DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Learning resources

microlinux

Reactions
I'm a purely amateur photographer/videographer, and I mean that in the sense that I typically point and shoot like your average dunce on vacation. Does anyone have any recommendations for books that explain the more technical principles of photography/videography and how to apply them?

Reactions: maggior
You tube videos will do you well, but once you get the concept of Lighting is King your on your way to PRO MODE>

ISO controls Most Lighting
Exposure Setting Dials in Lighting after.
Aperture Dials in Lighting after that
Shutter Speed Dials in after that.

Ok now skip the videos , set up on the Pro Mode and watch the magic happen on the Screen as you adjust each one. If you get the ISO right your almost there.

Once you fumble with all that , than you take it to the editing and fix everything you messed up. lol Thats it.

Auto works for most flights , until it gets confused, Than you take over.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the water.

Thanks for the tips. I know I can watch Youtube videos or Google info, but I'm hoping to find a book that puts it all together in a coherent manner while providing some basic theory.

You should be able to find books about photography and videography at your local library. Some may be a bit dated but the principles remain the same. Red has a page that covers a lot of video information. With drones, the biggest limiter is sensor size because that affects dynamic range (how much difference in light values the sensor can detect without being washed out or black).

I'm a purely amateur photographer/videographer, and I mean that in the sense that I typically point and shoot like your average dunce on vacation. Does anyone have any recommendations for books that explain the more technical principles of photography/videography and how to apply them?
There is no magic bullet in learning photography. There are thousands of resources out there. It has taken me a lifetime to learn the multiple aspects of photography, and I am still learning every day at age 83. The basics are mostly covered in You Tubes. Learn the triangle of exposure (ISO,Shutter, aperture). Watch a lot of videos on the various subjects of still shooting, video, processing files, etc. Consider some workshops too. Find a friend who is into photography and ask the friend to take you out for a day of shooting.

Dale