DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lifting with diy drop mechanism

I think its a great Idea and making a very worthy use of a mavic ...just a thought you could drop a thinner line then tie the more substantial rope to it so the victim can pull the life line in
if you save just one life its worth a try
Dave

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
I think its a great Idea and making a very worthy use of a mavic ...just a thought you could drop a thinner line then tie the more substantial rope to it so the victim can pull the life line in
if you save just one life its worth a try
Dave
Often the victim in the icy water cannot even put a PFD on, never mind haul in a heavier rope. Delivering a set of Ice Spikes may be a better use of time sometimes. (Of course, not if they're not "Approved, Official Rescue" Ice Spikes") ;)

Hey Lapeer, I happened to see this yesterday and took a pic of it. Maybe something you can use?
b3cb6559e556c8bb65e7b0c6b1fcd9bc.jpg

Self-locking fingers
Extra anti-slip material on the inside of two fingers
A built-in resettable fuse protects the N20 screw motor from short-circuits and over-current
Voltage: 12v
Operating current: ≤110mA
Speed: 600±10%RPM

Last edited:
Hey Lapeer, I happened to see this yesterday and took a pic of it. Maybe something you can use?
b3cb6559e556c8bb65e7b0c6b1fcd9bc.jpg

Self-locking fingers
Extra anti-slip material on the inside of two fingers
A built-in resettable fuse protects the N20 screw motor from short-circuits and over-current
Voltage: 12v
Operating current: ≤110mA
Speed: 600±10%RPM

That's pretty cool.

Often the victim in the icy water cannot even put a PFD on, never mind haul in a heavier rope. Delivering a set of Ice Spikes may be a better use of time sometimes. (Of course, not if they're not "Approved, Official Rescue" Ice Spikes") ;)

I agree. Hauling a heavier rope is likely impractical, so is donning a life jacket. Dexterity and the cognitive function to perform fine motor tasks will likely be quite limited. I envision more of a sling the can slip their arm into like this:

image.jpeg

There is no perfect solution. But the more tools available in the toolbox the more likely we are to have a positive outcome.

I’ll go ahead and leave this right here

Their lifesaving potential isn't just speculation either. In a recent study of news reports, DJI, one of the global leaders in the drone market, concluded that drones were responsible for helping save one life per week.

There are even specific instances where drones have legitimately saved lives. In 2013, an injured driver stranded in a snowy area of Saskatchewan, Canada, was located by Canadian police using a Draganflyer X4-ES drone with an infrared camera after a helicopter search turned up nothing. In a separate case in 2015, the Auburn (Maine) Fire Department used a DJI Phantom 3 to drop down life vests to an 18-year-old man stranded in the middle of the river.

"There's already tons of proof points. This is not theory," UAV expert Mike Winn told Digital Trends in an interview. "Drones have already helped save lots of people by doing things like providing dropping ropes to people so they can secure a way across. They can provide proper resources during flood situations where there's lots of water but no fresh water. Drones can drop things like fresh water and food."

Drones helped rescue these guys today...

Reactions: Neebles
Lapeer thanks for the post. Cool idea and it gets the juices flowing for all of us. WillyWanka, it really does seem like you don't understand what is being described. These forums have been a source of much help and information. Great discussion and community. Your voice here helps with none of these things.

I could see this idea working.
A quick and easy drop mechanism is a short piece of aluminum flat bar stock bent to an L shape. Attach to bottom of drone, horizontal length pointed forward. Hang loop tied in rope on bottom of L hook, take off and fly out to destination then turn 180 and fly backwards and rope will drop.

What's the weight of this unit? and how does that compare to your release weight?

I finally gave in and bought a commercially made drop mechanism.

Mine functioned well but this one looks much much better!

View attachment 33086
View attachment 33087

I was thinking of getting this exact setup after watching the video [emoji6].
I visit my Brother in Maui, and it looks like a cool way to go fishing. He goes on boats regularly and catches BIG tuna. Imagine getting one of those from the beach using the drone [emoji106]
I just have to make sure no one throws my Mavic in the ocean [emoji16]
Are you 100% happy with the function of this setup? I can see this thing having a lot of different uses. I’d like to see it being used to save people [emoji106]

I was thinking of getting this exact setup after watching the video [emoji6].
I visit my Brother in Maui, and it looks like a cool way to go fishing. He goes on boats regularly and catches BIG tuna. Imagine getting one of those from the beach using the drone [emoji106]
I just have to make sure no one throws my Mavic in the ocean [emoji16]
Are you 100% happy with the function of this setup? I can see this thing having a lot of different uses. I’d like to see it being used to save people [emoji106]

I have not been able to test this unit much. It arrived and I had to leave almost immediately on a business trip. So I installed it and open/closed the mechanism several times but I did not actually do any flying.

When I get home I will put it through its paces so I can give a proper review.

Unfortunately, we cannot use this for fishing in Michigan.

Sorry, but it is a crapshoot.
As a first responder (and yes I live near the ice 5 months+ a year and yes I have helped folks on the ice), the idea is to KISS (keep it super simple)
That's why I rest my CASE

Well first off, it's (Keep It Simple Stupid) but maybe that is too hurtful for your group. Secondly, you're a first responder? In what capacity, did you take a CPR course once or are you a career firefighter? Well I have been on the job almost 25yrs, as a firefighter/paramedic, I also am certified in swift water rescue, ropes, ice rescue, hazmat, and also run the drone program at my fire dept. I can say with the utmost certainty you are talking out of your ***. You are not comprehending what Lapeer20 and Neebles are saying, rescuers on the shore have a hold of excess rope, drone takes the other end of rope ABOVE victim, no way they can grab it. The rope is dropped to victim, the second the victim has the rope, rescuers can start pulling, how do you not get that. Have you ever put on an Ice rescue suit? It's a pain in the ***, and takes about 5-7min, you could easily deploy a drone in way less than that, and have rescuers that aren't getting in the ice suit at the shoreline with rope.

As far as capability, Lapeer20 never said he was going to use the Mavic Pro as the fire departments go-to rescue drone. He was simply using it on a smaller scale, training type excersise to show the others at his dept., I'm thinking the chiefs especially, who make the decisions to purchase new equipment. I did the exact same thing, with the exact same drone. Our Chief and board of directors were impressed enough to approve the purchase of a DJI S1000 octocopter. Not to mention, many fire departments, especially volunteer ones, don't have a budget like full time staffed departments, they get by with whatever they have available, and if that's good enough to save a life, who cares if that drone was appropriate or not.

Plus, in a pinch, the Mavic would be more than capable of dropping a light weight rope, and operates fine in sub 0 tempatures, in fact cold weather is better on the motors unless your talking -50 or something extreme like that. I would also like to know where it states a fire dept can't use a members consumer drone, or where the FAA has a list of what drones are allowed to preform what duties. If I see a civilian with even a toy grade drone and I think it can help my departments rescue operation in ANY WAY, I would absolutely ask to use it. I know this is an older post, but your trollish responses really pissed me off. Now you can rest your case.

Attachments

• 1496685_184155028444667_512020224_n.jpg
    1496685_184155028444667_512020224_n.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 9
Nice!

You better have a drone that is ready for extreme weather and emergency situations and certified for your purpose. The Mavic pro is NOT! You don't get your fire truck from anybody, or your hoses without certifications. No fire department will use a "private drone". Think about it. Only because you think about using a "drone" for "surveillance" purposes (using a Mavic Pro is for that purpose is inappropriate anyway) gives you no permission to use it for official rescue operations. I am amazed that you would even consider this!

With a wet suit the Mavic is prepared for extreme weather.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones