DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Legacy Drones

Triple r

Reactions
I would like to purchase a Mavic 2 pro but concerned that current Mavic line up will be severely restricted with possible new regulation requirements. Would you still go ahead and purchase one today? Do you feel that ADS-B technology will be mandatory and waiting to see this on future drones would be a better option?
Thanks

Reactions: Classic flyer
That's a great question...I fly the original MP and I'm concerned as well...maybe someone will design an add on device that will be able to meet that requirement, as for that ADS-B requirement I think it's a given...its gonna happen...JMO...be smart fly safe

Reactions: Triple r and WAXMAN
I'm sure the regulators are going to do what they do best, which is to take away the rights of the private citizen. But, my guess is there will be a period of time before total enactment. In the mean time, if I wanted a new (or old?) drone, I would just do it. Have fun while you have time and be careful when it comes time to vote.

Things like this should be like when they introduced the wearing of seat belt laws for cars, cars already manufactured without seat belts at the time being exempt, retro fitting not mandatory.

This is the likely situation. Systems that can be patched to meet the new requirements will have to be updated. It would be illegal not to do so. therefore over 5-10 years 95% of sUAV's will meet the new standards as the legacy ones stop flying. (breakages, lost, owner loses interest etc).

the remaining few legacy systems that are not updated, like Vintage cars, will onlhy come to the attention of the authorities if they do something silly. Which would be the case if it were a legacy drone or a new one. Legacy drones may need an exception certificate.

I would go ahead and purchase. We don't know when (or if) this will be enacted. And more than likely if it is they will grandfather in or release an add on so thousands of drones don't become illegal to fly. If you would like, feel free to shoot us a message and we can see about getting you into the set up you want.

Thanks,
FDS Team

Reactions: jagraphics
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078