DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing protection

I'm not sure if you mean this, but an earlier post of yours you stated that with the feature turned off, the Mavic would slam into the ground? I believe that the Mavic will still land at it's normal slow pace. Was that your concern?
It won't slam into the ground on its own, but with landing protection off, it seems you CAN manually slam it into the ground if you'd want to.

As an aside, using on screen take-off and landing "buttons and sliders" is poor airmanship IMO

Poor airmanship? Haha heaven forbid someone using a feature that would save their drone if they were in a situation where they were nervous about a landing. How poor of them, eh??

Flying Mavic is "poor airmanship" to begin from, hey, it flies itself!!! You leave the sticks and it hovers!!! Get rid of the CPU cores inside, stabilize it manually ;-)

Which doesn't explain what an "unsuitable ground" is.

WARNING - SPECULATIVE COMMENTS AHEAD
It's plausible that by using 2 cameras they can determine if the ground is flat enough and perhaps level enough. Using the sonars they can likewise correlate the image height estimate for confirmation.

Reactions: borislip
Poor airmanship? Haha heaven forbid someone using a feature that would save their drone if they were in a situation where they were nervous about a landing. How poor of them, eh??

Pull the stick down. It lands.
Push the stick up. It takes off.

Heaven forbid one actually fly the thing.

If landing protection is on and the drone s/w is not happy it will still stop above the ground and await the stick command.

Flying Mavic is "poor airmanship" to begin from, hey, it flies itself!!! You leave the sticks and it hovers!!! Get rid of the CPU cores inside, stabilize it manually ;-)

Airmanship means doing things in a proper, well thought out way. Using some oddball screen command when the stick are there ain't that IMO.

Reactions: rfc
I always decide myself if its safe to land
Yes, I prefer disabling the automated features too.

what i am afraid about is somehow causing it to land on trees or water during emergency RTH by disabling this
If the battery is critically low, your Mavic is going to land no matter what. While you can direct your Mavic to a safer location while it's auto landing (if the remote controller is connected), there is no way to stop that landing.

Reactions: borislip
If landing protection is on and the drone s/w is not happy it will still stop above the ground and await the stick command
From my experience, having the landing protection on causes it to ALWAYS stop half a meter above the ground and await for FULL stick down. Which i kinda prefer it wouldn't do. And without landing protection, it doesn't.

Airmanship means doing things in a proper, well thought out way. Using some oddball screen command when the stick are there ain't that IMO.
Using this approach any auto mode is poor airmanship. Follow mode? Hey, the sticks are there, follow yourself? Orbiting an object? Sticks!!!

Just to clarify, i do prefer to use the sticks in most of the cases, landing definitely included. But come on, each one and one's own preferences if there is more than one way to do it.

From my experience, having the landing protection on causes it to ALWAYS stop half a meter above the ground and await for FULL stick down. Which i kinda prefer it wouldn't do. And without landing protection, it doesn't.

I have no issue with that pause nor the full stick down landing.

I always decide myself if its safe to land, what i am afraid about is somehow causing it to land on trees or water during emergency RTH by disabling this.

That's the reason I have mine on but hand catch 9 out 10 times. Actually for the last few flights 10 out 10 hand catch.

Using this approach any auto mode is poor airmanship. Follow mode? Hey, the sticks are there, follow yourself? Orbiting an object? Sticks!!!

Just to clarify, i do prefer to use the sticks in most of the cases, landing definitely included. But come on, each one and one's own preferences if there is more than one way to do it.

I'm not against automated features. I just feel that the take-off/landing/confirm sliders in the app are redundant and not at all needed distractions especially for key phases of flight which should be with primary controls.

As to landing protection I've just never bothered turning it off. Not out of preference just because there doesn't seem to be a reason to turn it off.

I'm awaiting a Phantom 4 Pro today which will give me this to think about as I go carefully through all of its settings. C'mon FedEx!

That's the reason I have mine on but hand catch 9 out 10 times. Actually for the last few flights 10 out 10 hand catch.
You hand-catch, yet still have landing protection on? Do you enjoy it trying to power up and escape your grip or something?

Not out of preference just because there doesn't seem to be a reason to turn it off.
Hand catching. Landing protection causes it to try and apply full throttle trying to escape like a wild animal. TUrning landing protection off lets me come under it, pick it up while hovering, and it actually lowers it's RPM after a few moments.

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
You hand-catch, yet still have landing protection on? Do you enjoy it trying to power up and escape your grip or something?

Hand catching. Landing protection causes it to try and apply full throttle trying to escape like a wild animal. TUrning landing protection off lets me come under it, pick it up while hovering, and it actually lowers it's RPM after a few moments.

Like I said, no good reason!:p I haven't had the need to hand launch or catch to date. I suppose I should practice it with both drones just in case I need to at some time.

Like I said, no good reason!:p I haven't had the need to hand launch or catch to date. I suppose I should practice it with both drones just in case I need to at some time.
I'd rather hand-catch than let it land into snow, sand etc

Pull the stick down. It lands.
Push the stick up. It takes off.

Heaven forbid one actually fly the thing.
People that use automatic transmissions in cars really piss me off. Heaven forbid one actually drives the thing.

:rolleyes:

(personally, I fly manually and avoid these features; not because I'm "better" somehow, but rather because I like to)

I don't see the issue with using or not using landing protections. It's just another way of flying. It's like VFR or IFR. Are you telling me you also classify the pilots flying the commercial planes using just instruments to fly as "poor airmanship"? I can guarantee you if there is an option to "slide to take off" on a 737, they would use it religiously. Hell 90% of the times auto pilot is flying the plane.

Would you use it if you knew that in several common cases it would cause undesirable behavior?

Go to the supermarket just in front from were you live and buy yourself a SYMA

Go to the supermarket just in front from were you live and buy yourself a SYMA
I've got one, X5C, pretty easy to fly. I've been quite proficient at flying it before ever considering an expensive quad. But, no, its NOT an unassisted flight anyway. I don't think unassisted quad flight is actually possible.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661