DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing drone by catching it in the air

Thiago1029

Reactions
I've been practicing landing my Mavic by catching it by hand on its under belly. I'm going on a boat adventure and I don't want to land it on the deck. I rather catch it by hand. I noticed that when I grab it, the Mavic really tries to break free from my hold sending the propellers in overdrive until it finally powers off. My questions is: could this technique be hurting the Mavic?

Reactions: Hook
Dangerous. You must either be careful not to put your hand under the sonar sensors, or disable VPS.

There are tons of threads and discussions around this.

could this technique be hurting the Mavic?
No. You can prevent that from occurring by disabling the "Landing Protection" setting in DJI GO.

DJI-GO-Landing-Protection.jpg

I just hit the auto land and let it land in my hand I don't disable the sensors. I like the protection and would probably forget to turn them back on for the next flight

Reactions: SeaComms
Dangerous. You must either be careful not to put your hand under the sonar sensors, or disable VPS.

There are tons of threads and discussions around this.
Can the sensor hurt me in any way?
I understand the propeller danger alright.
How do you disable VPS?

I have been either catching or landing my MP on my hand since almost the beginning. I frequently take it off in my hand as well as it sits way to low to the ground. First time I caught sand in the rotors I was done with traditional takeoffs.

One word of caution, pay attention and focus on the quad. I got bit during the 4th's landing as I got distracted by a person asking a lot of questions - good way not bad. Anyway, I went to grab it vs. land it and caught my finger while it was in descend mode. It stung for about an hour and I forgot all about it. I was up flying a couple of minutes later and absolutely no damage to the blade.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kia-6098.111