DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Level takeoff?

I suppose it depends on how it lifts. when you calibrate the IMU it has to be done on a level surface, so your Mavic knows what level looks like. So if you put it on a sloped surface it presumably knows that this is not level. Assumption I make here is that when you ask for take off it will lift level, i.e. if pointing up hill the tail will lift until the aircraft is level before actually getting airborne. If it does do that then the danger is that the front props will strike the ground infront of the aircraft. more likely if the aircraft is pointing down hill, the tail props hitting the ground.

At some point it must regain its idea of level, otherwise you would be flying about nose high or nose down.

As I always look for a level take off point, level to me anyway' not really experienced a really sloped take off and I hand catch if landing on anything other than a solid surface.

I usually hand launch, which is never level. As long as the imu is calibrated it will be fine.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Thanks for the info everyone. I just wanted to know how fussy I needed to be about being level. This sounds good.

As long as the props swing free and don't hit the ground it will take off, this is one of the things I tested when I first got it.

Ive tried various grounds/inclinations and everything is fine.

I did try a humid/wet rock that had certain inclination - once the propellers fired up, the drone started drifting because it didnt grip the rock. Had to lift it up pretty quickly.

Full disclosure, I takeoff and land in horrible conditions. I have hand caught only twice. The Mavic, because it has a much wider base, is far more stable than my Phantom. The Mavics feet are located almost directly under the props and the center of gravity is low. It almost impossible to tip it over.

Same as the guys above, as long as it's not tipped far enough to slide off of the rock and hit the ground, it will level immediately :)

He probably uses the auto take off feature would be my guess... one button push on the app...

Yup, that's the easiest way. Also, as another poster has said you can also hold the controller to your body and get the sticks inwards with one hand.
By the way, I've had none of the auto launch motor cut off problems that have been reported in other threads, but I rarely take off with a battery that's any less than 80%.

Last edited:
How do you get both sticks down and in with your remaining hand to start the motors?
I hold the Mavic in my right hand and use my right elbow for the right stick. That way the controller is always firmly in my left hand. I still get good clearance away from my head this way.

Reactions: Wacker2611
Ah I see thanks for the replies. Must try that auto take off button. Forgot it was even there - although I suppose I use the equivalent all the time when I hit the Play button for a Litchi WPT mission.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaVVT