DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing protection

62 hours flying the MP, no undesirable behavior, using ALL the technology i have payed for.. I.e. Auto landing, auto take off, auto what ever.!

Reactions: Gary cato
It tries to determine if it's safe for the Mavic to auto land when it's near the ground. Here's what the Mavic manual says about it:

View attachment 9127

When disabled, your Mavic will not auto land after manually initiating RTH or using the auto land feature. Instead, it'll hover when it descends below 0.5 meters and wait for you to confirm that it's okay to land.

i just tested this 15 mins ago with landing check turned off it does land and does not hover asking for conformation when in RTH as long as precison landing is on when in RTH mine autolanded with no input and descended very very gently then switched itself off (landing protection off, VPS on).

did 3 times autolanded very sweetly exactly where it took off from.

Reactions: borislip and Gp™
So, whats the conclusion? To me it seems the only practical use for landing protection is flying close to the surface, or, for example, examining a roof, while out of LOS, not knowing exactly how high above the surface you fly. In this case the function "may" protect you from hitting the surface. Other than that - i am not sure.

So, whats the conclusion? To me it seems the only practical use for landing protection is flying close to the surface, or, for example, examining a roof, while out of LOS, not knowing exactly how high above the surface you fly. In this case the function "may" protect you from hitting the surface. Other than that - i am not sure.
honestly i just leave mine off and i have never had any issues i can cancel RTH landing myself at any time.

the only use i can see is it gives u a chance to land blvos maybe ion a critical battery landing or a landing BVLOS maybe in waypoint modes on Litchi where u can set your landing awy from your home point.

really i have no idea what it does except stop the drone landing on someones head.

Would you use it if you knew that in several common cases it would cause undesirable behavior?
Personally, I don't use the swipe to land or take off but I still have my sensors running. When I first started I would religiously use the function until I was comfortable with landing and taking off by myself. Now, I use it very sporadically i.e. when someone wants to see all the features of the bird. I still don't think it makes me a poor pilot. It's a feature I would rather not use. It's like cruise control in a car. How often do you use it? Do you think you are a poor driver because you are letting the car (technically) drive by itself? There are know and well documented cases of cruise control going freaky YET we still use it. Same case.

Now, if I have to do some "special maneuvering" then the sensors come off. Depends case by case.

For me this is the pros and cons of this feature:

Pros:
  1. Safer low altitude hovering above objects/surface out of VLOS.
Cons:
  1. Interferes with hand catching/launching.
  2. Dangerous while flying in tight spaces with limited vertical clearance.
  3. May cause annoying "not suitable for landing" false alerts.
The bottom line is, I've kept this feature disabled pretty much since the moment of the original post, experiencing zero issues as a result of disabling it. I may re-enable it as needed, but will usually fly with it disabled.

Reactions: tekken and 2Fast
For me this is the pros and cons of this feature:

Pros:
  1. Safer low altitude hovering above objects/surface out of VLOS.
Cons:
  1. Interferes with hand catching/launching.
  2. Dangerous while flying in tight spaces with limited vertical clearance.
  3. May cause annoying "not suitable for landing" false alerts.
The bottom line is, I've kept this feature disabled pretty much since the moment of the original post, experiencing zero issues as a result of disabling it. I may re-enable it as needed, but will usually fly with it disabled.

You are EXACTLY right. The best answer for the whole thread. I fly out of small windows/balconies of high rise buildings. The Mavic Pro would give me problems. It would not let me fly out. It would give landing errors, it would go up when I try to hand catch. My suggestion is to turn it ON if u fly in open areas with large zones safe for landing (ex. Parking Lots). But if not, turn it OFF and learn to land manually.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661