DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lifejacket for Mavic Finished

Ive finally found the last pieces to complete the water landing gear for Mavic Pro. After much searching I found a egg type plastic shell that held a toy that split in half to open and was the perfect shape and size to fit in the ends of the noodles to make them more aerodynamic. This gives the water landing gear a better look and remains lightweight at 100gms.
The water landing gear will hold up over 1kg of weigh with ease and the Mavic at 730 gms sits in the water at about a third of the noodles.
Now very happy to fly over water knowing should anything go wrong my Mavic wont end up at the bottom thanks to its lifejacket/water gear.
7474a2ad2fa72ddb0bd22b2f0657d4a6.jpg

a34018e9dba926f5bb6d42f2d9b979a5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900I using MavicPilots mobile app
It looks cool.

Very nice work... :cool:

Reactions: Mike_Flys
Hi, Ive just had my 3D mounts printed off and did a test flight today with the same set up (minus the egg domes). A few questions if you don't mind. Did you work out an optimal length for the tubes 1. For remaining clear of gimble/camera FOV and 2. For remaining clear of any sensors. Also do you fly any of the sensors disabled or can you have everything turned on as normal. I found that basic flight was stable but the Mavic kept going into an undemanded slow climb with no stick input which I could only put down to the downward sensors detecting an obstacle! I could quickly overcome this by switching to sports mode to regain stable hover height. Slightly confusing because the 3D bracket and noodles are not (in my mind) anywhere near the FOV of the downward sensors but as soon as I removed the Noodle tube and flew with the 3D bracket only everything seemed to be back to normal with no interference. Having read the thread, I cant find any mention of sensor modes being deactivated etc so just wondered if you have seen any similar behaviour? Thanks

woaw.. super! something worth to take for "water" missions!

WOW! can you rig a 2 diff strobe on each end for dusk/night flight?
That is freakiin awesome.

I really like this idea.

Sure, it probably won't allow a Mavic to survive a water landing. I really just want something to send back for Care Refresh rather than consign it to Poseidon forever.

Maybe it would come apart in a crash from altitude. Maybe not. Do we really think Mavics fall out of the sky that often? My concern is the several scenarios that could result in a landing or auto-landing on the water. I figure if it drops from the sky and falls a significant distance it doesn't matter much if it's over the jungle or over the water with or without a system like this - I'll probably never find the bits.

Since one of my planned uses involves filming reefs, I'll be flying over the sea at relatively low altitude (thus not much falling would be involved). I also like the idea of these even just as skids for a landing on sand (e.g., forced landing other than the original Home Point).

Reactions: Dragonfly
Wait... That isn't just held on by clipping into the little black rear landing skids on the body, is it? Mine have fallen off spontaneously, and I don't have anything hanging off them. If that's the case, then I have to agree with the concerns that the Mavic would be too likely to become separated from the flotation system.

Flight testing with my 3D Flotation Undercarriage.
No severe effects to handling characteristics, no significant battery drain or loss of flight time. Some slight instability in gusty wind conditions due to the 'noodle' cross section, but thats to be expected.
The main issue I have experienced on about 50% of my flight testing has been an uncommanded climb during various phases of flight. I suspected this to be interference within the FOV of the downward sensors giving a false indication of an object beneath the drone. Initially I simply overcome this by switching to 'Sports Mode' and as with ANY general sensor related uncommanded issue experienced on my Mavic, the 'Sports Mode' switch is the single quick escape option to regain control.

Longer term, having investigated further, I overcome the uncommanded climb issue by simply disabling the 'Precision Landing' system in the 'Advanced Sensors' page. This actually works better overall for operating from a RIB/Boat as it prevents
a. Drone from Auto-Landing (without slide bar confirmation from a 6ft/1.5ft hover)
b. Drone from climbing away when placing your hand beneath it during a 'Hand Recovery' option.

Reactions: Fried Toast
I have to say, I'm impressed. This opens a new world for using the MP while out on the water. Very innovative!

I thought this was a great idea, but $50 for the printed parts is a little over the top. I'll wait for the injection molding products for a fraction of the cost.
Yeah these are really cool but hopefully they now become a Chinese made cheap eBay purchase at some point since $50 or so is pretty expensive but undoubtedly worth it if you ever actually need to use them! I just got a getterback so I'm going to keep an eye out to see if these get mass produced at a lower cost at some point.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk