DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lifejacket for Mavic Finished

Uh, mavek is so small.. would like to modify design..

..be fRee and fLy..
Then you defeat the purpose. Its intentions is to hold up Mavic in water in case of accident, Not to look pretty, if you decrease the pontoons size then it wont have flotation to weight ability.

Sent from my SM-G900I using MavicPilots mobile app

Why do I think that contraption will cause more problems then it prevents? I suppose it would allow you to recover your bird but how much more stress is that putting on your Mavic. How much more likely is the added weight going to cause a problem. Even more critical is the additional amount of surface area that will make flying in the wind pretty perilous. I won't even put prop guards on mine because I don't won't to create a sail.. I love the creativity but I wouldn't use it. Good luck and post videos of it in flight. I'm really curious as to exactly how airworthy the Mavic is with a sail attached.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I admire the effort that went into actually making it. The problem is that the design lacks any appreciation for physics. There is no way on earth that those three support points are going to hold the unit on the Mavic during a crash. The Mavic will rip away from the flotation section almost instantly. If this happens out at sea all you will find is the two pontoons and the rest of the flotation plastic floating on the water and the Mavic will be down in Davey Jones locker possibly hundreds of yards away.

My suggestion is to create some sort of double harness strap that goes over the body of the Mavic and holds the assembly on tightly. You might want to simulate the hold down points on a plate of plexiglass that is the size of the Mavic and then tie strap on a full bottle of bottled water and throw the contraption up into the air and see what happens when it hits the water. I suspect you are going to find endless weak points in the design that will either show up or not show up depending on the speed and angle that the craft hits the water.

The one good thing about the current design is that I think it will survive a controlled landing by the mavic if the battery runs low but as to what will happen when its on the water is another issue. Will it tip over or stay upright?

I think these are a great first attempt to add "insurance" when flying over water. Sure there are trade offs with windage (reduced downward thrust) and flight performance, but you will always have to weigh up the pro's and con's.
Well done for actually doing it.

The "balls "look much less aerodynamic than this design although I have seen videos of them flying short distances landing and take off. But for recovery after a forced splash down I like the looks of these

Sent from my SM-G900V using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: Dragonfly
..no worries, guys. It's a 'seed' and I'm sure a bunch of us will get the design improved eventually.. :cool:

Ive finally found the last pieces to complete the water landing gear for Mavic Pro. After much searching I found a egg type plastic shell that held a toy that split in half to open and was the perfect shape and size to fit in the ends of the noodles to make them more aerodynamic. This gives the water landing gear a better look and remains lightweight at 100gms.
The water landing gear will hold up over 1kg of weigh with ease and the Mavic at 730 gms sits in the water at about a third of the noodles.
Now very happy to fly over water knowing should anything go wrong my Mavic wont end up at the bottom thanks to its lifejacket/water gear.
7474a2ad2fa72ddb0bd22b2f0657d4a6.jpg

a34018e9dba926f5bb6d42f2d9b979a5.jpg

can we see it installed?

It interests me as I and a group are leaseing a boat in the BVI next Jan. for a 10 days I plan on lots of videos/pictures.

I think it is bad ***, definite A for effort.
Regards,
-d.

Ive finally found the last pieces to complete the water landing gear for Mavic Pro. After much searching I found a egg type plastic shell that held a toy that split in half to open and was the perfect shape and size to fit in the ends of the noodles to make them more aerodynamic. This gives the water landing gear a better look and remains lightweight at 100gms.
The water landing gear will hold up over 1kg of weigh with ease and the Mavic at 730 gms sits in the water at about a third of the noodles.
Now very happy to fly over water knowing should anything go wrong my Mavic wont end up at the bottom thanks to its lifejacket/water gear.
7474a2ad2fa72ddb0bd22b2f0657d4a6.jpg

a34018e9dba926f5bb6d42f2d9b979a5.jpg

I thought this was a great idea, but $50 for the printed parts is a little over the top. I'll wait for the injection molding products for a fraction of the cost.

If the Mavic fell from the sky I think it would be drone upside down because that's the heavy side.

Reactions: Rexhed

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frostseb