DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lens Hood Coming Into View

Here's what I'm talking about. View attachment 10575

No, I don't think that the difference between your two pictures is due to the presence or absence of a lens hood. More likely something with the exposure settings. Look at these pictures. You have the sun there directly in the field of view of both pictures. How could a lens hood possibly help in this situation? The whole idea behind a lens hood is that it blocks direct light (usually direct sunlight) from hitting your lens. But if the sun is in the field of view of the lens, then it's impossible for a lens hood to block out the direct light from the sun without also blocking out your picture. I dunno what caused the apparent difference between these two images, but it has nothing to do with the lens hood.

Would a ND filter help?
Yes. I keep my ND8 on all the time, and go to the ND16 on super bright days and open light colored areas like a wheat field. I don't like taking the filter off and on with this small lightweight gimbal.

No, I don't think that the difference between your two pictures is due to the presence or absence of a lens hood. More likely something with the exposure settings. Look at these pictures. You have the sun there directly in the field of view of both pictures. How could a lens hood possibly help in this situation? The whole idea behind a lens hood is that it blocks direct light (usually direct sunlight) from hitting your lens. But if the sun is in the field of view of the lens, then it's impossible for a lens hood to block out the direct light from the sun without also blocking out your picture. I dunno what caused the apparent difference between these two images, but it has nothing to do with the lens hood.
Wrong. Using all manual settings on my DSLR - I tested it by moving my hand overhead to shade the lens. Same results on my DSLR. The camera does not compensate in Full manual mode.

Last edited:
Would a ND filter help?

The only thing an ND filter would do in a situation like this with the sun in the field of view of the lens would be to increase the likelihood of even more lens flare artifacts by introducing more reflective surfaces in the path of the lens.

Reactions: Bunny Too
Yes. I keep my ND8 on all the time, and go to the ND16 on super bright days and open light colored areas like a wheat field. I don't like taking the filter off and on with this small lightweight gimbal.
I am with you, I leave the nd16 on almost all the time here in Wyoming.

Wrong. I tested it by moving my hand overhead to shade the lens. Same results on my DSLR.

Nope, don't believe your conclusion. You may have changed the automatic exposure settings of the camera by doing that, but that has nothing to do with the function of a lens hood.

Try providing a physical explanation for why a lens hood should make any difference here.

Nope, don't believe your conclusion. You may have changed the automatic exposure settings of the camera by doing that, but that has nothing to do with the function of a lens hood.

Try providing a physical explanation for why a lens hood should make any difference here.
The picture I used as an example isn't from my Mavic. It's not sunny right now, so I just got that one off the internet to use as an example. Yes, I know the sun is visible in both photos. I'll find a photo that the sun isn't visible if that will help you to understand.

I trimmd it . But more sun go in now ... but use it as a protector

I bought probably the exact same one from Amazon, and returned it for a refund. The ad stated it would only show if you made 'quick movements', but that is not at all true. It shows basically EVERY TIME you spin the craft, was worthless for me if you are videoing. I did like the idea of extra protection, but the fact that you can't film at all with it unless the craft is completely still was a deal breaker for me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hippysmavic