DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lens Hood Coming Into View

MrMavic

Reactions
I'm using one of these and I see it come into camera view occasionally. Has anyone else using this hood noticed this also? Maybe someone here has trimmed the hood to prevent this. Any input?

51CcjusXJmL._SL1024_.jpg

Good Morning Mr Mavic,
I've just returned from my first shoot using this and noticed the same. It usually only comes into shot when throttling fast forward or turning abruptly, so will be OK for most shots. However, in windy conditions it appears occasionally when the MP responds to a gust, so that is a problem. I think trimming it is a bad idea as that would prevent it shading the lens - and weaken it in the process.

You don't need it. Just remove it before flight and the problem is solved:)

Yes, i got one the other day and same problem when its windy.

Trouble is if I trim it will it be any use ?

It's been windy, gusty, every day here in Montana, and that's the biggest problem I have with it. I think the benefits out-weigh the minor problems we have with them. It's a huge advantage to block direct sunlight from hitting the lens .... Why? .... Because I have tested many times with my DSLR and there are many times the sun would hit the lens and ruin the shot., fogging and taking away the contrast. You can easily see it on the LCD display. Shading the lens with one hand or just moving into a shadow makes a huge difference. I'll do a couple of comparison shots later today to show the difference.

Reactions: ArranEye
While a bit of lens flair can sometimes add some atmosphere to a shot - there is never a time when prop shadow is wanted, that's why I've got one of these. Hoping to test it out over the long weekend if the sun comes out. I'm assuming you see the edges of the hood at the side when the gimbal is trying to cancel out some yaw movement due to wind or quick turns.

There was a post earlier where many people were taking a dremmel and trimming a little, testing and trimming until they got it custom for them. The lens of the Mavic does not really lend itself to a lens shade. However wear eye protection and observe all standard precautions.

You might want to be careful trimming any of these that are made from a 3D printer. Some are known to split and crack rather easily.

Reactions: Bunny Too
While a bit of lens flair can sometimes add some atmosphere to a shot - there is never a time when prop shadow is wanted, that's why I've got one of these. Hoping to test it out over the long weekend if the sun comes out. I'm assuming you see the edges of the hood at the side when the gimbal is trying to cancel out some yaw movement due to wind or quick turns.
Yes Owen, you are quite right. In stable conditions with gentle manoeuvres the hood does not appear in shot, so I think it's of benefit. It's a different story in gusty conditions though and I even saw the upper edge of mine this morning while flying forward at full throttle.
I think it's pointless to trim it though, as some are suggesting, because this will defeat its whole purpose!

Yes Owen, you are quite right. In stable conditions with gentle manoeuvres the hood does not appear in shot, so I think it's of benefit. It's a different story in gusty conditions though and I even saw the upper edge of mine this morning while flying forward at full throttle.
I think it's pointless to trim it though, as some are suggesting, because this will defeat its whole purpose!

I had a shot last night that the hood helped on. That said, go into sport and do some flying and if you are at gimbal top or bottom, it will come into view during strong maneuvers.
If I'm trying to do slow cinematic shots, it never comes into view unless a gust of wind hits the drone. In those instances I would be inclined to just remove it.

I think the real benefit is gimbal armor. If this thing takes a hit and saves the gimbal from a $300 repair, it's worth it to keep on there.

Reactions: Ebruce and ArranEye
Learn to fly slower and/or smoother . Isn't that the goal of a camera drone anyway ? It does a decent job of preventing most lens flair and offers some protection of the gimbal if one were to get into tree limbs or crash . There's give and take in any choice of accessory . You can't have everything .

Reactions: Ebruce
I have one and it comes into view sometimes. I won't use it most times, but if a particular shot brings a lot of lens flare I'll add it on and take it easy on the sticks.

You guys all have good points. I have improved my flying greatly, and I can usually prevent the hood from showing up. One thing I did that others might want to try is to soften the Yaw and Attitude by quite a bit. My settings that seem to be working to help are:
GAIN - YAW / 80
SENSITIVITY - ATTITUDE / 65
BRAKE / 115
YAW / 50

Reactions: mamayda
Points indicated have been "Dremelized" with a sanding drum. It still makes a brief appearance when the camera is downward, but I have plenty more material to work with if it proves to be a hindrance. Video frames can be cut, after all, if a small number are involved.
EDIT; the entire top has been reduced, which is here on the right. I did such a great job of smoothing it, the photo doesn't show it, but now I remember cutting that back.

lenshoodMavic.jpg

Last edited:
I like the occasional lens flare but I also have one of these for those times I don't want it.
79d478c423c1acd052776572c4785cbb.jpg

I like the occasional lens flare but I also have one of these for those times I don't want it.
79d478c423c1acd052776572c4785cbb.jpg

The problem is that the necessarily wide and open lens hoods used on Mavics won't do much to help with lens flare except for a small fraction of pictures. With or without a lens hood, if the sun is within the wide field of view of the Mavic's lens, then you're going to have lens flare. Also, with or without a lens hood, if the sun is located anywhere in the rear hemisphere of the direction the Mavic is pointed in, then you're not going to get any lens flare. There are not too many angles for which a lens hood is going to make any difference for a moderately wide angle lens like that on a Mavic.

It's not so much the lens flare I'm trying to eliminate, but the washout effect you get with the sun directly on the lens. I'll show you a comparison if the sun ever comes out here again. It's almost like shooting in a good (Saturation / Contrast / Exposure) and then all of a sudden switching to DLog.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13