it back in there even if the lights do come on. I have half a dozen batteries whose lights come on but wont power up a Mavic after being immersed in water.

Do you have a different battery to try?

You probably shorted out the battery, and I wouldnt put it back in there even if the lights do come on. I have half a dozen batteries whose lights come on but wont power up a Mavic after being immersed in water.

Do you have a different battery to try?
Really? How does that work? If the battery is shorted, it should be discharging internally, and getting warm. The lights are coming on, suggesting the onboard computer works. So if it was shorting, it would either be rapidly blinking or not lighting up at all.

I'm inclined to believe the leads may have corroded a bit.

Really? How does that work? If the battery is shorted, it should be discharging internally, and getting warm. The lights are coming on, suggesting the onboard computer works. So if it was shorting, it would either be rapidly blinking or not lighting up at all.

I'm inclined to believe the leads may have corroded a bit.

Note, I tried to charge the battery that got wet and it will not charge. I put it in rice but I'm having second thoughts of even trying it again. For the price of the Mavic I think I'll just buy another battery.

Reactions: Cyberpower678
Just a PSA when it comes to using rice as a desiccant on electronics with optical sensors... Rice generates a lot of dust. For most things, that's not an issue. But if you have non-evaporated water inside the camera lens or on the sensor, and you park it in rice, any dust that gets into that water will remain after the water is gone. That can cause halos, haziness, and other imperfections in your photos/videos.

The best bet is to use actual desiccant which is designed for moisture removal without creating any additional contaminants. In the haste to get get wet electronics dry, rice is an immediate solution. But if you think there's ever a chance your camera equipment might go for a swim, it's probably not a bad idea to invest in something like this: LotFancy 500 Gram Silica Gel Desiccant Packet, Safe Odorless Non-toxic Moisture Absorbing Drying Bag: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Keep it in an empty metal 1 gallon paint can until you need it.

Reactions: Former Member
Crap. It is not okay. The internal cooling fan is not working. I went to fly it and didn't even get off the ground before I got a main board overheating warning. I turned it off right away. Looks like I'm disassembling it.

Reactions: Former Member
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31